Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2015 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16...
  
 
bvphotos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


Yes, different systems, but since I have a body in each, I'm trying to decide which one to go with.

The XF lens has the advantages that it's lighter & a lot less expensive. I'm leaning towards it. I'm thinking that the X-E2 with 10-24 + A7II with FE 55 & Contax G 90 would make a good travel kit. Is there a reason to consider the FE ultra wide, instead?



Sep 04, 2015 at 12:40 AM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


They're both very nice lenses. I have the 10-24 and it's good. However, I'm actually going to sell mine soon for the 16-35 simply because I use the Sony more for landscape work and the Fuji more for people and all around stuff. I also also have the excellent Fuji 14mm to cover wide on Fuji. (Feel free to send me a PM)

Edited on Sep 04, 2015 at 02:32 AM · View previous versions



Sep 04, 2015 at 12:57 AM
allstarimaging
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


What are you going to do with your images? If you are going to print big then the Sony has the advantage. If it's for web and 8x10 prints the Fuji option will most likely be adequate.


Sep 04, 2015 at 01:46 AM
Big Cheese
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


I have both. The Fuji 10 24 has nicer ergonomics and feel IMO, and has very good IQ across the range. The Sony has slightly better IQ but this is more to do with the higher resolution Sony FF sensor. At a 13 x 19 print size it would be hard to tell them apart. The Sony is also an ordinary performer at 35 mm.


Sep 04, 2015 at 04:13 AM
hauxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


In my experience there's not a gigantic difference in print size from a 16MP vs. 24MP file. One has image is 6000 pixels and the other is 5000 pixels. You would have a hard time seeing which is which looking at a print, even a large one. If we were looking at a 20 inch wide print the A7II would be able to print it at impressive 300dpi. The Fuji X-T1 would "only" let you print it at 250dpi. I'd say near impossible to see the difference and lens quality would probably impact the image more.


Sep 04, 2015 at 04:23 PM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


hauxon wrote:
In my experience there's not a gigantic difference in print size from a 16MP vs. 24MP file. One has image is 6000 pixels and the other is 5000 pixels. You would have a hard time seeing which is which looking at a print, even a large one. If we were looking at a 20 inch wide print the A7II would be able to print it at impressive 300dpi. The Fuji X-T1 would "only" let you print it at 250dpi. I'd say near impossible to see the difference and lens quality would probably impact the image more.


I would support this by saying analysis of numbers in this sort of situation almost ends up to be entirely meaningless.

I would be very practical about it.

Go with what you enjoy using the most and what suits your shooting style/environment.



Sep 04, 2015 at 04:37 PM
sflxn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


Get whichever lens you like, but take one system. Two batteries, two chargers, two menu systems, two button layouts. Travel should also be fun. Fumbling with two systems while traveling is not fun. I've done it and won't do it again, but that's just me.


Sep 04, 2015 at 05:23 PM
Mike Tuomey
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


Similar decision here for travel later this month, except I'm deciding b/w xt-1 + 10-24 and FF canon + equiv UW zoom. Weight and size considerations led me to choose the x-t1 and rent the 10-24 for the trip. When I travel I shoot pretty much what I shoot locally, meaning more than just placescapes. Thought initially of just the XF 14 f/2.8, but having the flexibility of a zoom and OIS for handheld stuff in a relatively small package will be nice, I think.

We'll see how it goes.



Sep 04, 2015 at 05:28 PM
hauxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


ricardovaste wrote:
I would support this by saying analysis of numbers in this sort of situation almost ends up to be entirely meaningless.

I would be very practical about it.

Go with what you enjoy using the most and what suits your shooting style/environment.


I agree, can't go wrong with either one. Buy the lens you desire the most. I would probably buy the FE 16-35 because it's got that Zeiss sticker on it. The sensible choice would however be to buy the XF 10-24 and use the saved $400 on something nice. It's incredibly good and few years back people would have paid triple the price for optic as good as the XF 10-24 (and FE 16-35).



Sep 04, 2015 at 07:37 PM
mawz
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


hauxon wrote:
In my experience there's not a gigantic difference in print size from a 16MP vs. 24MP file. One has image is 6000 pixels and the other is 5000 pixels. You would have a hard time seeing which is which looking at a print, even a large one. If we were looking at a 20 inch wide print the A7II would be able to print it at impressive 300dpi. The Fuji X-T1 would "only" let you print it at 250dpi. I'd say near impossible to see the difference and lens quality would probably impact the image more.


The bigger difference in IQ is going to be the occasionally odd foliage rendering on the X-Trans sensor. It's rarely an issue, but when it is it's obvious.



Sep 04, 2015 at 07:41 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



hauxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


Yes, the Sony ithe safer bet if foilage is the only thing you shoot. The rendering of foilage has been the weak spot of X-Trans especially on older versions of Lightroom. I don't know if the problem has become a non-issue with later versions of LR. I might be dependent on shades of green and probably some other greens that are common here in Iceland since I don't find the rendering bothersome in my images. But for places on earth with more vegetation it might be more of a problem...


Sep 04, 2015 at 08:23 PM
itai195
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


To me, the 16-35 FE is the choice simply because the A7 sensor seems better suited to landscapes, and that's what I'd shoot with such a lens.


Sep 04, 2015 at 08:25 PM
galenapass
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


hauxon wrote:
Yes, the Sony ithe safer bet if foilage is the only thing you shoot. The rendering of foilage has been the weak spot of X-Trans especially on older versions of Lightroom. I don't know if the problem has become a non-issue with later versions of LR. I might be dependent on shades of green and probably some other greens that are common here in Iceland since I don't find the rendering bothersome in my images. But for places on earth with more vegetation it might be more of a problem...


The later versions of LR are certainly MUCH better. But, the issue is still there. I think that once one becomes sensitized to the X-trans smearing effect, then one tends to see it even when it has been minimized. Ignorance is truly bliss in this case....IMO.



Sep 04, 2015 at 08:55 PM
hauxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


My guess the OP already knows everything about how the X-Trans files look and probably also knows they need different kind of massage during post. But if you become obsessed with something you'll probably only see what your obsession is about.


Sep 04, 2015 at 09:37 PM
johnctharp
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


Size and weight vs. resolution and DR... I'd err on the side of the Sony, personally, or even adapt (cheap no-AF live adapter) the best-in-class 16-35/4L.

Fuji really could use a 24MP BSI spin...



Sep 04, 2015 at 09:42 PM
Big Cheese
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


hauxon wrote:
In my experience there's not a gigantic difference in print size from a 16MP vs. 24MP file. One has image is 6000 pixels and the other is 5000 pixels. You would have a hard time seeing which is which looking at a print, even a large one. If we were looking at a 20 inch wide print the A7II would be able to print it at impressive 300dpi. The Fuji X-T1 would "only" let you print it at 250dpi. I'd say near impossible to see the difference and lens quality would probably impact the image more.


I did say at 13x19 inches it would be hard to tell the two lenses apart. Then again the Sony sensor has higher resolution but is also sampling the lens at a much lower frequency than an APS-C size sensor. This makes a difference in IQ at the sizes I sometimes print at, eg 36-40 inches.

If not printing this large is a consideration the I would choose the Fuji just for its ergonomics. I like having aperture on the lens as well being able to turn IS off directly rather than through menus. I also enjoy the aesthetic of Fuji lenses more, but that is just a personal thing.



Sep 05, 2015 at 03:11 AM
hauxon
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


My comment came below yours but I was actually replying to this:

allstarimaging wrote:
What are you going to do with your images? If you are going to print big then the Sony has the advantage. If it's for web and 8x10 prints the Fuji option will most likely be adequate.


Also at 40 inches the print resolution would be 150 vs 125 dpi. Both pretty low for paper but both good for canvas.

Hrannar



Sep 05, 2015 at 10:21 AM
justruss
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


The dark horse, if the focal length and MF suits-- is the incredible Rokinon 12mm f/2. It is one of the best lenses I have ever used, and it's cheap, relatively small, offers UWA at very sharp f/2 (corners improve stopping down), is easy to MF on Fuji, and pulls weight for astro. It's the only thing keeping me holding onto my Fuji at this point (X-E1, 5d2, A7rII).


Sep 06, 2015 at 03:54 AM
TMaG82
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


sflxn wrote:
Get whichever lens you like, but take one system. Two batteries, two chargers, two menu systems, two button layouts. Travel should also be fun. Fumbling with two systems while traveling is not fun. I've done it and won't do it again, but that's just me.


100% agree with this. I've done this before and even with a travel compact without interchangeable lenses (Ricoh GR), it's a pain. I would carry around a ILC around my shoulder with a bag of lenses and a compact in the other hand and even then it's a pain. Tried carrying just the GR and missed out on having a change of lenses.



Sep 06, 2015 at 11:43 AM
bvphotos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ultra wide solution: Fuji X + 10-24mm or Sony A7x + FE 16-35mm?


Everyone, thanks for your thoughts.

justruss wrote:
The dark horse, if the focal length and MF suits-- is the incredible Rokinon 12mm f/2. It is one of the best lenses I have ever used, and it's cheap, relatively small, offers UWA at very sharp f/2 (corners improve stopping down), is easy to MF on Fuji, and pulls weight for astro. It's the only thing keeping me holding onto my Fuji at this point (X-E1, 5d2, A7rII).


The only reason I didn't mention this is because I'd prefer a zoom. Especially on the X platform since there are fewer pixels to crop to make up for the lack of zoom. But, having said that, I will look into this as a the cheapest prime solution. While I find MF to be much easier on the Sony platform, at that focal length, MF is relatively easy even on the Fujis.




Sep 06, 2015 at 10:46 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password