New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · 5DsR battery — one data point

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DsR battery — one data point

I have noted before — as have others — that in live view mode the 5Ds/5DsR seem to go through batteries more quickly than do the 5DIII and 5DII.

I've wondered what the effect would be when not shooting in live view. I don't have a definitive answer yet — that will wait for the first time I shoot through a fully charged battery in non-live-view shooting. However, I'm just back from a morning photographing whales along the central California coast.

I made 398 exposures. All were using a 100-400 v2 with a Canon 1.4x TC III, using AF in Av mode. Most used single shot mode and no burst, though I did also make a number of exposures in AI Servo and with burst.

At the end of the 398 exposures the battery charge indicator still shows three bars.

Dan

Edited on Sep 03, 2015 at 05:21 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:05 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DsR battery — one data point

Not too bad at all. Thats plenty of frames

Sep 03, 2015 at 04:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DsR battery — one data point

A couple of photographs, hot off the press...

Bubble-Feeding Humpback Whales:

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/NaturalWorld/Nature/Wildlife/Mammals/HumpbackWhalesBubbleFeeding20150903.jpg

Pelican, Reflection:

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/NaturalWorld/Nature/Wildlife/Birds/PelicanReflectionWaterPointLobos20150903.jpg

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:21 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DsR battery — one data point

I just carry 2 spares with any camera. Then batteries are never an issue.

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:24 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DsR battery — one data point

I just carry 2 spares with any camera. Then batteries are never an issue.

I own four, which is typically more than enough. The circumstances in which I'm likely to shoot through multiple batteries include wildlife photography (especially birds), some kinds of people photography, and backpacking. (For the latter I also have a solar charging system.)

Dan

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:29 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DsR battery — one data point

Rather than notice how many bars are on the top lcd, go into the menu and read the actual percentage of battery used. I recently shot about 450 shots at a concert with a 70-200 2.8 II with IS on and minimal chimping. After that one battery was at about 65 percent and the other at about 68 percent. Pretty horrible battery life. But so far, that's the worst thing I have to say about the camera.

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:32 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DsR battery — one data point

Peter Figen wrote:
Rather than notice how many bars are on the top lcd, go into the menu and read the actual percentage of battery used. I recently shot about 450 shots at a concert with a 70-200 2.8 II with IS on and minimal chimping. After that one battery was at about 65 percent and the other at about 68 percent. Pretty horrible battery life. But so far, that's the worst thing I have to say about the camera.

At the risk of prompting yet another thread to be infected by Sony, let me add (as a new A7rII owner, alongside Fuji and Canon): compared to mirrorless, 450 shots at about 65-70% (assuming your example is two batteries in a grip each losing 30-35%) of a battery isn't so bad. I had gotten into the habit of carrying 4-5 Fuji batteries, and now the A7rII eats the things even when off and airplane mode turned on.

I remember the revelation of getting the 5D2 and the joy of having no idea how many exposures a battery would cover-- since it was so many.

The big issue is when you're out in the field for an extended time without great recharging opportunities. When I was shooting an assignment in Mongolia last year we had a slow solar charger we'd unfold on the ger/yurt, and one spot where I could charge a single battery each night. Fine if your batteries get you 1000+ exposures, less fine when they get you 200-400.

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:47 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DsR battery — one data point

Peter Figen wrote:

Battery life (at least in live view) is the biggest (little) downside that I've encountered. My real test will likely come in about November when I start the season's migratory bird photography. That definitely challenges battery life.

I've also long noticed that the "bars" display is not a particularly linear indication of battery life.

Dan

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:50 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DsR battery — one data point

justruss wrote:
.. (assuming your example is two batteries in a grip each losing 30-35%) of a battery isn't so bad...

I don't use a grip, preferring to keep the overall package small and simply swap in a new battery when needed — so this is from a single installed battery.

The big issue is when you're out in the field for an extended time without great recharging opportunities...

I recently acquired a VoltaicSystems 20W solar panel, their higher capacity (but still small) battery, and various cables and adapters. I've tested it out enough to confirm how it works, but I haven't yet used it in the field. (A fully charged solar charger battery will certainly charge multiple camera batteries.) That opportunity comes very soon, when I'll be in the backcountry for slightly more than a week, and charging a small Macbook Air laptop and various camera batteries. I plan to write up a report on the experience when I return.

A friend who will accompany me on the upcoming trip uses a computer with much higher power requirements (Macbook Pro 15" Retina) and he shoots both a Nikon D810 and a Phase One MF system, so he got a charging system with more capacity than mine, something from Goal Zero. (He also likes to start his post-processing in the field! I try to resist...)

BTW, after using a 2001 vintage home-brew solar charging system based on 12v lead acid batteries, I have to say that the contemporary systems are remarkably better.

Dan

Edited on Sep 03, 2015 at 08:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:56 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DsR battery — one data point

I take Dan's report as good news. Ain't a big deal to swap a battery anyways.

Peter, I don't think that's horrible at all.

Sep 03, 2015 at 06:07 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DsR battery — one data point

It's maybe the equivalent of getting 750 frames per battery, and that's on a good day with no Live View. So far using Live View probably cuts that in half or more. All I'm saying is that often with the 5D3, you'd go four to five thousand on a single battery, even though Canon advertised about 800-900 or so when it first came out. A lot of people were surprised at how good the 5D3 was with batteries and are surprised once again at how opposite the 5DS is.

Sep 03, 2015 at 06:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DsR battery — one data point

Peter Figen wrote:
It's maybe the equivalent of getting 750 frames per battery, and that's on a good day with no Live View. So far using Live View probably cuts that in half or more. All I'm saying is that often with the 5D3, you'd go four to five thousand on a single battery, even though Canon advertised about 800-900 or so when it first came out. A lot of people were surprised at how good the 5D3 was with batteries and are surprised once again at how opposite the 5DS is.

I've never gotten close to four or five thousand frames on a battery from a 5D-series camera. I have gotten more than a thousand frames in the past.

The 5Ds/5DsR certainly, as I've written, gets fewer exposures from a battery than my previous 5D-series bodies. We'll see how that plays out once I have an opportunity to shoot subject that lets me run a battery down to zero without using live view.

Dan

Sep 03, 2015 at 06:18 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DsR battery — one data point

gdanmitchell wrote:
I don't use a grip, preferring to keep the overall package small and simply swap in a new battery when needed — so this is from a single installed battery.

I recently acquired a VoltaicSystems 20W solar panel, their higher capacity (but still small) battery, and various cables and adapters. I've tested it out enough to confirm how it works, but I haven't yet used it in the field. (A fully charged solar charger battery will certainly charge multiple camera batteries.) That opportunity comes very soon, when I'll be in the backcountry for slightly more than a week, and charging a small
...Show more

Dan, I wasn't quoting, or writing to reference to you in that statement you'll see upon closer inspection.

Sep 03, 2015 at 06:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DsR battery — one data point

I used to shoot eagles at 4 degrees F for hours. Burst mode with a 500 f4 and 1.4X. I alternated with a 50D. The 1DS3 of course was far superior. But a big lens and cold weather were really tough on both battery systems, but the 50D died pretty fast. Put the battery in my shirt pocket and it would be worth a few more shots later on.

Now days I am doing mostly landscapes and almost exclusively in live view mode. I turn it off between shots a lot more these days. I used to watch the live view to decide when to shoot (changing colors) Now I am more careful.

I usually come home these days with less than 200 shots on a card (per day).

I have the battery that came with the camera and (2) 5D3 spares. I am planning on picking up one more for extended trips.

Edit to clarify.I wanted to point out that temperature is a major factor with battery life, not just clicks. Also that a long lens is using power and of course so if live view.

Edited on Sep 04, 2015 at 09:26 AM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2015 at 06:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DsR battery — one data point

justruss wrote:
Dan, I wasn't quoting, or writing to reference to you in that statement you'll see upon closer inspection.

:-)

Thanks.

Dan

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:44 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DsR battery — one data point

I'm with you Dan on battery life being one of those things that for the most part just isn't that big a deal-- it's an annoyance. I mean, we used to have to change film every 24/36 exposures (if you weren't shooting larger format stuff... each exposure), carry it with us, keep it after use. So 2, 4, 6 small batteries in a pouch just doesn't matter all that much.

Still an annoyance, and a nice bonus when (like with my 5D2) it becomes one more thing you just don't have to worry about.

Sep 04, 2015 at 12:23 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DsR battery — one data point

gdanmitchell wrote:
I've never gotten close to four or five thousand frames on a battery from a 5D-series camera. I have gotten more than a thousand frames in the past.

The 5Ds/5DsR certainly, as I've written, gets fewer exposures from a battery than my previous 5D-series bodies. We'll see how that plays out once I have an opportunity to shoot subject that lets me run a battery down to zero without using live view.

Dan

I normally recorded over 3K on the 5D III for wildlife, with some power to spare. I'm hoping the 5DsR is good for 1500 frames in continuous AF/drive with no LV and minimal chimping.

EBH

Sep 04, 2015 at 12:33 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5DsR battery — one data point

I don't have (and probably never will) a 5DS/R but I do have the 5D3 and while Peter's number of 5K images could be a tad over the top I can attest to north of 1.5k before I even hit the 50% power drop (where the FPS slows down a little ) . I never use a grip and only have 2 batteries . I don't think I've ever used the 2nd 'spare' in a days shooting when I've remembered to charge my batteries before a shoot (oops )

But back to the 5Ds/r . I've seen many posts on here and other sites that all point to how much power the thing is using . even if you don't expect it to sip its juice like the 5D3 as it obviously has more than twice the amount of photo sites on the sensor to feed it still seems to be gulping its juice and letting most of it run dow its chin

Sep 04, 2015 at 01:20 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5DsR battery — one data point

It could be interesting to find out a little bit more about the power consumption profile of the 5DS. As it was with Sony NEX cameras, it was useful to find out that the best practice to preserve battery was to turn the camera off between shots.

Points worth consideration:

- How much can be saved by turning automatic image review off
- Is there any difference in writing to CF or SD card?
- What is the difference related to RAW or JPG or RAW+JPG storage?

Sep 04, 2015 at 02:21 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5DsR battery — one data point

The reports of very high shot numbers with the 5DIII make me think two things:

1. I wonder if the 5DIII hit a kind of high point for power efficiency in the 5D-series? I used a 5D, a 5DII, and now a 5DsR... but I skipped the 5DIII. I know that I have gotten more than 1000 (the number 1200 sticks in my mind) from the 5D2 and maybe a bit more, but I'm jealous of those who get three or four times that.

2. Perhaps I need to replace my batteries more often! I have occasionally been guilty of trying to squeeze out that last life of batteries that were no longer very good at holding a charge.

Dan

Sep 04, 2015 at 09:33 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.