FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

"Which makes you weird "

I will never deny being weird. I live with an accordion player and twenty-eight of her "babies". Mama's got a squeeze box...

I checked out the linked web site with the mirrored shots. Interesting. Some of those I like, but others, where you could clearly see the double reflection from the front and back of the mirror, I found that extra reflection distracting. And front surfaced mirrors aren't cheap.

Here's jpeg of the aforementioned Garrett Turbo. This was one of the two twin turbos actually on the winning Audi at Le Mans a few years ago. The racing team sends the turbos back to Honeywell (they own Garrett) for refreshing after a big race like that, and while it was in California, they had me document it. This is a completely different type of perspective, shot with a Schneider 210mm lens at f/22-1/2 on T-Max 100 developed in T-Max developer and drum scanned on a Howtek 8000 at 2667 dpi. All I can say is that it took forever to manually splice this together, even with only ten layers. Because of the different planes of focus involved, it wasn't always apparent which layer had the sharpest part of the image and there was a LOT of masking and unmasking to figure it out. I'm thinking that the final layered .psb file was around 13 gb.

Garrett Turbocharger

Sep 06, 2015 at 04:38 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Sweet

Sep 06, 2015 at 10:18 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Both photos are awesome!

Sep 06, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Wow, the turbo is awesome, but it's ten times better with both your technical insight and the part's provenance. You get to photograph some cool stuff!

Thanks!

Sep 07, 2015 at 03:19 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Thanks Fast6. I had to take the Garrett logo out of the casting for the North American market. Now that was a much harder job than it looks at first glance - to remove the logo and maintain al the texture. They market as Honeywell in the U.S. and Garrett in Europe and some places Garrett by Honeywell. But it stays for my version.

Sep 07, 2015 at 03:40 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Peter Figen wrote:
I had to take the Garrett logo out of the casting for the North American market. Now that was a much harder job than it looks at first glance - to remove the logo and maintain al the texture.

That sounds -awful-.

Eliot

Sep 08, 2015 at 02:03 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

A cast logo like that is really hard to remove and make it look like it was never there. I'm not sure I would say awful. More like a time consuming pain in the ass that you get to bill for.

Over the last fifteen years I've ended up doing a lot of complicated retouching jobs for companies like Honeywell, Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority, Apria Healthcare just to name a few. A lot of times it's pretty straightforward, but every once in a while it's something like "Could you remove that bus stop bench behind the people and replace those two people with these from this frame?" or "Could you remove that name tag" that was on a shirt - a plaid shirt with contours over the body. Oh yeah, that was easy. After doing those two, which were for L.A. Metro, the art director told me over the phone something to the effect of "You know you can say no, that's impossible." For me, it's the challenge of doing something that they thought was impossible. Or another art director telling me "if it was easy, I'd have called someone else."

For the image is just getting started when it comes out of the camera. I remember watching a friend retouch an image for me in 1994 and I was mesmerized. When I started using Ps myself in January '95, it was something that just made sense and I followed the path of least resistance to where I am today.

Sep 08, 2015 at 02:31 AM
joel dowling
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Peter Figen wrote:
A cast logo like that is really hard to remove and make it look like it was never there. I'm not sure I would say awful. More like a time consuming pain in the ass that you get to bill for.

Over the last fifteen years I've ended up doing a lot of complicated retouching jobs for companies like Honeywell, Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority, Apria Healthcare just to name a few. A lot of times it's pretty straightforward, but every once in a while it's something like "Could you remove that bus stop bench behind the people and
...Show more

This thread is fantastic - I could read your insight and technical notes on images like these all day. Thanks for sharing.

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:46 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Thanks Joel. I love the three word description of yourself on your web site. When I finally redesign my web site, there will be a section with specific images and the stories behind them, and since most of that involved musicians of some stature or another, it will be fun remembering the parts I can actually share.

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:05 PM
joel dowling
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Peter Figen wrote:
Thanks Joel. I love the three word description of yourself on your web site. When I finally redesign my web site, there will be a section with specific images and the stories behind them, and since most of that involved musicians of some stature or another, it will be fun remembering the parts I can actually share.

It's four words - you forgot "dude"! Ha!

I am looking forward to seeing the new site. Please keep us posted.

Sep 08, 2015 at 07:30 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Of course. Who doesn't love The Dude.

Sep 08, 2015 at 08:06 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

... More ... Please ...

A great read ... very educational and entertaining ... has me looking at photography from a different angle ...

Jefferson ...

Sep 08, 2015 at 08:08 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Simply, inspirational!

Sep 09, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Tom - Then it was worth it. Thanks, and Jefferson too, Mr. Road Atlanta.

Sep 09, 2015 at 10:03 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Beautiful

Sep 10, 2015 at 07:00 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Beautiful images, Peter.

I stumbled across this thread while researching the 17 TS-E lens.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

Terrific lighting and shot! I'm particularly impressed with how you maintained the detail in the metal highlights and deep rubber shadows while showing the texture of surfaces.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon 5DS R and 17mm T/S-E for product

hotdog12 - It's all just careful and controlled lighting. Because this was a major focus bracket, it would have been a lot more work to bracket exposures as well, so this is just one exposure, and if I recall, only three lights and maybe a couple of reflectors. I'm also fairly certain I used all of the highlight recovering function in Capture One and some of the shadow recovery as well. But that's also something that I'm monitoring as I'm setting up the shot while tethered to a MBP and C1.

Jan 21, 2016 at 01:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.