Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

charlesk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

I currently have a situation outstanding where a major website is using one of my photos without payment, credit or permission. This has prompted me to realize that I have never gotten around to registering my online work at the copyright office.

The copyright rules are somewhat byzantine. I currently have 750+ images online, and I add more on a semi-regular basis, generally in batches.

What is an effective way for me to register my "back catalog" and also handle registering new work that I put online, without it getting cost-prohibitive? I don't make a lot on this, really, and the $35 fees would add up.

Thanks.

Sep 11, 2015 at 08:51 AM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

One thing that is especially confusing to me is how to handle older images that were initially published say in 2004, but have been subsequently reprocessed and republished in a later year. Should these be done separately?

Sep 11, 2015 at 09:34 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

B&H just posted a Youtube video talking all about copyrighting photos. It's a long presentation but well worth watching and explains the entire process. Just go to Youtube and then B&H channel.

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:22 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

Thanks.

I think I need to register my old images because the new ones are considered derivative work. But it feels strange to register images that aren't even the current ones on my website.

I'll watch the video but nobody ever covers this issue.

Sep 11, 2015 at 02:28 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

The presenters in the B&H video also sell a book.

The Copyright Zone

It might have more info that you are seeking.

Sep 11, 2015 at 02:41 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

Still poking around, can't find anything.

Maybe the answer is "all of the above". Register the old photos and the revised/current ones as well.

Sep 11, 2015 at 03:08 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

you own the copyright when you push the shutter button - registration is a good idea because it means that statutory damages are presumed (the Defs. will have to rebut that presumption).

in general, you send a copy of the work to the federal copyright office with a filled in form or cover letter - go to their web site and you will find some info on it

Sep 11, 2015 at 03:48 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

It's much more complicated than that, unfortunately, when dealing with photographs. I have hundreds of them, different ones put online at different times, multiple versions, etc.

You can register them in groups but only by year, so it is an expensive proposition.

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:28 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

http://copyright.gov/eco/faq.html

all items in a "collection" have to be taken in the same year?

Sep 11, 2015 at 05:15 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

Near as I can tell, each group can only contain images *published* in the same year (not *taken*). Which means I'd have to do several registrations as mine were put online in 4 different years.

All of my photos have been subsequently revised, but the copyright should still be valid as they were minor enhancements (color and crop changes).

However, each registration is now $55 which for a non-pro like myself is a lot.

What's worse is that the only way to get a really reliable straight answer is to hire a lawyer, and that's $300 an hour.

Sep 12, 2015 at 07:04 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

can't you contact the copyright office and find out what the process is? I've heard you just put any images that you want to register on a disk-they can be any resolution and then register the whole disk. so if that is correct, maybe once a year you take all the images and downsize them and copy to dvd or blueray and send to the copyright office.

Sep 12, 2015 at 08:02 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

charlesk wrote:
Near as I can tell, each group can only contain images *published* in the same year (not *taken*). Which means I'd have to do several registrations as mine were put online in 4 different years.

All of my photos have been subsequently revised, but the copyright should still be valid as they were minor enhancements (color and crop changes).

However, each registration is now $55 which for a non-pro like myself is a lot.

What's worse is that the only way to get a really reliable straight answer is to hire a lawyer, and that's $300 an hour.

If you're not a pro, it's unlikely that you'll need to copyright your images. There are copious amounts of good photography on micro-stock sites that are cheap and easy to purchase. Issues might arise with individuals in foreign countries using images for their small businesses. And in that case, good luck collecting, even with copyrighted images.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

eco is $35 IIRC

if you can point me to the requirement for images *published* in the same year, I'll take a look at it

I agree re the collection issue

Sep 12, 2015 at 01:23 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

The fee for a 'standard' registration such as that used for a group of photos is $55. The $35 is for the 'single' registration.

The same year thing is mentioned here. The author of that piece is Carolyn Wright from photoattorney.com

Sep 12, 2015 at 01:29 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

The rules are definitely vague. It's best if you can register a complete batch of images that are new in one fell swoop. That's the most efficient and cost effective method. After that I think you need to separate into published and unpublished by year and do each group. If you're lucky you can get down to three or four groups of images and keep the costs fairly minimal.

I recently re-registered a single image just to be sure and that single image was $55. The price has gone up. It used to be $45 for mail in and $35 for online. It's still best to have an account on the website and do it online. You can upload jpegs as part of the process and pay through the Treasury Dept. portal. But all in all, the LoC Copyright Office website is one of the worst government sites I've ever encountered. Once you figure out all the stupid things they've done, if you haven't slit your throat by then, it'll get a bit easier, but then you have to re-learn it every time you go back.

The model for how to do a government site right is, and has been for over a decade, the California Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

Sep 14, 2015 at 02:32 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

"The $35 is for the 'single' registration."

but can't you do a collection of images as a single registration?

Sep 14, 2015 at 04:19 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

Does anyone know the dimensions/resolution minimum for eCO submissions?

Sep 17, 2015 at 06:04 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Copyright registration - how do you do it?

You can register a Copyright for a single image or a collection of images with Form VA, or even an entire website including the all of the text and the images on it with Form TX. For that last turn the entire website into a PDF, burn it to CD, and use that as the submission material. U.S. forms and instructions are at copyright.gov. or just Google what you need.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.