Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Tips for Indoor Volleyball Shooting!

Nuchuga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for Indoor Volleyball Shooting!

Tonight will be my first night shooting any sports at my college and it will be indoor volleyball! As far as I know, its all fluorescent lighting so its okay but not great. I have my 70-200 F4 which know isnt wide enough so i plan on shooting with an 85mm 1.8 and a 200mm 2.8. Any tips for settings on the camera or for positioning on the court?

PS- Shooting with a 1D MKIII

Sep 08, 2015 at 12:12 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for Indoor Volleyball Shooting!

Shutter above 1/800 most likely for college, hope you have a body capable of decent output at 10000+ ISO

Sep 08, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for Indoor Volleyball Shooting!

Spend some time shooting from a high position if you can find one that will work. Facing the net from one end of the court or the other usually is best.

Sep 08, 2015 at 01:36 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for Indoor Volleyball Shooting!

mb126 wrote:
Shutter above 1/800 most likely for college, hope you have a body capable of decent output at 10000+ ISO

With a 1.8 or 2.8 lens i shouldnt have to boost ISO that much should I? The 1D MKIII is capable of boosted 6400 however i prefer not to go over 1600.

Sep 08, 2015 at 02:10 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for Indoor Volleyball Shooting!

I will be shooting primarily with the 200 F/2.8L so i should be able to get the proper distance plus a little bit of crop. Any recommendations for ground positions? I definitely want to shots looking down however i want to get some shots of the serves from a lower position!

Sep 08, 2015 at 02:12 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips for Indoor Volleyball Shooting!

The ISO you will need depends a lot on the gym. My experience is mostly high school where I imagine lighting is, on average, worse.

As for position, I think you can do well with just about any position not directly at net level. If I'm on ground level then I'm positioning myself near the net or in an appropriate corner with clean angles. If I'm above the net then pick a place in the bleachers where you can get clean angles on spikes as they occur. If you are on the ground I imagine 200 will be a little long on 1D3 -- I might throw the 85 on for that position.

Shooting tight is important in most sports but I find this especially so in volleyball. Indoor gyms are just NOT an interesting background to include.

disclaimer: I've only shot volleyball about 10 times

Sep 08, 2015 at 02:33 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tips for Indoor Volleyball Shooting!

Volleyball tips, technique, etc.

Jay

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:18 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.