New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

tonytastic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

Hey guys,

I'm on vacation in Tokyo and I currently have my 5D mark 3 with a 24-70. I brought the camera up to Mount Fuji and it was wrapped, and the bag it was in had a rain cover. I noticed that some water did get into the bag but the camera itself was dry.

I was about to take over 100 shots with it no issues after and when I placed it on my lap, it started firing off by itself and gave me an Error 20.

I tried taking out the memory cards, using a different battery and changing the lens but with no avail. I brought it to the Canon Service Centre but he says what everything I've search said, which is that Err20 is an mechanical issue with the mirror.

I've posted a video here to show the issue:

Can someone let me know if they have experienced this and if there is a short term fix? The service centre estimated that it will take 10 - 15 business days to get it fixed (I'm not in in Tokyo that long, so I'm going to have to send it into Canon when I get back to Toronto).

Thanks!
Tony

UPDATE:
Sent the camera to Canon, they fixed it within 4 days; only a flat rate for out of warranty repair. They replaced the PCB board and adjusted the camera to spec... but thats as much as they said. Camera works as before now!

Edited on Sep 25, 2015 at 04:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2015 at 02:16 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

I didn't experience this but I'd try two or three things besides what you already did in the video:
1. Clean the lens contacts. Make sure everything is dry.
2. Remove the battery + the time/date circular battery - also try to power it on without any batteries to make sure the capacitance is drained completely. Put the batteries back and power it on (with fingers crossed)
3. Re-install the firmware

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Best of luck to you.

Sep 03, 2015 at 03:42 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

I've heard the solutions where people remove the batteries and it allegedly fixes it- but not one single time I've had a camera failure have I had that work.

I wouldn't think the moisture is related to the mirror, or rather the mirror is related to the moisture.

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:56 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

Removing the batteries had helped me solved problems more than once...but not on this problem - I don't have it. Of course if it's a real failure, you can remove the batteries until the cows come home, it won't solve anything.

Sep 03, 2015 at 09:23 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

It sounds like a strictly mechanical error. If the technician could not fix it, I think that home brew fixes are not going to help.

If its under Warranty, have it fixed. Will Canon Tokyo consider giving/renting you a loaner since you are on vacation? Maybe trade it in for a working one?

Sep 03, 2015 at 10:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

Can't you have the mirror box assembly replaced after your return?
What are your backup camera(s)?

EBH

Sep 03, 2015 at 10:42 PM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

It will have to be replaced after my return; I didn't bring a 2nd body with me on vacation (left it at home to save some weight). In any sense, I'll chalk this up as a lesson learn (bring two cameras for long and important vacations); I won't be back in Tokyo for the rest of the trip so I won't be able to return the loaner even if they offered me one.

Thanks for the response guys, It is rather disappointing that the camera went nuts so suddenly when i just had it on my lap doing nothing.

Tony

Sep 04, 2015 at 06:46 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

Got this off an internet search Refers to 5D3
sorry to bring up again this old topic but I had the same issue with my 5Dmark3.
It was only 3 months old.
The context was: my 5Dmark having in the card slots both a SD card and an CF card coming from my old camera.
Verified:
- adding the Compact Flash card generate the error code 20
- removing the CF card avoid this error code.
Since, I have only SD card, and this error code have not appear any more.
Hope it can help.
Regards

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

Had that problem with a 1d4. Canon had to repair it. I can't recall what parts needed to be replaced, but it was some kind of shutter box malfunction if I remember.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Mark III Err20

I've only ever had the "oh sh!+" failures

diverhank wrote:
Removing the batteries had helped me solved problems more than once...but not on this problem - I don't have it. Of course if it's a real failure, you can remove the batteries until the cows come home, it won't solve anything.

Sep 12, 2015 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.