New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

Drove down to Hamlet NC this morning. All the way down their I was hoping for partly cloudy for a more interesting sky.

This depot is still a working Am Trak stop. They restored it and moved it further away from the tracks a few years ago. I wanted it to have an early 1900s vibe to it. let me know if I succeeded and any ways to improve.

Thanks

Walt

Sep 10, 2015 at 04:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

Are the edge marks and discolored areas top and right edge part of the aging look thing? There seems to be a slight halo along the roof line

Sep 10, 2015 at 05:08 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

Beautifully done and great architecture
Sky ain't bad either😀
I think a bit faded less contrast version possibly with some negative vignette and distressed marks, uneven edges might give a stronger vibe if you want to intensify that statement
But I like it plenty as is
Nice job!
Scott

Sep 10, 2015 at 07:47 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

Nicely done. My only suggestion is to pp the station sign to make the town name more readable.

Steve

Sep 10, 2015 at 09:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

+1 @ the others.

Interesting take on the faux deterioration. But, I'm a little unsure about having the "purple" fading on a sepia era. I don't recall seeing that in real life occur. Also, the "centric" color shift looks kind of contrived to my eye for some reason., can't quite put my finger on it, though.

That said ... I'm sure it would fool a whole lot of folks as is.

Sep 10, 2015 at 09:29 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

ben egbert wrote:
Are the edge marks and discolored areas top and right edge part of the aging look thing? There seems to be a slight halo along the roof line

Yes Ben it is part of the aged look, and I will fix the halo.

Thanks for responding

Walt

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:48 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

sbeme wrote:
Beautifully done and great architecture
Sky ain't bad either😀
I think a bit faded less contrast version possibly with some negative vignette and distressed marks, uneven edges might give a stronger vibe if you want to intensify that statement
But I like it plenty as is
Nice job!
Scott

Thank you Scott, I have one version with less fading and a negative vignette, I preferred this one.

Walt

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:52 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

eeneryma wrote:
Nicely done. My only suggestion is to pp the station sign to make the town name more readable.

Steve

Steve I was bummed about the sign also, it was the way the sun was coming in, not sure how to make it more readable.

Thanks for responding

Walt

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:54 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ the others.

Interesting take on the faux deterioration. But, I'm a little unsure about having the "purple" fading on a sepia era. I don't recall seeing that in real life occur. Also, the "centric" color shift looks kind of contrived to my eye for some reason., can't quite put my finger on it, though.

That said ... I'm sure it would fool a whole lot of folks as is.

Thank you Kent for the insight, I will look at working with more of a sepia color.

Walt

Sep 11, 2015 at 04:55 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

Nice shot, Walt!

+1 to addressing the purple/magenta on the edges and bringing down some of the highlights.

Cheers,

Jeff

Sep 11, 2015 at 06:33 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

beavens wrote:
Nice shot, Walt!

+1 to addressing the purple/magenta on the edges and bringing down some of the highlights.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff for commenting.

I have included a slightly reworked image based on suggestions. I couldn't make the sign more legible Maybe I will learn a way in the future.

Walt

Edited on Sep 11, 2015 at 05:49 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2015 at 05:14 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

Walt:

What I don't like in both images is a line short of the left border. What I like in both is the detail and comp. A suggestion, go back with a longer lens and focus on the sign. Take your shots. Go back and PP the detail you want on the the sign and clone into the original shot(s).

TFS

TED

Sep 11, 2015 at 05:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

WalterF wrote:
Steve I was bummed about the sign also, it was the way the sun was coming in, not sure how to make it more readable.

Thanks for responding

Walt

Post up a crop of the sign from the original (or send me a link), I'll look at it for you. Got a couple approaches, but working from the jpg doesn't bode well.

Sep 11, 2015 at 08:22 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

RustyBug wrote:
Post up a crop of the sign from the original (or send me a link), I'll look at it for you. Got a couple approaches, but working from the jpg doesn't bode well.

Thank you Kent, this is a crop from the original. Curious what can be done.

Walt

Sep 12, 2015 at 06:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

Walt,

You've got plenty to work with there. Since you are going to a mono (sepia) anyway, you can drive a wedge (tool of choice) to get your detail.

If you will go to your channels (next to layers) tab and cycle through turning them on / off so you are only seeing the Red, Green or Blue channels individually (which will be a mono), you'll see that when you are only looking at the Blue channel, that glare of the red sunlight isn't recorded the same way.

By making a duplicate image layer and using Apply Image, you can set it to the Blue Channel (use normal mode) and you'll have better separation to work with. Then you can apply your wedge (levels, curves, etc) to bring it out more. Looks like you'll need to do some clone work for the far right hand side (best done before the wedge), but you can certainly get it there, as you have plenty to work with ... and then the toning afterwards of course.

Sep 12, 2015 at 08:05 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

Ted ellis wrote:
Walt:

What I don't like in both images is a line short of the left border. What I like in both is the detail and comp. A suggestion, go back with a longer lens and focus on the sign. Take your shots. Go back and PP the detail you want on the the sign and clone into the original shot(s).

TFS

TED

Ted I wish it was close 1.5 hours away, will try this if I go back. Thanks for the idea.

Walt

Sep 12, 2015 at 08:16 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · All Aboard!! Old Depot

RustyBug wrote:
Walt,

You've got plenty to work with there. Since you are going to a mono (sepia) anyway, you can drive a wedge (tool of choice) to get your detail.

If you will go to your channels (next to layers) tab and cycle through turning them on / off so you are only seeing the Red, Green or Blue channels individually (which will be a mono), you'll see that when you are only looking at the Blue channel, that glare of the red sunlight isn't recorded the same way.

By making a duplicate image layer and using Apply Image, you can set it to
...Show more

Thank you for the help in showing me the ropes. I will have to try it.

Walt

Sep 12, 2015 at 08:31 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.