New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Help with photoshop issue

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with photoshop issue

Does anyone know how to change the intensity (ie: brighten) of the circle one uses as a brush to erase or reveal on a mask? I find in this version (PS6 not creative cloud), the circle, regardless of size, is often too dim to see on the portion of the photo I am trying to work on.
Thanks in advance!
Eric

Sep 07, 2015 at 08:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with photoshop issue

Are you on a Mac or a PC? It's a real problem on a Mac these days. Cursor disappears all the time, especially over middle grayish tones.

Sep 07, 2015 at 09:10 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with photoshop issue

Peter Figen wrote:
Are you on a Mac or a PC? It's a real problem on a Mac these days. Cursor disappears all the time, especially over middle grayish tones.

I'm on a Mac and that's exactly what I am finding....arrgh!
Eric

Sep 07, 2015 at 09:18 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with photoshop issue

It's a known issue and I haven't heard anything about how or when it's going to be addressed. I'm pretty sure Adobe blames Apple for this and it sure seems like this ought to be fixable now that we're twenty-five years in on Photoshop. The one thing that helps me find the cursor when I can't see it is to hit the option key, which brings up the picker or source point if you're in the clone tool, and that actually does stand out.

Sep 07, 2015 at 09:35 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with photoshop issue

Peter Figen wrote:
It's a known issue and I haven't heard anything about how or when it's going to be addressed. I'm pretty sure Adobe blames Apple for this and it sure seems like this ought to be fixable now that we're twenty-five years in on Photoshop. The one thing that helps me find the cursor when I can't see it is to hit the option key, which brings up the picker or source point if you're in the clone tool, and that actually does stand out.

Thanks for the tip..I will certainly try that and fingers crossed, by the time we get to PS99 maybe it'll be fixed (and yes, PS6 may be the last stand alone anyway).
Eric

Sep 07, 2015 at 09:59 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with photoshop issue

PCs aren't immune to this either although it's better than it used to be when the cursor didn't change from light to dark at all. When mine disappears, I press the Ctrl key which acts as a cursor locater (an option that can be set in the Control Panel). Maybe Macs have a similar function?

http://www.howardowen.net/img/s5/v124/p1455108863-3.jpg

Sep 08, 2015 at 03:24 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with photoshop issue

I have not seen anything like that in the general system preferences on a Mac. In the old days this was never a problem. There was always either luminance or color contrast in the cursor tools.

Sep 08, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with photoshop issue

Can't say I've ever noticed this happen . I'm using an iMac 27 with the latest OS

BUT I think I saw a new feature in El capitan ( release in a few days I think) that allows you to shake the mouse and the curser gets bigger and easy to see .
I don't know if this will help in Photoshop though

Sep 08, 2015 at 11:17 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with photoshop issue

For some reason Apple's idiot "interface engineers" insist on hiding more and more things in what in 10.10 is called "Accessibility" in the System Preference panel. If you dig into it and in particular dig into Switch Control there are a number of panels, switches, and other modes and methods of mouse action. I have not worked with it enough yet to figure out if it really addresses this problem. Beyond the Adobe issue, finding one's mouse on a large screen is often a challenge. 10.11 is supposed to have a "shake the mouse" and the cursor will appear function. Helpful, but I believe the Ps (and Lr) problem (that's been around forever) lies in an Adobe/Apple OS interface handoff with both companies ignoring it unless forced to point at the other. Still looking for 3rd party solutions and tinkering with Accessibility.

Robert

Sep 08, 2015 at 12:28 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with photoshop issue

Just checked that panel and couldn't find anything that related to cursor visibility.

Sep 08, 2015 at 03:59 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with photoshop issue

Thanks everyone! At least I know I'm not going crazy nor am I the only one experiencing the issue.
Eric

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:44 PM
kemo681
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help with photoshop issue

Ho1972 wrote:
PCs aren't immune to this either although it's better than it used to be when the cursor didn't change from light to dark at all. When mine disappears, I press the Ctrl key which acts as a cursor locater (an option that can be set in the Control Panel). Maybe Macs have a similar function?

http://www.howardowen.net/img/s5/v124/p1455108863-3.jpg

Thanks for the HOT TIP!,

Mike

Sep 08, 2015 at 11:31 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help with photoshop issue

Peter Figen wrote:
Just checked that panel and couldn't find anything that related to cursor visibility.

Yeah, I tried several "panels" on hand-off but nothing seems to solve the problem, so the third part search continues. If I find something, I'll let folks know.

Robert

Sep 09, 2015 at 11:10 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help with photoshop issue

Hi eyelaser

When I have that issue, sometimes I just fake out PS by adding a temporary layer above the layer of interest set it to completely gray and set the layer mode to difference. Then go back to the original Layer mask and continue editing (this will increase the contrast dramatically). When done, I turn off the temporary Layer's visibility or more often just delete that temporary Layer. Just a suggestion.

Sep 09, 2015 at 12:50 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help with photoshop issue

Thanks John...your advice is much appreciated and I wil certainly consider doing just what you suggested.
Eric

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.