Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

Scrumhalf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

I have the Luma tripod camera plate on my 7D2 at this time, but I want to get something a bit nicer.

The choices:

Kirk PZ-161: $55

RRS B7D2: $70

I have an RRS plate on my 7D and have been happy with it, but I am wondering if there is something to the RRS plate that justifies the $15 premium. If anyone has personal experience with either of these, I would love to hear from them.

Sep 10, 2015 at 01:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

I do suggest an L plate

As to the premium that's for you to decide. I use RRS and have been since '91

Sep 10, 2015 at 02:01 PM
Tsmith318
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

I have the RRS 7D2 plate. I have been happy with it, but I found it to be thicker than the older plate I had on my 50D (to allow space for that hex wrench).

Sep 10, 2015 at 02:04 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

Thanks! The L plates are too bulky for me. I rarely shoot in portrait mode on a tripod, and when I do, the swiveling ball head provision suffices.

Sep 10, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

The Really Right Stuff bottom only plate fits very well on the 7D2, and keeps in the long tradition of very nice stuff from them. It may not matter to you, but it also allows the option of adding on the L portion at a later time, which for many others could be important.

Sep 10, 2015 at 04:28 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

Thank you all, for your comments. After taking everything into consideration, and also reading various online reviews, I went ahead and ordered the Kirk plate. It should arrive mid next week, so I'll report back on what I find.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

I've had good success with both. I generally have preferred RRS plates, as in the past they've been lower profile than the Kirk plates, but it seems that Kirk has changed that...the one above looks very good. Both companies make top-notch gear.

Sep 16, 2015 at 09:27 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

While I do have some RRS items, I find the Kirk products to be just as good. It really all boils down to whether you want to spend the additional $$. There are other companies out there as well: Pro Media Gear, Wimberley and Hejnar to name a couple but whatever you decide to do, I'd recommend supporting USA engineered and manufactured companies.

Sep 17, 2015 at 06:18 AM
bianson

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D2 Camera Plate - RRS or Kirk?

I have always wondered...what is the purpose of these plates? I have a 7D2 that I have a Rapid Strap attached. I have to take it off in order to attach my tripod bracket. Does this plate eliminate that?

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.