Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Question - shooting center midfielder - HS Soccer

volyrat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question - shooting center midfielder - HS Soccer

It looks like my daughter will play in the center midfield - either holding or attacking - for her high school team this year.

Any suggestions on where to set up to shoot her there? And any other tips most appreciated.

She'd played outside mid / striker for so many years, I knew where the best action would be and focal lengths that would work. And in those positions she often found herself in space with one other opponent. Now, I'd think the middle will be much more crowded.

Thanks!
Bob

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:57 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question - shooting center midfielder - HS Soccer

Specifically which lens will you be using? The position described encompasses a majority of the field so no mater where you sit there will be times you won't be in the right right place. Soccer is a difficult sport to shoot and even more so from the sidelines vs the goal line but that's most likely where you are going to have to shoot from to capture both her offensive and defensive efforts.

Matt

Sep 07, 2015 at 03:42 PM
volyrat
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question - shooting center midfielder - HS Soccer

Matt - thanks for the response. Most of the games are day games so I'll be shooting with a Canon 100-400 v2 on a 5d mkiii.

I was thinking the sidelines were it (unless the camera gear fairy delivers a 600, which is about as likely as there actually being a camera gear fairy).

Sep 07, 2015 at 04:32 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question - shooting center midfielder - HS Soccer

I was going to chime in too. It is unfortunate that it's a magnitude harder to get clean shots of center midfield. My daughter plays it in field hockey and soccer, and my son for his soccer in the past.

I tend to try around the 35 yard line sideline on the side they are attacking. Then you have to hope for a clean Lane of the posession or a header on a punt. Any deeper and traffic increases. If you setup more midfield, then you need to wait for them to possess and run laterally toward you.

I miss the days of her outside mid, my son's forward, and my oldest outside back easy pickings.

Your 100_400 gives maximum flexibility.

Edited on Sep 08, 2015 at 10:02 PM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2015 at 07:22 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question - shooting center midfielder - HS Soccer

I was fortunate enough to cover my daughter's high school team two years ago. The team featured an excellent center mid and I was able to feature her in a number of shots. I stood on the sidelines and moved down with the action. I was free to do so since I was the official team photographer. I don't think you will have any problems getting clear shots of your daughter but some of my favorite shots of the center mid I covered were those when she was in the mix surrounded by other players. Over time, you will get a feel for the set pieces that are designed for your daughter. Where does she set up for a corner? Is she the first option? Does she like to shoot with deflected headers or is she more likely to take one from 18 yards? The more you know what she normally does, the better you will anticipate the action and position yourself correctly. Will she pass from out of bounds or receive? As a middie, she will likely receive. Zoom in on her before the pass is thrown. One of my favorite shots is when a player receives a long kick and jockeys with her opponent to get the header. Players tend to be spaced out at this time so you can probably get her one on one. I have a soccer album on Flickr if you care to see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00/albums/72157625547353069

She is #2 and the pics from that season are toward the end of the set.

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:43 PM
volyrat
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question - shooting center midfielder - HS Soccer

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. When she's playing holding mid, the 35 yard line sounds like great advice.

Agreed on outside backs and mids and strikers. Pretty easy to isolate them or find them one on one.

I guess one upside will be night games. The lighting in the corners is so bad that the outside backs seem to be playing in the dark.

thanks
Bob.

gschlact wrote:
I was going to chime in too. It is unfortunately it's a magnitude harder to get clean shots of center midfield. My diameter plays it in field hockey and soccer, and my son for his soccer in the past.

I tend to try around the 35 yard line sideline on the side they are attacking. Then you have to hope for a clean Lane of the posession or a header on a punt. Any deeper and traffic increases. If you setup more midfield, then you need to wait for them to possess and run laterally toward you.

I miss the
...Show more

Sep 08, 2015 at 11:21 AM
volyrat
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question - shooting center midfielder - HS Soccer

Thanks for responding. I'll be one of the two team photographers, so I'll have access to move.

With her in a new position, I'll have to figure out all that you mentioned on the fly. Agreed on the pictures of competing for the ball coming in from the sidelines or the keepers.

And thanks for sharing the album - great to see what you were able to get and gives me some ideas as to what to look for.

Thanks
Bob.

Brev00 wrote:
I was fortunate enough to cover my daughter's high school team two years ago. The team featured an excellent center mid and I was able to feature her in a number of shots. I stood on the sidelines and moved down with the action. I was free to do so since I was the official team photographer. I don't think you will have any problems getting clear shots of your daughter but some of my favorite shots of the center mid I covered were those when she was in the mix surrounded by other players. Over time, you will get
...Show more

Sep 08, 2015 at 11:28 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.