Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Fenwoodian
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

I just upgraded the operating system on my main computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I did so because I had heard that if I did not upgrade, the following two things could happen:
1. In a few years (after Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7) I could get lots of viruses and malware.
2. As new (and updated) photography software comes out, it may not work on older versions of Windows (like Windows 7).

So, with great apprehension, I backed up everything I could on my computer and uploaded Windows 10! It was a free upgrade.

It took about 1 hour to download Windows 10.

Once installed, it took me about another hour to fine-tune the settings and check everything out. When going through the setup screens, be sure to "uncheck" the "photos" box, otherwise your photos will open in the Windows Photo Viewer rather then PhotoShop or Lightroom.

To my pleasant surprise, I found that my desktop looked just the same as it did before the upgrade. All of my programs and files were the same as they were before the upgrade. I did not loose a single software program or photo file during the transition. After the upgrade, I tested each of the below listed photo softwares that I had on my computer. Each one worked just fine in Windows 10, and all of the installed plug-ins and customized settings were just the same in Windows 10 as they were in Windows 7.

Photo Shop CS2, Lightroom, Silky Pix, Portrait Pro, Photo Zoom, Painter, Paint Shop Pro, Photomatix, Zerene Stacker, PTGui, Picasa, Adobe Premiere, Nikon NX2, Helicon Filter, Photo Ninja, NIK, Topaz, Oloneo Photo Engine, LightZone, Adobe Bridge, Digital Camera Utilities 5, Capture NX, Sigma Photo Pro 6, Wacom Tablet

After a few days of experience with Windows 10, here's a few of my observations:

1. You have 30 days from Windows 10 install to be able to roll back to Windows 7 at no expense. I'm liking Windows 10, and at this time believe that I'll probably keep it.

2. I love the "Groove Music" app. It comes with the install. Groove Music automatically pulled in all of my iTunes songs. It sounds many times better then listening to this same music on Windows 7 on the same speakers. In fact, it sounds like I bought expensive new speakers! Now I listen to my music while working on post on my photos - FUN.

3. I have not had any freeze ups. However, this morning I went to wake up my computer from it's sleep, and the computer would not recognize my remote MicroSoft keyboard. I checked and it was not the batteries in the keyboard. I went ahead and installed another new keyboard (I always keep 3 new ones on hand) of the exact same model. To my surprise the brand new keyboard worked great and I was able to type in my password and it's been working great since. The keyboard that did not work was only about 1 month old. Glitch, maybe - hope it does not come back. If so, I have a "wired" type keyboard that I can always hook up.

4. I initially had 2 printers that Windows 10 did not recognize. I was able to find a driver and upload it for my smaller desktop HP printer - now this printer works good. However, Epson does not have a driver for my large format printer for Windows 10! I called Epson. The customer service guy told me that Epson will not be developing/offering a Windows 10 driver for my 8-year old printer unless lots of folks call in and complain about it. So, those of you with an Epson Stylus Pro 7600, please call this number ( 562-276-1305 ) and tell Epson you want them to develop a driver for the Stylus Pro 7600 printer for Windows 10. Meanwhile, I'll be using an old laptop with Windows 7 to run my big printer - sure, it's a time wasting work-around, but better then trashing a perfectly good large format printer (or returning to Windows 7, as I expect the large format printer driver will probably be offered in 6 or 8 months).

If you've already upgraded, what's been your experience?

Sep 08, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Sashi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Fenwoodian

I was in a similar boat and went ahead with the upgrade. Everything worked for me with the exception of my older Pixma printer. I reinstalled the Win 7 64-bit drivers after installing Windows 10 and they worked. Maybe you can try the same for your Epson printers.

So far, liking the Win 10 experience (though I wish they do improve on the add-ons for Microsoft Edge) and thanks for the tip on Groove.

Sashi

Sep 09, 2015 at 11:22 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Problems I have encountered. I had to download and re-install Spectraview.

I have noticed that my mouse seems slow. That is it takes several clicks to get stuff to initiate, or perhaps I am just impatient. I am old school, when I click a switch, I expect instant response, at least I expect the hourglass to show, or the (I am opening indicator).

It is especially bad in the folders icon. I think part of this is that it is waiting for the hard drive to initialize. All my data is on externals via USB. But it was not this slow in Win 7.

Using Google Chrome, I keep losing Flash. But I think that is a Google issue. I had hoped it would get fixed.

The boot is faster and the system is fairly stable.

Sep 09, 2015 at 11:39 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

The free upgrade to Windows 10 is in effect through June 27, 2016. Microsoft will support Windows 7 with security updates through January 14, 2020. The longer one waits to upgrade the more problems will be resolved.

Sep 09, 2015 at 12:25 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Does anyone else hate Windows 10?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Sep 09, 2015 at 12:40 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

i have windows 10 on 2 of my notebooks. One is a secondary photoshop editing computer, the other my wife uses for browsing. Unfortunately, hers blue-screens at least once a day. Mine is fine but the lid-shut-sleep-mode doesn't work anymore. I have to manually sleep. Settings in control panel are set for sleep mode when shutting the lid but it just doesn't work anymore. It worked when I originally installed windows 10.

But by and large, I don't see any advantage or compelling reason to use windows 10. It seems that they are attempting to cater to the same demographic that is continually posting selfies and using selfie-sticks. The performance and useability are only marginally better/different than windows 8.

I'm going to stick with windows 8.1 on my main photoshop editing computer for now.

Sep 10, 2015 at 06:29 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Windows 10 was really a 6 because I felt it slooowed my laptop down, and my "windows" disappeared. Now that I have updated Java and all other "apps", I give it an 8.5, just a little better from my previous version. I am still "exploring" Windows and "found" the new Explorer, now called Edge...cutting edge for Microsoft, I guess. I was about to Divorce Windows 10, then took marriage counseling classes with Java, and now were back at the Honeymoon phase, again.

Sep 10, 2015 at 06:45 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

jancohen wrote:

Sorry, couldn't resist

I don't hate Windows 10, but since I have zero problems with Windows 7 the switch to Win 10 just represents time I could use for something more productive, like editing photos. Being an early adopter maximizes one's exposure to whatever issues exist. Being a late adopter minimizes one's exposure to those issues. I plan to try the upgrade after making a full backup sometime in May or June 2016.

Sep 10, 2015 at 07:46 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

dmcphoto wrote:
I don't hate Windows 10, but since I have zero problems with Windows 7 the switch to Win 10 just represents time I could use for something more productive, like editing photos. Being an early adopter maximizes one's exposure to whatever issues exist. Being a late adopter minimizes one's exposure to those issues. I plan to try the upgrade after making a full backup sometime in May or June 2016.

Same boat here, 64 bit Win 7 Pro. Figure I'll either give MS (with the help of the rest of the world) as much time as possible to debug 10 before the free upgrade expires, or just buy a new workstation.

I usually lag about a year behind new releases, but I just never saw Win 8.x as ready for prime time for my needs.

Sep 10, 2015 at 07:51 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

jancohen wrote:
Same boat here, 64 bit Win 7 Pro. Figure I'll either give MS (with the help of the rest of the world) as much time as possible to debug 10 before the free upgrade expires, or just buy a new workstation.

I usually lag about a year behind new releases, but I just never saw Win 8.x as ready for prime time for my needs.

Exactly. I'm running the same OS and never considered Win 8.x. With Win 7 supported until February 2020 the easiest route could be to wait until you'd be replacing your computer anyway. It's hard to imagine Adobe (or anyone else) developing software that won't run on all operating systems while they are supported by Microsoft. OTOH I'd expect Win 10 to be pretty well debugged, and more importantly all the 3rd party drivers to be updated, before mid-2016 when the free upgrade expires.

Also, FWIW, if you have both a dedicated graphics card and a motherboard with built-in Intel graphics, it is important to disable the integrated graphics before updating to Windows 10. There is currently an Intel driver issue that may present phantom displays with integrated graphics, even when you are connected to the dedicated card instead.

Sep 10, 2015 at 08:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

dmcphoto wrote:
Also, FWIW, if you have both a dedicated graphics card and a motherboard with built-in Intel graphics, it is important to disable the integrated graphics before updating to Windows 10. There is currently an Intel driver issue that may present phantom displays with integrated graphics, even when you are connected to the dedicated card instead.

Good to know.

Still on Win 7 Pro 64 and CS6 ... if it ain't broke, just sayin'.

Catch me in 2020 and we'll see if Win 11 has anything more to offer.

Imo, OS's and PS are in a similar place where they are trying to invent "cute" new bells & whistles to justify a new version, without any real performance changes. I realize that to rewrite the code for PS or LR or the OS to better harness multi-core / hyper-threading, etc. for a paradigm shift in performance is a daunting task. Currently, it seems that they are avoiding such an endeavor by offering more bells & whistles, instead of more meat & potatoes. Me, I'm a meat & potatoes kinda guy.

Edited on Sep 10, 2015 at 08:48 AM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2015 at 08:40 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

RustyBug wrote:
Good to know.

Still on Win 7 Pro 64 and CS6 ... if it ain't broke, just sayin'.

+1

I'm using a Quadro K2000M here.

Sep 10, 2015 at 08:44 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

DejanS wrote:
Windows 10 was really a 6 because I felt it slooowed my laptop down, and my "windows" disappeared. Now that I have updated Java and all other "apps", I give it an 8.5, just a little better from my previous version. I am still "exploring" Windows and "found" the new Explorer, now called Edge...cutting edge for Microsoft, I guess. I was about to Divorce Windows 10, then took marriage counseling classes with Java, and now were back at the Honeymoon phase, again.

My version of Java is always out of date, even win WIN7, not sure how to update it. Same for Flash. (Is that a Java product). It does not play well with Google. And Itunes, which I never use, but seem to need, takes eons to update? Just as stinking audio app. Photoshop downloads faster.

Sep 10, 2015 at 09:08 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Fenwoodian wrote:
You have 30 days from Windows 10 install to be able to roll back to Windows 7 at no expense.

Are you saying they will send you back for a fee? Or your just on your own?

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:15 AM
kemo681
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

jancohen wrote:

Sorry, couldn't resist

I don't hate Windows 10 but I like 7 a lot better.

I have had sound issues.... can hear music but no talking on You Tube. On my wife's machine, Norton would not work and I had to reinstall it.

The biggest issue, and one that bugs the heck out of me, is the privacy issue, including using my computer as a "bot" computer for downloading MS updates to others.

watching this YouTube video was an eye opener:

https://youtu.be/rczgCmoNSSE

Mike

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:57 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Just tried to copy my actions and camera profiles to my laptop. I may have 2 years before I am too old for this stuff.

First off it's pure torture to discover where Adobe hides them but eventually I did find and copied them. But the file structure on the laptop does not match the desktop. Plus, it looks like I need admin rights to do this. The folder where this stuff is included is in hidden files and adding hidden files took about 10 minutes and produced an error.

I may have to load the actions directly from the CF card.

Also, the mouse is sluggish and often grabs the folder/file adjacent to the one selected producing all sorts of weird results.

Also, the laptop wakes up at odd times when nothing was done.

Some of this is WIN 10, some Adobe, and some is just plan new age geekiness.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Tim Knutson wrote:
Are you saying they will send you back for a fee? Or your just on your own?

After Windows 10 is installed for 30 days the only way to go back to Windows 7 is to restore your computer from a complete backup you made before installing the Win 10 update. That will take everything back to the date and time you made the backup. If you did not make a complete backup you'd have to install Win 7 from the original DVD, if you have an original DVD. In that case you have to reinstall everything else you had on your system, and all emails, etc., will be gone.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:37 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

dmcphoto wrote:
After Windows 10 is installed for 30 days the only way to go back to Windows 7 is to restore your computer from a complete backup you made before installing the Win 10 update. That will take everything back to the date and time you made the backup. If you did not make a complete backup you'd have to install Win 7 from the original DVD, if you have an original DVD. In that case you have to reinstall everything else you had on your system, and all emails, etc., will be gone.

Sounds reasonable, thanks.

Sep 10, 2015 at 05:27 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

jancohen wrote:

Sorry, couldn't resist

I went back to Win 7 for the simple fact that I couldn't stand the usage micro delays of Win 10 calling home whenever you as much as picked your nose.

Sep 11, 2015 at 03:12 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Does The NEW Windows 10 Work For Us Photographers?

Paul Mo wrote:
I went back to Win 7 for the simple fact that I couldn't stand the usage micro delays of Win 10 calling home whenever you as much as picked your nose.

Yeah, there's certainly been a lot of discussion about that, especially with regards to the privacy related aspects. Seems like that's what the majority are complaining about, other than its compatibility with older software.

You do make a valid point though. I don't particularly care for "transparent" processes that interrupt my workflow, myself; and if Win 10 adds more of them in addition to what I've already got, not sure I'll be overly joyed about that. I'll adapt though, if I have to.

Sep 11, 2015 at 08:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.