FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Small laptop for traveling

rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Small laptop for traveling

wait a couple of weeks and see if Apple doesn't intro something new

also check prices on existing models as they are being discounted in anticipation of new models

Apple charges more because their products are better - like Zeiss, Nikon, Sony etc.

Nov 10, 2015 at 06:33 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Small laptop for traveling

I have settled on a Surface Pro myself.

The touchscreen + pen (and flipping the keyboard out of the way) is a far nicer workflow for editing photos on the go than a touchpad.

Nov 10, 2015 at 06:34 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Small laptop for traveling

The problem I have with the Apple laptops is the lack of ports. Earlier in the year I bought a Lenovo X250 with a 256GB SSD that has a 11" display and a 13-14 hour battery life under normal use. It has a HDMI port, a 1GB Ethernet port, two USB 3 ports, and a SD card reader. I can use a USB 3 card reader for CF cards and I use $75 Lenovo 256 GB external SSD device that also uses USB 3 so I backup images from the CF card directly to the Lenovo flash and don't take up space on the laptop.

Best part about Lenovo is that you can buy their computers with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installed and with full support. They come with an upgrade to Windows 10 should you decide to do so later.

Nov 11, 2015 at 04:17 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Small laptop for traveling

PIOK wrote:
Thank You All

I think I will go with Mac 11" Air SSD-128 GB + External 1 GB Hard Drive
for trips.

for the last few trips, all over sea and all were photo trips, I just bought a bunch of SD cards. They are now so cheap now aday. No computer, no H Drive.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Small laptop for traveling

PIOK wrote:
Thank You All

I think I will go with Mac 11" Air SSD-128 GB + External 1 GB Hard Drive
for trips.

for the last few trips, all over sea and all were photo trips, I just bought a bunch of SD cards. They are now so cheap now aday. No computer, no H Drive.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Small laptop for traveling

I always shoot RAW and back-up JP fine on second SD card. I store them in different locations

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Small laptop for traveling

i have been using a surface pro 2 for quite some time. going to try out a HP spectre x360 tomorrow. yes, it is somewhat larger. sent for one after trying it out a the MS store and got it fairly cheap too. 512ssd 8gb built in intel 520 vid 13.3" screen w/touch 2560x1440 supposed 10+hrs 3 usb3 hdmi mini hdmi. not really a fan but won't go to lenovo and the MS book is just a little over the top. yes i do use multiple ports.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:54 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Small laptop for traveling

End of story

I got ASUS Zenbook UX305FA 13.3 Inch for only $500
Not so small like MacBook 11 (but half the price)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232393

Thanks All of You for some suggestions

Nov 14, 2015 at 02:38 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Small laptop for traveling

I second the surface pro 2, not 3. Similar computing power in a smaller package.
Very powerful.

irreversible wrote:
Maybe you can also look at the Microsoft Surface Pro 3? Pushes the size a bit but I really like the Surface line. Or you can pick up a used Surface Pro 2 and stick a Power Cover (now retailing for only $50) for a bit of extra juice.

Only problem is it only has one USB 3.0 and one microSD slot, no full size SD.

Nov 18, 2015 at 02:01 AM
vbnut
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Small laptop for traveling

JimRU wrote:
I just bought the Dell XPS 13 and it's awesome.

Which configuration did you get? How does it perform on CPU/memory intensive tasks?

I'm considering purchasing one, but am trying to decide on i5 versus i7 CPU and 8 GB versus 16 GB of RAM. Faster CPU and bigger RAM will give better performance, but you pay for it in battery life, heat, and $. I'm not certain if I need the high-end configuration.

Nov 18, 2015 at 02:56 AM
JimRU
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Small laptop for traveling

vbnut wrote:
Which configuration did you get? How does it perform on CPU/memory intensive tasks?

I'm considering purchasing one, but am trying to decide on i5 versus i7 CPU and 8 GB versus 16 GB of RAM. Faster CPU and bigger RAM will give better performance, but you pay for it in battery life, heat, and $. I'm not certain if I need the high-end configuration.

I got the i7 and 8GB RAM. I don't think there was a 16GB configuration when I bought mine. Battery life is decent, but not the 8-10 hours they say it is. I'd guess it's closer to 5 for my purposes (watching videos/movies, using Photoshop). Overall, very happy with it: the size is great, awesome screen, very good trackpad.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:26 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Small laptop for traveling

i just got a HP spectre x360
13.3"
i7 6500
8GB ram
512GB SSD
10 touchpoint screen
2560 x 1440 (more then then needed)
it has little issue running PScc, DxO 10, and pretty much anything else i really need to travel with
enough ports to please me.

flips around to full tablet

Nov 18, 2015 at 01:54 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Small laptop for traveling

I have a Dell E7240 from work. I don't recommend them, at least not with the standard screen cos it's totally rubbish. Perhaps the touch screen option is better.

Nov 19, 2015 at 04:24 PM
mysh
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Small laptop for traveling

Personally I think you made a mistake. People don't look longterm at this stuff. Apple is pricier upfront but if you are the type of person who likes to upgrade every few years instead of killing a laptop then apple comes out very close in overall cost.
PC loses a lot of value quickly while there is a strong resell market for macs. After its all said and done the apple might have cost an extra $100

Nov 19, 2015 at 07:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Small laptop for traveling

Computers are a commodity. I average 4 yrs between upgrades. I do get my monies worth out of all the ones I have had. In 4yrs there are fairly substantial changes.

Coming real soon is thE USB C type interface connection. They are already getting going on the TB3 interface too. Faster internal throughput. and increased internet interface speed capabilities. It depends where you want to be.

Nov 19, 2015 at 09:20 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Small laptop for traveling

Just ordered a Dell XPS 12 2 in 1. Due here in a couple of weeks. It has Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 ports. I'd have liked a 16GB version but it maxes out at 8GB with the Core m5 processor. It's only for travel but if it's too slow I have 30 days to return it.

Nov 22, 2015 at 07:33 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Small laptop for traveling

I use a macbook air 11 for travelling and works very nicely for me. The light weight is what I really like.

Nov 30, 2015 at 03:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.