New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

vasanth

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

just bought a 7D MKII from BH and went out yesterday to take some pictures of Hummingbirds. the pictures turned out well. so i went out today to take some pictures of waxwings and shot about a 100 pictures. i use a sandisk extreme 80mbps sd card. came home and inserted the card in to my macbook and didnt see any of the pictures from today. i reviewed all the pictures from today several times in camera checking for focus accuracy.
i took the card out and shot a couple of pictures and inserted in to the laptop again and i see the last 2 pictures from today and everything from yesterday. missing about a 100 pics.

any one experience this? long time canon shooter and never seen this before

Sep 03, 2015 at 07:47 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

check and make sure there is only one folder on the card

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:06 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

check and make sure there is only one folder on the card

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:06 PM
vasanth

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

Thanks for the reply. i did check that. there is only one folder and the pictures go from #1-313, and start back up from #419,420 - the last 2 pictures i took to make sure the memory card was okay after i lost 313-418

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:09 PM
vasanth

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

i downloaded an evaluation version of a photo recovery software and i do see all my pictures. do you guys know of any free recovery softwares?

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:24 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4985/kw/recovery

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:34 PM
vasanth

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

Thats the software i tried. its $40. the trial version will only show the files not let you download it.

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:38 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

Have you looked at the files on the computer or just on the camera body? I've never experienced this or heard of anyone else having it happen. did you have dual cards in the camera and accidently save to the other card?

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:47 PM
vasanth

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

I am checking it on the computer. unfortunately i didnt use dual cards at this time since this is my second day of shooting this camera. i am ordering a fast CF card as i am typing this

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:48 PM
BauerPower
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

Sometimes you can buy a new card and the recovery program comes with it and lasts for a year. Whatever you do, do not shoot any more photos on that card until you get the images recovered.

Do you have a buddy that has the recovery software loaded that would recover the images for you?

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:48 PM
vasanth

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

thats exactly what i thought i am taking into work tomorrow to see if our IT dept has a recovery software. i would rather spend the money on a CF card and shoot with dual cards as back ups. thanks everyone for the quick replies.

on a positive note, the pictures are amazingly sharp. haven't done a lot of birds in flight yet but the few i took were amazing. but for some reason the display on the 7D MKII is not as good as my 70D. it looks worse on the camera display than on my laptop. the attached picture i think was shot at ISO 3200

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2wONvHZscQlOFZ2el9FRW1DU0U/view?usp=sharing

Shot with 400 5.6, Handheld, No IS

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:54 PM
vasanth

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

good call on the free software with the purchase of the cards. i am looking at a CF 1066X card and it comes with a recovery software for $55

Sep 03, 2015 at 09:01 PM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

Glad to know my PM got your problem resolved

Sep 04, 2015 at 07:21 PM
vasanth

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

Yes it did. Thanks for your help

riokid wrote:
Glad to know my PM got your problem resolved

Sep 04, 2015 at 07:24 PM
vjswhippet

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

I am having the same problem with my 7D. Never had this problem before with it. Now I've tried 3 different cards and all 3 lose images. Sent it in for repair and of course it wouldn't do it .... get it back after cleaning and 8 images missing ...

Nov 22, 2015 at 07:27 PM
BobMarkey
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

I have had trouble with a couple of formerly reliable CF cards since buying my 7D II. Usually, I can see the images in the camera and am able to use the in-camera copy function to place them on the SD card. However, on Saturday in a rush I used one of my suspect CF cards at the Florida Atlantic-Florida football game and could not get anything to show afterward on the camera or on the computer (computer would not even read the drive).

I found software called ZAR, whose demo version seemed to bring back most if not all of what I lost, including images from more than a year ago. Try: http://www.z-a-recovery.com/tutorials/digital-image-recovery.aspx

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:42 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

vasanth wrote:
Yes it did. Thanks for your help

OK please let the others know what your solution was

Nov 25, 2015 at 02:06 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

Lexar includes a key code to activate their recovery software you download from their website. It's free with the purchase of the card so don't throw away the instructions or package the card comes with. I was using the formatting program in the camera just to see how much space was remaining on the card but instead of selecting cancel, I accidentally chose format which did what it's supposed to do and wiped out all my files. I downloaded the Lexar Recovery Software and it worked great for recovering the photos. However, it failed to recover any video files. I tried other brands of recovery software and those couldn't retrieve the video either.

If your computer will still recognize the corrupted card you can copy the contents of the card to a folder on a hard drive and then run the recovery software on the hard drive folder. You will then have a backup and the recovery software should run faster that way, especially if there are a lot of files.

By the way, are you guys reformatting your cards in the camera after they are downloaded and backed up? If not you should be. I never use the delete option to wipe a card clean, instead I just reformat in camera everytime I need to refresh the card. But don't use the camera's format feature to view available card space. I learned the hard way that it's a dangerous habit.

Nov 25, 2015 at 06:38 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

Konablue wrote:
By the way, are you guys reformatting your cards in the camera after they are downloaded and backed up? If not you should be. I never use the delete option to wipe a card clean, instead I just reformat in camera everytime I need to refresh the card. But don't use the camera's format feature to view available card space. I learned the hard way that it's a dangerous habit.

Its a bit complex.

Reformatting SD cards in the camera is exactly the same as a quick format in your computer. It merely changes the fat table(s) to show that the files are available to overwrite. Doing this with a SD card works fine, but when it comes time to record over the existing files, the write process is suddenly much slower than with a new or blank SD card because the sectors must first be erased. Those who pay a lot for a super fast SD card are losing most of that speed after the card is filled and formatted in camera.

You can regain the speed by doing a low level format (easiest to do in Camera). The down side is that card life is substantially reduced if you do low level formats frequently.

CF cards don't have the issue. I use a very large SD card so that it does not fill so often and does not require frequent low level formatting.

Its best to use a high capacity SD card, let it get full or nearly full of images and then do a low level format. You will then always have the high card speed you paid for.

Nov 27, 2015 at 02:47 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 7D Mark II Lost images Help

I use the software program CCleaner's "Drive Wiper" function to wipe out all traces of files before doing an important shoot to make recovery easier in the event of some catastrophic failure. The only cards that have died on me were from physical damage (cracking a card open or leaving a card in my jeans pocket and subsequently washing the jeans).

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.