FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

rparchen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

I'm still working through a backlog that goes back to like 2013 but here's one that I was finally able to edit from last year. I'll update the tech info when I get back to my home office since I'm sure that will be helpful to some. But the obvious specs are; Death Valley and stars with a foreground lit up by LED's. Shot with A7r an Zeiss 2,8/21 ZE. Enjoy!!

Sep 08, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

I think the bottom half of the picture is just wonderful, even as a letterbox format shot with no sky. The sky seems a little overdone for the beauty of the stones and desert.

Sep 08, 2015 at 10:41 AM
mullysr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

Stunning and I like the balance of sky and bottom. I wouldn't change a thing.

Sep 08, 2015 at 10:49 AM
tmiller9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

I think this is wonderful - and true to your style - great work. And, yes, please provide as much tech stuff as you can - for those of us that are trying to get better -

Sep 08, 2015 at 10:53 AM
rparchen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

Appreciate the comments so far guys! I should have prefaced that I figured that some would find the sky too bright but it's just become my style by now. So it's intentional I shoot with a sky tracker so not being limited by high ISO's and short exposures means that I can pull as much details and/or brightness from the sky that I need. I just try and balance a bright sky to give the illusion that the ground is being lit by the stars versus artificial lighting. Just a quick comment to clear that up. Thanks again!

Sep 08, 2015 at 11:02 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

Hey Rick,

That's a pretty cool shot there. And I like the overall look of this and the detail in the MW is wonderful.

My one nit, and it's probably only going to be noticed or thought about by those of us who actively shoot the stars and Milky Way is that the Milky Way in this never fades out at all as it nears the horizon. The golden color along the horizon masks it a bit, but the stars still seem the same brightness along that area.

Jim

Sep 08, 2015 at 02:53 PM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

Really like this shot of the racetrack and sky !

Sep 08, 2015 at 04:14 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

Super shot, just brilliant.

Sep 08, 2015 at 04:31 PM
IShootThings
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

Nice work. What time of year was this taken?

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:46 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

Beautiful composition! Well done! Death Valley is an absolutely wonderful place (but I love deserts).

Sep 09, 2015 at 11:20 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

JimFox wrote:
Hey Rick,

That's a pretty cool shot there. And I like the overall look of this and the detail in the MW is wonderful.

My one nit, and it's probably only going to be noticed or thought about by those of us who actively shoot the stars and Milky Way is that the Milky Way in this never fades out at all as it nears the horizon. The golden color along the horizon masks it a bit, but the stars still seem the same brightness along that area.

Jim

It is a cool shot. Light painting is done very well.

I agree the horizon comment is a small nit. Astro-landscapes are fun composites with a lot of artistic license. I think the sky is well done all the way down.
It depends on the mountains though Jim. One would have to see a single tracked image to determine how much the stairs faded out along the visible horizon. For milky way shots with a very low horizon, like the ocean, I will use a gradient mask to simulate this effect and it works quite well after fiddling with it a few times.

David

Sep 11, 2015 at 03:13 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Night at the Races, Death Valley Ca

Spectacular shot ! I love everything about this, the foreground is superb, I've seen many MW shots where the foreground either detracts or adds nothing, this FG makes the shot. It is a poster I'd have bought in my teens and hung above my bed (not that I can remember my teens any more)

It gets my vote.

Sep 12, 2015 at 02:23 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.