Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

vpPhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

I had 1DIII for about one year before I came along great offer to upgrade to mark IV. It's even today great camera. If you don't mind only 10mpx, only real drawback is poor rear display (low res and poor viewing angles), but still much more usable than previous cameras.
Usable ISO is 1600 in dark environments (concerts etc.) and 3200 in bright situations (sports etc.). 1DIV is in different league, being usable up to ISO 12800 in bright situations. BUT I still rate 1DIII together with 1DsIII BEST Canon cameras for low ISO work ("D" being maybe even more malleable than "s") , color fidelity is just unbelievable. DIV is good but not as the III series (IV is clearly optimized for high ISO work).
My suggestion, if you care about color fidelity and 1D series body, go for it, you won't regret (or 1DsIII if you can find one that fits your budget).
If the events needs high ISO work >1600ISO, sell everything you can and go for 1DIV, 5DIII, 6D or 7DII - depends on your preferences for AF point spread, crop and body ergonomics.

Sep 07, 2015 at 06:17 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

I can't believe that years later, there are still people who think the 1D3 is 'plagued' by an AF problem.

The problem affected a very small number of cameras, under specific shooting circumstances.

And the good news is - Canon will still fix that problem for free.

Sep 07, 2015 at 11:51 AM
petr vokurek
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

If you donīt mind the inherent limitations- small file size and 1,3 crop, the 1d III is a very nice camera and it just feels great in the hand! I love using it for that alone:-) It produces nice detailed prints up to A3+. Bigger prints do benefit from more pixels in my experience. For the current price itīs a bargain.

Sep 08, 2015 at 03:03 AM
dholl

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

just to update the fred

in the end i got a 1DIV after all...sometimes the extra money goes a long way. great camera, high-ISO on par with 5DII, maybe even a tad better, surprisingly. I reckon the 1DIV will be a keeper.

Thanks for the helpful and friendly discussion!

Oct 02, 2015 at 12:44 PM

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

dholl wrote:
just to update the fred
in the end i got a 1DIV after all...sometimes the extra money goes a long way. great camera, high-ISO on par with 5DII, maybe even a tad better, surprisingly. I reckon the 1DIV will be a keeper.
Thanks for the helpful and friendly discussion!

1D IV is THE camera to have. Congratulations on the acquisition and happy shooting! I know I love mine (even though the girl doesn't see nearly as much action as we'd both like ).a

Oct 03, 2015 at 03:39 AM
dholl

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

Snopchenko wrote:
1D IV is THE camera to have. Congratulations on the acquisition and happy shooting! I know I love mine (even though the girl doesn't see nearly as much action as we'd both like ).a

oh aye...full-frame IQ but with the little extra reach, and also bit extra DoF for macros...that x1.3 sensor is really useful...wonder if many pros miss it since upgrading to the 1DX?

Oct 03, 2015 at 04:47 AM

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

dholl wrote:
oh aye...full-frame IQ but with the little extra reach, and also bit extra DoF for macros...that x1.3 sensor is really useful...wonder if many pros miss it since upgrading to the 1DX?

I can only speak for myself - and I'm not a full-time pro - but 1D X was never really tempting for me. That wasn't even for financial reasons - these never really stand in the way of yearning for the latest and greatest - but because of the two factors: loss of 1.3x crop (and I find the crop factor to be very useful, as the worst corners are masked) and SD cards - I've long since migrated from CF to SD and then to microSD. I'm sure the high ISO is even more usable on 1D X but I'm not sure that would've made a meaningful difference for me, since in very low light there are other complications arising, like the focus becoming very problematic anyway.

Oct 03, 2015 at 07:45 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

Whether or not the 1DIII was 'plagued' by AF issues or not could be argued for another several years. However, I can tell you that the AI Servo performance of the 1Dx is several orders of magnitude better; attribute that to whatever you will (newer technology or AF system lacking flaws, pick your chicken or egg).

The 1D MkIII's files were great, high ISO not bad. From the 5D MkII forward, Canon's LCD screens illustrated just how bad the 1D MkIII's was; it's nearly impossible to check critical focus during shooting.

I don't miss the 1.3x crop compared to the 1Dx; a 1.3x-cropped 1Dx file leaves you with 10-11MP (didn't do the math, from working with files), and it's always sharp. I'm having to break the habit of 'over-shooting' some sports to ensure I get well-timed images in critical focus, the 1Dx just nails it. Never owned a IV, so can't comment.

I personally wouldn't buy one, but it sounds like your situation is very different form mine. The IV would be my choice in your situation.

Oct 04, 2015 at 12:25 AM

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · swapping two full-frames for the 1DIII...discuss :)

The OP has already bought a 1D Mark 4. I think it was a wise choice, especially since mk4 has eliminated most of what was perceived as wrong about mk3: big but low resolution screen (230K dots was fine for 2.5" units like those on 1D Mark II N, but clearly not for 3" ones), reduced number of AF points (19 vs. 45 on mk2N and mk4), and dated (as compared even to 5D Mark II which arrived only a year later) high ISO capabilities.
I used mk3 with great success and wouldn't mind doing so again... But mk4 is just so much better that I'm glad I did as the OP did, and waited for a great deal on a mk4.
YMMV

Oct 04, 2015 at 03:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.