Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Cyber Commander as trigger, out of hotshoe?

BrandonRussell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cyber Commander as trigger, out of hotshoe?

This should be simple to figure out but I haven't had any luck searching, nor have I been able to make this work. I trigger Einsteins on my 5D3 from the PCB Cyber Commander and I want to get it off the hot shoe, or at least share the hot shoe (on a bracket) so that I can also stick an LED light up there to help with focus in low light. I'd also like to run the CC as the trigger, and a CamRanger on the hot shoe at the same time.
I've tried to do it with the CC out of the hot shoe, plugged into the PC port. The flash wouldn't trigger.
Does anybody have any ideas? This shouldn't be as complicated as I've made it but I can't figure it out.
Do I need something like this PCB hot shoe adapter?: http://www.paulcbuff.com/hsa.php ?

Thank you guys as always.
Brandon

Sep 10, 2015 at 06:17 PM
Egor
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cyber Commander as trigger, out of hotshoe?

Do you mean you used the "PC" port or the "Flash Sync" port?
You should be able to just plug in the CC to the "flash sync" port on the camera (5D3 has one for sure).
If that isn't working, try any strobe plugged directly into the sync port 1st to make sure your sync port is working.
We used to set that up (CC dangling out the side hanging from its sync cord) with 5D2's all day long until I broke down and got the CST's so the CC just stayed with the shooter in his pocket for controlling the lights

Sep 11, 2015 at 06:20 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cyber Commander as trigger, out of hotshoe?

That should work, but I find the PC port connection less reliable than it should be (IMHO it's a bad design). You should be able to get a hotshoe to 3.5mm phono jack adapter which I find much more reliable, and it should work just fine (you'll need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable as well). I too did what Egor did with CST's on camera and the CC on a lanyard around my neck and it worked as well.

Sep 13, 2015 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.