New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

unravel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

I am in the process of getting a new desktop (i7 skylark 4k, gtx 970, 16 gig ram) and need a monitor. I've read a lot of people are having issues with 4k monitors and lightroom, just in terms of it being sluggish regardless of computer power. I want to be future proof so to speak, and the machine im getting should be able to handle a 4k monitor, but does anyone have these lightroom issues or can attest to 4k and lightroom being there yet?

Another use for this computer may be light gaming, and id imagine 4k monitors aren't for that. I guess i can always go for a quality 1440p!

Sep 09, 2015 at 10:36 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

not a windoze user any more but i remember when the imac 5K came out lots of complaints about speed in lightroom
seemed to be cured by upping the Raw Cache to 10gb .

other that that I would take a long look at what GPU / Video card works best with Lightroom .
i see reports of some even high end cards not playing well with LR whereas other cards even when based on same or similar GPU's working really well .

Sep 09, 2015 at 03:10 PM
unravel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

thank you for the heads up! will do some research with that combo. Also, hypothetically, would a 4k monitor downscaled to a lower res be exactly the same as a 1440p monitor? Hypothetically, it cant hurt to buy a 4k monitor and sit on it for optimized hardware/softare. Or am i missing something?

Sep 09, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

Really can't help you there . I know there are a few on here that dabble with 4K screens in the windows world

im not sure what OS version your on but I've seen hi res (admittedly not large desktop ones but rather laptop) on win 8 and any scaling does not look pretty .
I think win 10 is supposed to handle that sort of thing better but some aspects of it are still short of retina screens on a Mac .

Sep 09, 2015 at 05:27 PM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

970 and 4K for gaming is very light. Unless you tone down quality or resolution. The 970 is farm from being a 4K gaming GPU.

For editing, the skylake and 970 and 16GB memory should be just fine.
Most cheap 4K monitors are either TN or not the best color quality monitors. So you will need to spend some money on a good quality monitor. A 27 is the minimum size for 4K for my taste for editing, since lightroom doesn't really have scalability in it's icons like a retina resolution gives.

Overall with your choices you should be ok. But personally, I think a 1440p good quality editing monitor is a better choice to go for now. I personally have a second hand mac pro with a 1440p monitor. Works great and no space issues that I feel the need for 4K.

Sep 10, 2015 at 03:50 AM
unravel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

eyal.ma wrote:
970 and 4K for gaming is very light. Unless you tone down quality or resolution. The 970 is farm from being a 4K gaming GPU.

For editing, the skylake and 970 and 16GB memory should be just fine.
Most cheap 4K monitors are either TN or not the best color quality monitors. So you will need to spend some money on a good quality monitor. A 27 is the minimum size for 4K for my taste for editing, since lightroom doesn't really have scalability in it's icons like a retina resolution gives.

Overall with your choices you should be ok. But personally, I
...Show more

Thank you! I will be going with a 1440p monitor then . By the way, 4k monitor scaled down to 1440p is not the same?

Sep 10, 2015 at 07:22 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

unravel wrote:
Thank you! I will be going with a 1440p monitor then . By the way, 4k monitor scaled down to 1440p is not the same?

4K best scaling is to 1080p, as it is basically 2x multiplication in terms of pixel array (so each 2x2 pixels = 1).
4K to 1440p is 1.5x, so pixel choosing in the array, just looks funky on most monitors.
A 5K monitor will scale better to 1440p, like the iMac retina or the dell UP2715K. But of course, money.

Sep 10, 2015 at 07:27 AM
unravel
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

eyal.ma wrote:
4K best scaling is to 1080p, as it is basically 2x multiplication in terms of pixel array (so each 2x2 pixels = 1).
4K to 1440p is 1.5x, so pixel choosing in the array, just looks funky on most monitors.
A 5K monitor will scale better to 1440p, like the iMac retina or the dell UP2715K. But of course, money.

perfect! thank you, i will go with a quality 1440p monitor

Sep 10, 2015 at 07:44 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

For me the main purpose of a 4K monitor for photoshop work is to more closely match the print output of 200-300PPI to the screen. When I view an image at 100% on my 88PPI monitor, it is like looking at a 90 inch wide image. A 24 inch NEC 4K is something like 185 PPI.

But this thread is making me hesitate to upgrade my 8 YO NEC 2690WUXi. Other than resolution, it is a fantastic monitor.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

I am sure that to get the best out of Lr with high-res screens you need a matched combination of good computing hardware and good graphics hardware. One without the other cannot transfer the necessary data both ways to make use of graphics card acceleration. One person here on FM wrote that his new GTX980 card was inadequate but he was using it in a pretty slow and old PC that had a low-bandwidth connection with the card and a slow CPU.

The hardware you intend to buy is surely good enough.

I use a 24" Dell 4k monitor and I love it. Mostly.
It certainly works better with my new laptop than it did with my old laptop because of the better graphics card, CPU and so on, but it isn't the best example of IPS screen technology. Also, Dell indicate that when screen uniformity control is used together with internal colour depth set to more than 8 bits per colour channel there may be some loss of gamut. It obviously doesn't have quite the capability of the NEC and EIZO high-end monitors.

Personally, I love looking at large photos on a 185ppi screen but small web images appear too small.

A 27" screen sacrifices ppi, as does a lower-res screen. A screen less than 24" loses too much physical real estate and gets down to laptop size.

The catch with any monitor is making sure that you are looking at the pictures at 1:1 image-pixel-for-screen-pixel resolution without unwanted scaling caused by Windows or other software. Web browsers are especially bad.

Although I like the high ppi of the Dell and also its Adobe RGB gamut, I prefer the calibration/profiling interface and other attributes of a high-end NEC or Eizo. So far I have not seen a monitor with the optimum combination of features and so while I'm waiting for it I'll use my Dell and (less often) my NEC PA271W.

Final comment: depending on your age you need to factor in your potential (or actual) use of spectacles because eventually they restrict the range of viewing distances that you tolerate and that in turn affects what size monitor you can cope with and what pixels per inch looks best, and worst. For me, 90ppi is now totally unacceptable and 132ppi is my lowest acceptable level.

- Alan

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

I have a Dell 27" 4K monitor and LR 6.
Works fine for me. I was shocked how much my camera and lenses out resolved my old Dell Ultrasharp monitor. I use less sharpening now.
I've never noticed serious slow downs compared to other software I use. Everything has its quirks.
Your rig sounds fine.
I recall when I was researching 4k monitors for photography that image lag was a potential issue for gamers. Depends how demanding and discerning your are.
Only nit is how PS CS6 fonts are tiny. Oh well, I'm used to it now. Wondering how Windows 10 might better handle the scaling but upgrades can create new issues.

David
i7-4790K, 32 gb ram, win7, GTX 960

Sep 24, 2015 at 02:46 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

dgdg wrote:
I have a Dell 27" 4K monitor and LR 6.
Only nit is how PS CS6 fonts are tiny. Oh well, I'm used to it now. Wondering how Windows 10 might better handle the scaling but upgrades can create new issues.

I just bought a Dell 4K 2415Q, and bounce it between a 15" Macbook pro Retina and a Wacom Cintiq Companion Pro. As far as text scaling, Windows 10 seems to help with the OS generally, but CS6 fonts are still pretty small on either the Wacom's native display or the attached 4K display. The Mac seems to do a better job with scaling, though I don't use it as a primary editing workstation anymore.

Arka C.

Sep 25, 2015 at 04:08 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

Personally, I would place more priority on wider gamut monitor than high resolution monitor. 4K display is still not mature enough in term of support. Adobe just announces the new version of Photoshop and Lightroom that fully support 4K (menu font size, magnifying view, etc.). The higher resolution doesn't have the same impact as wider gamut.

I have the Dell UP2414Q (wide gamut 4K display), and I'm happy with it. Putting 10Gb on caching does help to speed up LR.

Sep 25, 2015 at 04:42 PM
blasbike

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

Hi everybody.
I have just registered here to ask you about 4K.

Do you have any new thoughts about 4K performance with LR CC and Windows 10?
Is it true that LR is slower(much slower) on 4K vs 2560x1440?

I have(quite old) i7-3770 3.4GHz with 4 cores, 20GB RAM, SSD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti.
I do not work on massive photo edits. It's something about(at max) 100/week on LR plus retouch on Photoshop Elements or PS CC.
I shoot 22MP only RAWs.
I now testing Dell monitor U2515H 25" 2560x1440 with LR CC and it seems doing ok. But I am wonder if 4K will be the same/similar performance wise.
So I might go for Dell P2415Q 4K.

Any advice about that?

Thanks!

May 11, 2016 at 08:02 AM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 4k monitor and lightroom 6 blues - buying guide

Late to the party, but I have zero issues with the NEC PA322uhd and windows 10. I have a 980 graphics card and run my cpu at 4.2ghz with LR6 behaving properly and quickly. It does take a smidge longer to load my 5DS files but not by any great amount. LR6 is installed on a SSD with the photos being placed on a spinner.

May 12, 2016 at 06:28 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.