Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Recelling and repacking Lumedyne mega cycler....

TooManyShots
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recelling and repacking Lumedyne mega cycler....

Have anyone done it? Lumedyne charges about $175. I am hoping it could be done cheaper. I went to my local Battery Plus and the tech said he couldn't do it....

Sep 08, 2015 at 11:39 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recelling and repacking Lumedyne mega cycler....

Nevermind...is doable. Just took the battery apart and is quite simple.

Sep 08, 2015 at 02:07 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recelling and repacking Lumedyne mega cycler....

Well, here are some pictures. I just can not see myself paying Lumedyne $180 to repack my megacycler when I could do it myself for less than $80.

Here is the picture of the internal of the cycler.

You just need to cut the wires connecting to the internal circuit boards at the mid length. You will have to splice them later and to reconnect them. So, mark down which wires go to which ones. You can desolder the circuit board end of the wires but I would rather to cut them at the mid length because I don't have the skills to resolder them.
DSC_5250_003 by vracing, on Flickr

Once the 4 wires have been cut, you can remove the entire battery pack.
DSC_5254_004 by vracing, on Flickr

On the other side, it seems that Lumedyne uses some sorts of temp probe on the batteries to prevent it from overheating during use.

DSC_5251_005 by vracing, on Flickr

My Sanyo 1800mah sub c batteries came in today from OSI Batteries. You need 9 of them. Originally, I wanted to order them on Ebay. Knowing that I could end up getting a bunch of fake ones, I decided to order them from OSI batteries. A family business owned company with a good reputation. And their price is cheap. $4 each for the Sanyo sub c size 1800mah battery. About $5 shipping. These 9 batteries cost me $41. I doubt that Lumedyne would give you anything Sanyo.

You just simply align the battery based on the layout from the old one and use hot glue to glue them together.
DSC_5788_002 by vracing, on Flickr

The next step would be soldering the battery tabs on the batteries. I have to wait until Monday to do that since I am waiting for my 60w soldering iron, and lead free silver Rosin core solder, and some flux. I didn't like the way, on the old pack, how Lumedyne soldered the last cell with wires on it. This cell could have been damaged by the heat. Instead, I would solder the same wires (reusing them) onto a batter tab and then solder the same batter tab on to the cell. This way, the soldering iron would only heat up the battery tab to melt the solder on it.

I thought the author here did a good job explaining how he soldered this battery pack. Basically, he melted the solder onto the batter tab. Then, he heated up the battery tab with a 60w iron. Thereby, the solder on it would melt and making a good solder to the cell.

Sep 12, 2015 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.