FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

The main formation from part way up the Carroll Rim Trail, just before sunset. Feedback always welcome.

Heron

Edited on Sep 09, 2015 at 09:21 PM · View previous versions

Sep 09, 2015 at 07:01 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

As said in another thread, I love the Painted Hills. I find it a bit too yellowish, but I am only on a 5K Imac and it isn't calibrated.

Sep 09, 2015 at 08:35 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

savingspaces wrote:
As said in another thread, I love the Painted Hills. I find it a bit too yellowish, but I am only on a 5K Imac and it isn't calibrated.

Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering if I left it too warm. I shot this with a Pentax 67 lens and a polarizer on my 7D and I found that the combination was definitely producing warmer/more saturated colors than I'm used to from my Canon glass. I've adjusted and re posted.

Heron

Sep 09, 2015 at 09:21 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

Love this shot. really cool.

Sep 09, 2015 at 09:39 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

Holds the attention that's for sure - I really like it. However I find my eyes run left to right and I'm left wanting more (on the right). Maybe a little less on the left and more on the right would have satisfied me ?

Sep 09, 2015 at 10:02 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

Rohanban wrote:
Love this shot. really cool.

Thanks Rohan.

Sep 09, 2015 at 10:35 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

Frogfish wrote:
Holds the attention that's for sure - I really like it. However I find my eyes run left to right and I'm left wanting more (on the right). Maybe a little less on the left and more on the right would have satisfied me ?

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like it. I struggled with the crop on this, I've got more on either side available. I wanted to keep the distant green field and prominent horizon peak on the left. On the right I cropped just shy of the parking lot which was full of cars and people (although they are nearly invisible at web size). I guess they could be cloned out if I wanted. Here's a version with more to the right. I do like the way the shadowed ridgeline runs all the way to the corner on this one, but I think the painted formation starts to get a little lost in the rest of the scene. I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion on it too.

Heron

Sep 09, 2015 at 10:44 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

Hi Heron. I do like v.2 better, until we get to the car park & road which greatly detract for me. Unless you want to put in a lot of work cloning them out I'd stay with v.1.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:16 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

Heron, this is a fine shot. I really like the pano for grand landscapes.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:22 AM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

That is a very nice grand pano. In my memory it seems the color is within the range of what is accurate in the late afternoon.

Chuck

Sep 10, 2015 at 01:49 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Painted Hills Sunset Panorama

Gorgeous capture, Heron!

I prefer the second version (minus the road/cars).

Jeff

Sep 10, 2015 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.