New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mushroom Trio revisited

georgetd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mushroom Trio revisited

I went back to the mushroom trio, since they turned out to be one of my favorite shots, and they happened to be the easiest to get back to (lucky). I redid the shot at a wider focal length, and at f/5.6 instead of f/10. This gets the background a bit more blurred. To get the depth of field to cover the entire mushroom, I stacked 18 shots, each with a different focal plane.

The lighting I don't think was as friendly to me this time, but I think it worked out. The exposure is rather long, so I dropped the flash for a couple of flashlights. I think I need a diffuser for them.

Anyway, I think it came out better this time, but not as good as Dave's turtle shot. Nothing beats turtles though.

Sep 06, 2015 at 11:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mushroom Trio revisited

This is a nice job. I have tried stacking and never got good results either with image align in photoshop or with Helicon.

But what really impresses me is that you can find 19 separate focus planes in such a thin slice. If I had the front edge of the mushrooms in focus the entire mushroom would look sharp to me in live view.

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:20 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mushroom Trio revisited

Looks like a contender for the weekly contest. Nice job.

Walt

Sep 07, 2015 at 01:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mushroom Trio revisited

Dramatically improved
Good luck

Scott

Sep 07, 2015 at 01:48 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mushroom Trio revisited

Looking good, George!

Nice depth and 3D effect here.

Maybe a touch more burning on the front of the fun guys to reinforce the light coming from above?

Cheers!

Jeff

Sep 07, 2015 at 05:50 PM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mushroom Trio revisited

beavens wrote:
Looking good, George!

Nice depth and 3D effect here.

Maybe a touch more burning on the front of the fun guys to reinforce the light coming from above?

Cheers!

Jeff

Will do, I'll try and address some spectral reflections that look off too. We'll see how I do.

ben egbert wrote:
This is a nice job. I have tried stacking and never got good results either with image align in photoshop or with Helicon.

But what really impresses me is that you can find 19 separate focus planes in such a thin slice. If I had the front edge of the mushrooms in focus the entire mushroom would look sharp to me in live view.

There are a few things going on here. The mushrooms aren't very big, so to get them to fill the frame like them, they're about 3cm from the front of the lens. That combined with f/5.6 makes for very shallow DOF, even with a 16mm focal length.

The other thing is I didn't really try and find 18 different planes of focus. I focused at the front (I think minimum focus on the lens) for my starting point. Then every time I moved the focus a little bit, I'd take another shot. I did this until I reached focus on the farthest part of the image.

Sep 07, 2015 at 06:58 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mushroom Trio revisited

This is such a rad photo! Love to see that blueish grey come out of the mushrooms!

Sep 08, 2015 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.