New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Shutter Failure ?

eric hagemann
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shutter Failure ?

I was shooting night rodeo last night and noticed that even with my White Balance and aperture fixed I was getting color casts on my photos.

Trying to diagnose the problem I took several pics of a nearby fence post and observed the following -- I am trying to understand what this is.

I was using a Canon 5d3 at 3200 iso, f2 on a 135mm and shooting in high speed burst mode with AI Servo

all 5 of the images below are from one continuous sequence

Camera has 105K actuations.........

http://www.solsticephoto.com/images/ContactSheet-001.jpg

Sep 06, 2015 at 07:46 AM
dwweiche
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shutter Failure ?

That appears to be from a cycling light source.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/flickering-lights.aspx

Sep 06, 2015 at 08:23 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shutter Failure ?

Some vapor lamps, fluorescents and some LED stage lights may look satisfactory to our eyes, but a fast shutter speed will show the light color wandering all over the place which makes action photography problematic. Many also put out differing amounts of light from instant to instant. The new "anti-flicker" technology in cameras like the 7D II is designed to offset this mess somewhat by exposing at the peak exposure, but I admit ignorance if this technology helps with the color variances.

You can verify your shutter operation by doing the same shots at the same shutter speed in the daylight.

Sep 06, 2015 at 09:00 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shutter Failure ?

Don't see any shutter bounce. Shows up clearly at 1/4000 in most cases.

Sep 06, 2015 at 09:12 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shutter Failure ?

I've had similar color variations (and differences in exposure in high-speed sequential shots) under florescent lighting at swim meets; sorry I don't have any examples, they usually end up in the rejects...
Jerry

Sep 06, 2015 at 09:43 AM
LS1Roadmaster

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shutter Failure ?

105k clicks. Time for timing belt and water pump service. Wait, sorry wrong forum.

Sep 06, 2015 at 09:44 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shutter Failure ?

Cycling light source. It's 60 or 120 Hz, and often shutter speeds around 1/200 or 1/250 will catch significantly different parts of the cycle.

5DS/R (and 7D2 if I recall) has a mode to prevent that issue, magically.

Sep 06, 2015 at 11:37 AM
eric hagemann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shutter Failure ?

thanks for the tips -- looks like it was the light source. No evidence of trouble in a daylight shoot today.

Sep 06, 2015 at 03:48 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shutter Failure ?

There is definitely cycling going on at the light source. I have experienced similar shooting at a local ice rink with a 6D and 1D3.

The 7D Mark II fixes the problem quite nicely. It detects the flicker, and if Anti-Flicker is turned on, fixes the color and the fires the shot at the peak of highest brightness.

Sep 07, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shutter Failure ?

If you're shooting faster than 1/60 you might see this depending on the light source.

Sep 08, 2015 at 11:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.