Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

TooManyShots
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

I am about to pull the trigger but can't decide which one is better. I need a more up to date longer zoom than my Nikon AF D 70-210. I have some money I can spend at the moment. Primary use would be some outdoor/indoor portrait shots and occasionally using it for cycling race photography and maybe for bird photography. On a D7000 body, at 300mm, I should get some good, effective FOV focal length to capture some song birds. So, AF speed and accuracy are important. I know both lenses have a relatively good, equal IQ. The Tamron is supposed to have a slower AF motor.

Planning to get an used copy and the used price is the same for both lenses. One important thing is that I need the VC or VR to be activated using the back button. I know with the Sigma OS system, at least with my 17-50 2.8, the OS won't engage unless I use the half pressed shutter button. I know the Nikon VR would engage using the AF back button. What about the Tamron VC? Is it like the Sigma OS system?

Sep 06, 2015 at 12:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

For the same price I'd always buy the Nikkor unless the alternative is substantially better mechanically and optically. The Nikkor will be compatible with future bodies. The history of Tamron, Sigma, etc. lenses has been fraught with odd compatibility problems.

EBH

Sep 06, 2015 at 12:21 PM
brancky3

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

According to DXO the Tamron is much sharper stopped down.

Sep 06, 2015 at 03:32 PM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

I bought the Tamron, because it was better according most of the tests I read. I use it on a D700 and sometimes on D2h and I'm very satified. I used it at a house concert with 1/80, 5.6 and 12.800 iso and the lens focused with no problem. The lens is sharper from 6.3, but I wouldn't go to 25.600 iso.
The only disadvantage is that the VC and AF switches are not lowered and change from setting to easy.

Sep 06, 2015 at 03:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

There are lots of reasons to buy relatively equivalent third-party glass, but getting the best AF performance isn't one of them.

A good copy of the Tamron should be superior optically, but it's unlikely that it will keep up with the Nikon in terms of AF performance when both are at their limits.

Sep 06, 2015 at 04:08 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

Thanks..I did a search on the message board and yeah the Tamron is better in terms of the IQ on the long end. The AF performance is OK. Many didn't think the AF is any better on the Nikon. And the VC won't engage unless the shutter button is half pressed. I can work around with that...I think. The Nikon is an older lens though....

Is going to be more like buying one and to see if it is good enough..if not, return it or exchange it.

Sep 06, 2015 at 04:14 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

Had the Nikon 70-300 VR on a D7000 and loved the combo for shooting daylight sports. Tamron is making better glass now it seems though, so I would say do some testing of each in store if you can rather than reading other people's opinions.

Sep 06, 2015 at 05:06 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

Speaking as a person who owns the Tamron 70-300 and tested the Nikon version, my take is this:

Price -- I got the Tamron new for 1/3rd the price on the Nikon new at the time. This made it a no brainer given the rest (see below)

IQ -- Both are good but the Tamron is slightly better in sharpness. You will notice the Tamron is a bit cooler in color, or at least my copy is compared to my Nikon lenses.

AF -- about the same.

Build -- about the same.

VR vs. VC -- The Nikon VR system is more stable when viewing through the viewfinder making composing images easier. However, as far as effectiveness, both are equally good. The jumpy viewfinder image of VC can be a turn-off for some, but I was fine with it.

For the price, go with the Tamron.

Sep 06, 2015 at 07:27 PM
rjb6893
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

My experience with both lenses echoes that of Andre, especially since you're getting the lens for the reach and that's where the Tammy is the better choice. Works great for me on trains, great blues, and eagles. Ron

Sep 06, 2015 at 07:53 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

Just ordered the Tamron from Keh...

Sep 06, 2015 at 08:00 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

Tamron VC kills the VR of the Nikon.

Sep 06, 2015 at 09:05 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

It seems like only few are being sold here but people won't buy them unless the price is under $280 I hope I don't have to sell the lens though. Let's hope the used value would go up once the rebate is over.....

Sep 06, 2015 at 10:40 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

johnctharp wrote:
There are lots of reasons to buy relatively equivalent third-party glass, but getting the best AF performance isn't one of them.

A good copy of the Tamron should be superior optically, but it's unlikely that it will keep up with the Nikon in terms of AF performance when both are at their limits.

Unless you have owned both I'm not sure how you can make that comment. I originally owned the Nikon and then the Tamron and as far as AF there just wasn't any difference and the Tamron was sharper at 300mm I sold the Nikon and still have the Tamron. It's a very good lens and hard to beat for the money especially when they have rebates.

Sep 07, 2015 at 07:55 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

TooManyShots wrote:
Primary use would be some outdoor/indoor portrait shots and occasionally using it for cycling race photography and maybe for bird photography.

I've owned, used and enjoyed Nikon's 70-300 for years and think it's one of the best values in their line - but I've never thought of it as a portrait lens.

Ymmv

Sep 07, 2015 at 10:35 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

I buy third party lenses when they fill a gap in the Nikon line as with the Sigma50-150mm f2.8 HSM II lens that was better than the 70-200mm on a DX camera for my uses.

With Nikon lenses I need fewer filters as most of my lenses use a 77mm size filter, and I can use my Nikon teleconverters. With a Sigma telephoto I will need to buy a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter and have both the added expense and the extra piece of gear in my camera bag.

So I add to the cost of the third party lens the cost of two new filters and the cost of the third party teleconverter. At that point the gap is much less. Alternatively I would not hesitate to buy a used copy of a Nikon pro level lens on the Buy-Sell forum of fredmiranda.

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:45 AM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

The Nikon 70-300 is not a pro level lens. Can it even use a teleconverter? So I have no idea what your post is referring to or how it has any relevance to this thread.

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:53 AM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

You can't use a TC on either the brand, and both use standard size filters. I pretty much agree with Andre's comments. I also own the Tamron and have tested it against the Nikon. If you plan to shoot at 300mm the Tamron is a better lens. Wide open it's very good, and stopped down a little it's excellent.

If your shooting indoors neither would be ideal. Outdoors you can't beat the value, it's the main reason I haven't bought the new Nikon 300 f4 PE. If I want small and light I take the Tamron, if I want the best IQ, in any light, then the Nikon 300 f2.8 is the tool of choice.

Edited on Sep 07, 2015 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2015 at 02:24 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

nolaguy wrote:
...but I've never thought of it as a portrait lens.

Nothing wrong with it; covers the same focal lengths as a 70-200, just a stop or two slower than the f/2.8 and f/4 lenses, which means that you get more of your subject in focus.

Sep 07, 2015 at 02:27 PM
fdevyatkin
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

I lent my son my 70-300 VR to go with the D7000 I gave him, and he won't give it back. It is capable of very sharp images with quick AF and effective VR. It is at its best up to about 200mm,closed down a full stop, but is still above average wide open at 300mm. I replaced it with the 300 f4 prime which is a great deal and insanely sharp, but it has no VR, and the jury is still out on the new VR version for more $$$.
If you plan on being at 300mm the prime is the ticket (maybe with a monopod, poor mans VR).
Food for thought.
Fred

Sep 07, 2015 at 05:05 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Can't decide..Nikon or Tamron 70-300 vr/vc???

I would not get the Nikon new or used. This was the best deal I could find. You just have to wait till they get them in stock. Seems to be every couple of weeks.

When I was looking this the best deal I could find. Mine came in perfect condition. I couldn't tell it from new.

I would like to think someone from Nikon looked it over and checked the focus etc. My copy is plenty sharp @ 300mm.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Refurbished-Camera-Lenses/AF-S-VR-Zoom-Nikkor-70-300mm-f%252F4.5-5.6G-IF-ED-Refurbished.html

Sep 08, 2015 at 03:39 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.