Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

The idea is to maximize sharpness of the Phase Detect AF (through the viewfinder) in similar fashion as you were doing. Shoot and adjust MFA and find the value that maximizes sharpness at the short focus end of the zoom, then repeat for long tele end, and once again for both with any TCs. You can later compare to the "ideal" sharpness which is obtained via Contrast Detect using the LCD focus (do remember to turn of Continuous AF for this Live View).

There is something called DOT TUNE (link to thread on FM) that works quite well too for MFAing. Lastly, you want 50x focal length for MFAin. So about 33feet for the 200mm end, and 10feet for the short end at 70mm. Dot tune can be done quickly, just remember to an object in front and behind the main subject, it need not be a ruler.

Sep 09, 2015 at 04:37 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

So you focus on the object far away but you can tell if it's critical focused through the view finder.

Take the picture.
Then zoom on the LCD,
make a MFA adjustment,
refocus,
retake,
look again at new image with adjustments,

keep repeating until you have correct focus?

I did watch the DO TUNE video... might have to watch a few more times.

One of the issues I have is that you cannot see critical focus DoF through the viewfinder at that distance. Which is why I let the camera AF then reviewed in the LCD.

Which brings be back to the point that Canon has a billion dollars of equipment to manufacturer these cameras and lenses, yet we have to use a $50 focus chart or .10 print out to actually get it to work.

Somethings is broken in the system.

Sep 09, 2015 at 05:30 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

Dot Tune doesn't rely on you looking at the image, it just relies on the fast confirmation beep of the AF mechanism in One Shot.

OR using tripod again;
1. Take 3 images each at -20,-15,-10,-5,0,5,10,15 and 20 mfa at the distant target (again have something in front and behind). De-focus the lens between each shot.
2.THEN load onto computer and look for the best MFA value with sharpest results.
3. THEN repeat +/- 5 in 1 step increments around the value from #2.
4. Download onto PC and choose best sharpest result MFA value.
5. Repeat for both short and long tele ends and again with TC for each end.

You are correct, you can't rely on the camera's LCD, even at 10x, the Computer Monitor is much better and easier.

Sep 09, 2015 at 05:37 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

Maybe we should ask Canon to follow the DOT TUNE steps at the factory... :-/

Sep 09, 2015 at 06:12 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

don't get me started. There is no reason to not build it into the firmware!!!
Magic Lantern already has it for a while now.

Sep 09, 2015 at 08:50 PM
DMZamora

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

Remember too that in this kind of test your subject should be at 25x-50x the focal distance used. The closer the subject, the hardest it will be to notice the differences in settings.

Sep 10, 2015 at 05:09 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

timgangloff wrote:
In November 2014, I had a 7d2 and it could not focus-it was always just a little soft-and many others reported similar results. Sent it back, bit the bullet and got a 1dx. So, thank you 7d2 for helping me get the 1dx. I wanted the 7d2 to work, but it was just a bit off focus wise and nothing I did could make it work.

In July, I took a chance and got another 7d2 and this one is very sharp.

It's really pretty accurate in good lighting. Like really sharp. In bad lighting, it's OK -compared to the
...Show more

I have spent a whole week tweaking and adjusting and shooting this 7DmkII and NOTHING day or night shots has ever, EVER come even remotely close to being as sharp as your images. We are using the BRAND NEW Canon 70-200 f/2.8 vII from ISO 100 to 6400 full on clear sky day to gym needing 6400, subject standing still and moving.

My 10 y/o 1DmkIIn has significantly better results than this wonder brick called the 7DmkII... I will make more adjustments tomorrow and Tuesday then in all reality, it goes back to B&H on Thursday when they open back up.

It absolutely should not take me two weeks of making various changes to get $3,700 of equipment to work correctly.

Sep 12, 2015 at 01:32 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

thebmrust....I gave my initial 7d2 one weekend including a day game, a night game and some static wildlife stuff. Nothing worked. Back it went. In short, you are right. Just send yours back. You got a dud. There are quite a few out there. Get a different one. There are many that do work.

Sep 12, 2015 at 08:43 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

Yep, just shot swimming, soccer and football and made several rounds of setting changes in between and nothing worked. Just processed an RMA and will send it back when B&H opens next week.

We got B&H credit...not sure to try for another 7DmkII or get a used 1DmkIV...

Sep 12, 2015 at 05:43 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

Live View is not affected by Micro-focus settings so you will not see any focus change no matter what MA setting you use in Live-View AF. You will see dramatic differences only if you set MFA in normal auto-focus through the viewfinder. (phase detect)

Sep 14, 2015 at 03:38 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

timgangloff wrote:
thebmrust....I gave my initial 7d2 one weekend including a day game, a night game and some static wildlife stuff. Nothing worked. Back it went. In short, you are right. Just send yours back. You got a dud. There are quite a few out there. Get a different one. There are many that do work.

Got the replacement today, have games tonight and tomorrow...
Can you share your sports case and AF settings?

Sep 25, 2015 at 04:57 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 7DmkII First Thoughts (sports)

Is it possible to DOT TUNE while tethering?

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.