FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Old Prairie Life

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Prairie Life

I probably haven't done anything photography related in 2 weeks. I FINALLY have some down time and the conditions are ugly. Clear or hazy skies. Hoping to get a break from that this weekend. Here is an image from a couple of months ago I finally got to processing.

Click photo to view on black or click here for a larger view

Thanks for looking!

Mulit-image pano with Sony A7r + Canon FDn 20/2.8

Edited on Sep 05, 2015 at 02:20 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2015 at 10:01 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Prairie Life

Great mood to this image, very nice.

-Tim

Sep 03, 2015 at 10:06 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Prairie Life

A lovely shot Scott. Your prairie shots evoke a sense of lonely beauty and power of nature when you show thunderclouds in other photos. One could almost imagine a story here: the story of a once-farmed property but now abandoned with the forlorn looking farmhouse. You could tell it once stood stately on a land rich in soil and vegetation. Where did its occupants go? Perhaps they passed on. Perhaps they, in their old age, could not maintain the expansive property and harsh weather and had to give it up. Speculation is rife and thought-provoking.

I especially like the highlighted bushes in the foreground.

Sep 04, 2015 at 01:01 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Prairie Life

Thank you Tim and Dalite. I agree, if the walls would talk I(we) may not like what they have to say .

Most places sold many years ago to larger farmers who bought up failing smaller farms. Often leaving the house and other buildings as is or use them for storage. Also, people pass on and sometimes the heirs to the property have no interest in using the property so they either let it go as it was their grandparents place and don't want to sell it. Or they just simply rent the farm land out. Either way, it's great for me who likes to photograph these places. Only problem is that I have pretty much found all of them near me and now have to drive 3+ hours one way to get to areas I've not explored. Luckily, things like google earth make this much easier to find abandoned places. Look online, map em out, then just drive to them. Saves me a lot of driving and wasting time and money.

Sep 04, 2015 at 10:44 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Prairie Life

Nice work on this Scott. We travel often and see many deserted farm/ranch houses. Every one would have a story. Just think how much labor went into a house like that. Just carrying the shingles up....

Sep 04, 2015 at 07:59 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Prairie Life

There's something fascinating about the prairies: pioneers and isolated farmhouses, wildflowers, vanishing habitat, great stories by authors (Aldo Leopold, Willa Cather).

Sep 04, 2015 at 10:56 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Prairie Life

Sweet light great composition !

Sep 04, 2015 at 11:00 PM
Nigel Turner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old Prairie Life

Really nice capture Scott. See you are getting along with the A7R.

What lens did you use for this... looks super sharp with great renditions?

Nigel.

Sep 04, 2015 at 11:06 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old Prairie Life

Hey Scott,

What a super cool shot here, love the light and how you worked it.

Jim

Sep 05, 2015 at 12:15 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Old Prairie Life

Beautiful shot Scott.

Sep 05, 2015 at 01:26 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Old Prairie Life

Excellent scene Scott, nicely captured.

I like images like this a lot.

Sep 05, 2015 at 07:36 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Old Prairie Life

Thank you all very much for the comments. I might actually get out today with the camera. Skies are looking promising today.

Nigel Turner wrote:
Really nice capture Scott. See you are getting along with the A7R.

What lens did you use for this... looks super sharp with great renditions?

Nigel.

Thank you Nigel! Yes,.I've had it a few months now and really love using it. The best part is the ability to use older film lenses. Since May I have acquired several old film lenses. With limited funds getting the the Canon 17 TSE and 24 TSE lenses are not an option so I've been doing a lot of research on older less expensive glass. There is some great glass to be had for a fraction of the cost of newer digital lenses.

Older lense in my camera bag right now are:
Canon FDn 20mm F2.8
Canon FDn 35-105mm F3.5 Macro
Canon FDn 300mm F4 L
Contax Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm F2.8
Contax Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.7
Vivitar Series1 105mm F2.5 1:1 Macro

Of all the lenses the Canon FDn 20mm is my most used lens by a large factor. Most of my images are now multi image panos taken with this lens. This image included.

At f8-11 this lens is very sharp and only a little soft in the extreme corners. For a lens I paid $300(cad) for I am incredibly happy with it. It's small too and takes threaded filters.

Sep 05, 2015 at 02:19 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Old Prairie Life

Love these types of structures Scott...wide open prairie, beautiful sky...Great composition!
Dan

Sep 05, 2015 at 02:25 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Old Prairie Life

This is a lovely image Scott, as always. I have a small nit with the green-ish rentition of the sky and somewhat larger nit with the tree on the edge of the frame. I think the branches disrupt the composition considerably. I think it would be great to have clean edges with the tree line in the distance both on the left and right.

Sep 05, 2015 at 02:58 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Old Prairie Life

So beautiful, the lightning is so smooth.

Marcelo

Sep 08, 2015 at 09:21 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Old Prairie Life

Very nice shot Scott! Not overdone and a beautiful prairie scene that is for sure!

Sep 08, 2015 at 09:24 AM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Old Prairie Life

Nice shot...
really like how the dark clouds placement with the house
give balance....

Sep 09, 2015 at 05:37 AM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Old Prairie Life

A very beautiful image Scott. It reminds me of your recent "A House with Flare" picture in the "Decay" WA that I also enjoyed. A very peaceful scene that makes you wonder, as others have mentioned, what happened here and why it was abandoned. Like Dalite, I also like the glow of the foreground bushes. A really nice composition and I'm glad you got out to exercise your vision.

Jon

Sep 09, 2015 at 09:26 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.