New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Last Ray of Summer

johnmatrix84
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Last Ray of Summer

I took walk in Central Park last week when the weather had cooled off. The clouds were puffy and white and the sky was a wonderful blue. I headed to one of my favorite spots in to capture the skyline of NYC while in Central Park. As the sun was setting, the rays cut in between the buildings and perfectly illuminated the couple in a rowboat, who were even gracious enough to wear white.

Technically, the image was somewhat challenging to develop. The white buildings blew out in the side light relatively quickly if I boosted the exposure, which left the foreground dark. I had to develop raw file three different ways and blend them together to get everything under control. I also corrected for keystoning and desaturated some parts of the image to create a more vintage feel. I wanted an overall pastel color palette, which I felt suited the more nostalgic feeling of the image. I placed the boat slightly right of center so that it would point to the middle and framed the couple using the two tallest skyscrapers. Comments and criticism welcome!

Sep 04, 2015 at 10:40 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Last Ray of Summer

Based on your objectives, I think you met them. I like the results.

Sep 04, 2015 at 01:29 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Last Ray of Summer

I'm with Ben. Well done and fortuitous light on the couple.
To me this is a case where the near centering works well, perhaps because "static" fits with drifting, resting a while and no movement needs to be implied. Kinda neat, tidy, just so feel to the message. And you have somewhat evenly distributed boats background right.

Scott

Sep 05, 2015 at 09:38 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Last Ray of Summer

Fwiw, and IMHO, I don't like the vertical framing.
I think you needed more foreground. Even cropping the top off above the wide rectangular rectangular building lefts of center, you then get in balance. Same if you crop at top of tallest building, a bit more foreground needed for balance.

Sep 06, 2015 at 06:01 PM
johnmatrix84
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Last Ray of Summer

Thanks for the comments everyone. It is always enlightening and instructive to hear other people's opinions.

Sep 06, 2015 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.