New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

Birdbrooks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

Purchased a copy today. Cursory dock tuning at this point; I was too anxious to get a few hand-held street shots. So far, I'm happy with what I'm seeing. More tuning in order, but so far I'm excited to move ahead with this lens.

I thought like so many that the zoom range was too tight, but walking around I found it was right where I wanted to move FL 95% of the time! It was amazing how quickly I found myself adjusting the compositions compared to say my (much loved) 24-105 Art.

_DSC9588 by Bill Brooks, on Flickr

_DSC9604 by Bill Brooks, on Flickr

_DSC9610 by Bill Brooks, on Flickr

Sep 07, 2015 at 09:16 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

It's got some great reviews however I can't see past the FL range. On today's high MP cameras we might as well shoot with 24mm and crop, the IQ won't degrade. The weight saving is then substantial. Still, I love Sigma's Art collection though the reasoning behind this one evades me

Sep 07, 2015 at 10:01 PM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

Kevin, I hear you about that FL range. I know you like the 24-105 Art and your shots were persuasive in convincing me to try a copy-- and I love it. So, getting a copy of this is especially crazy... but when I spun the FL ring back and forth composing the first series of street shots, I realized that 24-35 is where I live for the majority of those shots.

Also have been reading reviews that are pretty convincing re: sharpness. Some image samples out there are quite impressive.

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:11 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

Yep. Horses for courses Bill and if you live at 24-35 then that's a pretty convincing argument for what is another outstanding lens from Sigma. Glad you like the 24-105 too, exceptional lens.

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:42 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

Lookin' good, Bill. I can understand the 'tight FL' some may have problems with.
My old AF-S 17-35 f2.8 resides in the 17-24mm range for 90% of my shots.
From that perspective it makes a lot of sense...then there's f2

Sep 08, 2015 at 06:01 AM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

I have returned this lens after docking/test shooting. It is a fine lens, but having shot the 35 and 50 Art lenses, I am too spoiled for the incredibly sharp results from the primes. I have also culled the 50 Art, realizing that 35 is where I want to live with street shooting.

I will not part with my 24-105 Art. So versatile and sharp at F4 and up with O/S!

Sep 09, 2015 at 11:14 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

I had the Sigma 35mm Art. Also the Sigma 50mm and currently have the Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Honestly not a big fan of 50mm focal length. I loved the 35mm focal length and especially the Sigma rendering. I still don't know why I sold it.

But now with this new Sigma lens I think I want it. Just wondering if the weight is too much. Sounds like it is as big and heavy as the 24-70mm f2.8 lenses. If so that may give me some pause.

I do have the 70-200mm VRII but it is a specialty lens that sits in it's own carrying case and only comes out when for dedicated shoots.

I want this Sigma lens to be on my camera 90% of the time whether walk around or at Disney, etc. I love the focal range and don't think it would inhibit me. But just wondering the IQ between it and their Sigma 35mm prime.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

Sounds like you've had some of the same experiences with your Sigma lenses as have I. I think I'd still have the 24-35 Art if I didnt have the 24-105 Art and the 35 Art. It really is sharp, and I loved the f/2.

Tough call!

NikonGuyIsHere wrote:
I had the Sigma 35mm Art. Also the Sigma 50mm and currently have the Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Honestly not a big fan of 50mm focal length. I loved the 35mm focal length and especially the Sigma rendering. I still don't know why I sold it.

But now with this new Sigma lens I think I want it. Just wondering if the weight is too much. Sounds like it is as big and heavy as the 24-70mm f2.8 lenses. If so that may give me some pause.

I do have the 70-200mm VRII but it is a specialty lens that sits in it's own
...Show more

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:05 AM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

The weight and size is the biggest issue. Sure the Sigma 35mm Art was heavier than other 35mm lenses but I wouldn't call it heavy

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM
Birdbrooks
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 24-35 F2 ART first impressions

Haven't compared specs but my 24-70G seemed bigger. I know that the new E will be bigger than the Sigma.

NikonGuyIsHere wrote:
The weight and size is the biggest issue. Sure the Sigma 35mm Art was heavier than other 35mm lenses but I wouldn't call it heavy

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.