New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · OMG!!!!

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OMG!!!!

The title says it all.

I'm sorry folks but I just have to share a few quick snaps I just took with my new lens.

I'm not bragging or gloating. I'm just sooooo damn excited and happy right now that I just had to share them here with all of you SUPER GOOD folks that have helped me grow in my photographic journey over the past year. Oct 1st will be the one year mark from when I made my very first post here on PC. I know I still have a very long ways to go but just want to say a huge THANK YOU for all the help and wisdom each of you have shared with me.

I hope this new lens will help me reach a little higher in my work such that each of you (my mentors) might just get a little smile on your faces and sense of pride knowing that you played a very important part in my development along the way so far. I'm sure I will still bring on the visual carnage from time to time but maybe, just maybe, a little less often over the next year.

THANK YOU my PC friends!

These aren't going to win any awards but they sure as hell make me happy! They are really just quick test shots and most of the blurring you might see is motion blur caused by the goofy bastard behind the glass cause he was just a little excited at the time and handheld each of them.

Dave

Bee #1

Bee #2

Butterfly

Flowers

Sep 08, 2015 at 04:03 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OMG!!!!

Congrats on the new glass, Dave!!

Really digging 2 and 3 here. 2 is my favorite with 3 being a close second.

You definitely didn't get a soft copy - loving the dimples you got in the bees and the butterfly has some fantastic detail.

Like Kent always says, it's really fun to watch someone's progress over their time posting here. And you've definitely made some strides since I first saw your name pop up.

Now, iron sharpens iron.

Looking forward to see what you put forth with this new glass.

Cheers!

Jeff

Sep 08, 2015 at 04:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OMG!!!!

Congrats. I guess I can sell my Siggy now, I'm pretty sure you're no longer holding out for it.

You go bro ... you go.
Looks like you found yourself some mfd goodness in there as well.

Old school ... no replacement for cubic displacement, and glass rules.
Enjoy the ride and bring on the pics.

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:30 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OMG!!!!

Congrats on the new lens, the photos look great.

Walt

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OMG!!!!

These are great and that first one is for sure and OMG shot.

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:16 PM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OMG!!!!

I know you said that none of these would win awards, but that third shot of the butterfly is pretty special. A little work to get the colors of the flowers to stand out a bit more, and you'd have a real winner there.

Sep 09, 2015 at 05:02 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OMG!!!!

georgetd wrote:
I know you said that none of these would win awards, but that third shot of the butterfly is pretty special. A little work to get the colors of the flowers to stand out a bit more, and you'd have a real winner there.

The lighting and rendering of the eye is greatness!

Sep 09, 2015 at 06:49 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OMG!!!!

Amazing sharpness and beautiful bokah. May this lens bring you nothing but winning images!

Sep 09, 2015 at 07:45 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OMG!!!!

Thank you all for the kind words. Thanks to all the knowledge I have gained by hanging around here with you folks I can see most of the flaws in the above test shots, (something I couldn't do a year ago) but I'll do my best to bring y'all some better images in the coming year.

And yep Kent, I now see why you have decided to keep your Canon and let the Siggy go. The siggy is a great lens but the Canon is an amazing lens and the faster speed is must for me. Can't wait to put it to the test inside the woods on furry critters.

Now if I could just find a cyan filter for this puppy I'd be all set.

And once again, a HUGE thank you to all of you for the guidance along the way this past year.

Dave

Sep 09, 2015 at 12:03 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OMG!!!!

Congrats on your new lens. For me, #2 stands out.

Sep 09, 2015 at 03:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OMG!!!!

Cool. Glad to hear you're diggin' it.

lighthound wrote:
(something I couldn't do a year ago)

Between the river and the rock, time advantages the steadfastness @ the river of continuous learning ... even over some of the most hard-headed ... err, I mean the river wins out even over hard rock.

And, as I tell my guys ... a year from now, it'll be a year from now.
Pretty profound, huh?

Sep 09, 2015 at 05:48 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OMG!!!!

superb
excuse me while I drool, over my Tammy (sigh)

Enjoy!!
Scott

Sep 09, 2015 at 08:15 PM
nnachappa64
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OMG!!!!

These are amazing photos Dave,

The first one is definitely "OMG!" material

Congrats on the new lens!

Was the last photo "Flowers" handheld too?

Sep 10, 2015 at 01:23 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OMG!!!!

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Congrats on your new lens. For me, #2 stands out.

Thanks Squirrely!

---------------------------------------------

RustyBug wrote:
Cool. Glad to hear you're diggin' it.

Between the river and the rock, time advantages the steadfastness @ the river of continuous learning ... even over some of the most hard-headed ... err, I mean the river wins out even over hard rock.

And, as I tell my guys ... a year from now, it'll be a year from now.
Pretty profound, huh?

So what you're really sayin is if you pour (ok, pound) enough good info into my ears then a little goodness comes out the other side. Right?

That is profound! I use a similar saying often.

Always remember, No matter where you go.... There you are!

Dave

sbeme wrote:
superb
excuse me while I drool, over my Tammy (sigh)

Enjoy!!
Scott

Careful with that drool. I don't think that Tammy is weather proof.
Thanks Scott! I hope to be enjoying it over the next week and come home with some keepers.

Dave

nnachappa64 wrote:
These are amazing photos Dave,

The first one is definitely "OMG!" material

Congrats on the new lens!

Was the last photo "Flowers" handheld too?

Thanks! Although I can see some issues with each of these shots I know I could and should have done a better job with them. I was just so damn excited and happy I couldn't stop myself from posting them here.

And yep, the last flower shot was handheld also. I did have to wait and time that shot a little because the wind was blowing it around a little.

The IS on this lens is simply amazing. They say it's like a 4 stop equivelent and I believe it! It's also kinda nice to have the IS kick in and not have the image in the view finder flick and flop around when ever it's activated. It's rock solid!

It was a little difficult to hold it still though cause I kinda looked like this at the time.

Dave

Sep 10, 2015 at 01:54 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OMG!!!!

Dave:

I like 1-3. Especially #3. #1 and 2 are dynamic. That being said, to me #1 would appeal more to me if the image were a tad smaller and or presented with a looser crop. #2 ditto on a looser crop and perhaps a little more off center.

#3 appeals most to me because of the color of the butt and the primary blues of the bg. I think the whites in the bg could be toned down a tad using selective color to make the whites a soft blue.

All in all the first three are great images.

TFS

Ted

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.