New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need help choosing a 400 2.8

JMDobson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help choosing a 400 2.8

I have looked around online for reviews pitting many of the 400 2.8 lenses head-to-head and came up short. I was hoping that the collective experience here would be able to come up with something.

Here's the situation I find myself right now - I'm shooting football with a D3S and the Sigma 120-300 2.8 sport. It autofocuses reasonably enough to get what I need, but I am always applying some heavy cropping. I have been eyeing the nikon 400 DII version, which goes for about 5000 on a good day, and the VR version, which would really hurt my budget. Has anyone here shot with these two lenses and can chime in about autofocus speed/accuracy?

For instance, at a dark HS football game, is there really a difference between the two about tracking players, or is the difference really only on paper? It would be helpful if there was a reference point, like a 70-200 to say how fast they are.

Thank you all for your help. I'm a staff photog at a small daily paper, so every dollar counts when it comes to gear.

Sep 11, 2015 at 03:37 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help choosing a 400 2.8

I shoot high school football with a D4 and a 400 AFS II, previously with a 300 2.8 AFS II. The AF is very fast and accurate, but not perfect. I really noticed how much easier it was to fill the frame with the 400 - I kind of got lazy and didn't move as much to follow the play as compared to the 300.

That said, I think if you move enough then your Sigma will stand you in good stead. I don't know how fast the AF is on it, but I had heard it was pretty close to the Nikons. I have to shoot with a 70-200 on a 2nd body and had considered a 120-300 Sport just to avoid that.

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:01 PM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help choosing a 400 2.8

I have a 400 2.8 VR - and had a 400 2.8 AFS-II for several years before that. I've used both a D3s and a D4 on each lens and they are equally fast in AF acquisition and lock. The VR is awesome, but when shooting sports, that isn't all that important with higher shutter speeds anyway. The biggest difference to me is the contrast and color depth.

As for the reference you asked about, the 70-200 vs 400 2.8... IMHO, my 400 2.8VR is faster than my 70-200.

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:03 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help choosing a 400 2.8

Your question is somewhat under qualified.

And I say this for a few reasons. First being, this is a very expensive piece of glass and by the way the question is asked, we don't know why you are after it, nor do we know if this is paying a bill or two for you... or most importantly. Your budget.

The "best" would be... the newest model. But is it what you need?

Although VR has come on all the latest versions -- I think it pointless for what I do. My minimum speed is 1/800 +/-, so the 400 is in a pretty sharp safe area with ME and I never use it. If I was shooting birds and alike.. It's consideration.

The older glass is remarkable period. Right from the ED-IF models (around 1K to 1.3K) all the way up.. Don't let the 'warranty' George W people scare the scat out of you with horror stories of silent wave motor failures deter you. These are monster glass pieces built for decades of imaging.

So depending on what you NEED (not want) and budgetary concerns.. Grab anything in between and just get shooting. I know guy from a wire service that still shoots and ED-IF 400 and wouldn't part with it on a death threat.. He claims 'nothing I've used touches this bokeh'... He's been in the game 28 years, who can argue that?

I too have 2 different models of this glass -- I took his advice and bought into one of those older ED-IF jobs.. I LIKE IT ! It's a tad slower on the screw drive focus compared to the newer model.. But nothing I'll make excuses for, and nothing I can't make up for in the years I've done this with focus limiting and just..... the right timing.

Don't know if ANY of that helped or --- hurt you. Best of luck mate.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:14 AM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help choosing a 400 2.8

Thank you all so much for the responses. This info is exactly the kind I need. I have been leaning towards the AFS-II version for a while, and this helps solidify that idea. I will respond in the order of posted.

Mitch: I wish I didn't need to follow the play so hard with my 300. I want to fill the frame more, but the focusing capabilities are what I am really trying to improve. Last night I was shooting at a game where the brightest spot on the field was ISO 25600 @2.8 1/400th I'm thinking a clean prime lens might have a higher T-stop than this big zoom, and could really help the camera find focus.

Next39: Thank you for chiming in with experience from both lenses. After printing on the newspaper, the image looses enough quality that if the focus is the same, I don't see a reason to spend the extra cash.

John: Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know there are excellent pieces of older glass out there, and I have used some of the 300mm versions and the 400 3.5AIS. Yes, I am paying for the lens myself, however, I'd be able to afford the lens with enough prep ahead of time. I'm not freelancing, so I can rely on a steady paycheck from shooting, so it all comes down to just being frugal if I can get away with it. I figure I'd sell the sigma after the 400 purchase to recoup about half the price.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.