FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Please join in the fight to keep Utah's Public Lands Open

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please join in the fight to keep Utah's Public Lands Open

This is not a Red vs Blue, Right vs Left issue and it is real.
Those of us who live in Utah know that the state legislature is serious about this crazy idea
Don't wait until it's too late, contribute to SUWA, call your congressman.

Sep 09, 2015 at 09:07 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please join in the fight to keep Utah's Public Lands Open

I don't think the forum should be used to advocate political causes. A case could be made that many of the roads being closed by the Feds, not just in Utah but all over the country, are roads I used to be able to drive. If SUWA has its way, the only people who can see our beautiful wilderness are those who can do long-distance hiking. As I get older, I need my Jeep to get places, but find more and more roads closed.

Mods, please rule on this use of the forum.

Sep 09, 2015 at 11:20 AM
Bart Carrig
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please join in the fight to keep Utah's Public Lands Open

I respect the views of others, and have no problem with Stan stating his concerns and his perspective. But I think all perspectives are useful in formulating public policy. I don't think we should shy away from these important issues. This is a LANDSCAPE forum; however it is done, landscapes need to be protected. And if our national parks did not exist, these valuable locations might well be in the hands of private owners, railroads or developers and the natural beauty could be lost.

Stan's perspective is important, but that doesn't mean we should be foreclosed from having the issues exposed for our individual choices on how to deal with them.

How else would we know of the issue, the efforts being used to push greater state takeover, and the efforts to fight them, as well as the issues raised by Stan.

These certainly are proper subjects of the of forum. After all, the forum is not dictating a particular result.

Please keep the forum open; and there's no reason to shy away from healthy discussion, even if there may be disagreement.

That's how Houdini died, you know.

Bart Carrig

Sep 09, 2015 at 07:36 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please join in the fight to keep Utah's Public Lands Open

Bart Carrig wrote:
I respect the views of others, and have no problem with Stan stating his concerns and his perspective. But I think all perspectives are useful in formulating public policy. I don't think we should shy away from these important issues. This is a LANDSCAPE forum; however it is done, landscapes need to be protected. And if our national parks did not exist, these valuable locations might well be in the hands of private owners, railroads or developers and the natural beauty could be lost.

Stan's perspective is important, but that doesn't mean we should be foreclosed from having the issues
...Show more

Very well stated Bart. The protection of wilderness area's is quite obviously a concern to all Landscape Photographers. This is not the first time this issue has been raised so it's great that it has once again been brought to our attention.

And Stan, thank you for your viewpoints. If there is any discussion in this thread that makes you uneasy, then simply skip this thread. But I do appreciate the thoughts you brought up about roads being cut off.

While I have photographed for years in Utah, I don't have enough background knowledge on this really. Though from what I have read it sounds like the government of Utah is in it for the money and not really to protect any wilderness areas. So perhaps those that do know more details can bring them up?

Jim

Sep 09, 2015 at 07:48 PM
jmwhite
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please join in the fight to keep Utah's Public Lands Open

SUWA is not fighting to keep public lands open. Their goal is to make access to the land as restrictive as possible. If they have their way the majority of people that enjoy recreational activities in the Utah back country will no longer be allowed to do so. I belong to several organizations that are actively fighting this attempt. I would encourage anyone that enjoys their current access to join us.

https://www.sharetrails.org/

Utah's attempt to take over the land is really a non-issue. This is just grandstanding by some politicians. They have no hope in Federal Court.

Sep 10, 2015 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.