New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Yellowstone questions

Vcize
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone questions

Headed for a long weekend in Yellowstone and had a couple of quick questions.

1) I was hoping to do some night sky photography with light painted foregrounds. How far are artist point and lookout point from lower Yellowstone falls? I have a Fenix tk75 flashlight with a throw distance of 300-400 yards and was wondering if that would be enough to paint the falls and surrounding Canyon.

2) I understand that there are risks associated with being out there at night. I will be alone. Driving I plan on taking REALLY slowly but how worried should I be when I'm out of the car? I have bear spray.

3) As far as wildlife goes, I know that dawn and dusk are the best times. Is one preferable to the other? With night shooting likely going until 1am and our accommodations being in West Yellowstone that would leave me only a couple hours of sleep each night (and a rambunctious 1 year old to chase after during the day) if I got back out there pre-dawn.

Sep 03, 2015 at 01:19 AM
DeweyB1

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone questions

Both places at Yellowstone canyon are more than 400 yards from the falls so I'm not sure how well your flash will work. If your going to be alone at night make noise and keep your bear spray handy. Also be on the lookout for Bison. While setting up to shoot sunrise near Madison Junction one morning 2 bison came up behind me. They were only 10 feet away before I saw them. Best rule to follow day or night is always be aware of your surroundings. Wildlife can be seen at anytime of day. Mornings are great and evenings are just as good. Have fun, be safe and enjoy your trip.

Sep 04, 2015 at 07:51 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone questions

I just returned from a trip there, and did night shooting. Bears are very much a danger, especially now as winter nears and they are feeding as much as possible. I limited where I went unless I could bring along two others (and bear spray!) I'm an experienced outdoor guy and mostly do photo alone at night in the Dakotas during winter, but I definitely felt uneasy out at night in Yellowstone. You'd be better off staying inside the park as the drive in from West Yellowstone is a pain in the ass.

Kent in SD

Sep 05, 2015 at 11:05 PM
Vcize
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone questions

Two23 wrote:
I just returned from a trip there, and did night shooting. Bears are very much a danger, especially now as winter nears and they are feeding as much as possible. I limited where I went unless I could bring along two others (and bear spray!) I'm an experienced outdoor guy and mostly do photo alone at night in the Dakotas during winter, but I definitely felt uneasy out at night in Yellowstone. You'd be better off staying inside the park as the drive in from West Yellowstone is a pain in the ass.

Kent in SD

I wish staying inside the park were an option, but this was a last minute trip and all the lodging inside the park is well booked up (I've been checking for cancellations, but haven't found any and am only a few days out now).

Thanks for the note about night shooting. I really want to get out there and get some of those milky way photos but it's unlikely I'll be able to get anyone to go with me unless I meet someone in the park during the day. Definitely don't want to do anything too dangerous either. Would somewhere that I can stay near the car be reasonable? The hike down to the closer Lower Yellowstone Falls lookout is out of the question but what about Grand Prismatic Spring or Old Faithful (though I'd have to go around to the back side of Old Faithful)? Are those overlooks close enough to the car and/or civilization (Old Faithful Lodge) that bears would be less likely to be an issue?

Sep 05, 2015 at 11:24 PM
Doc4659
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yellowstone questions

I'll be there the 26th and have shot several times at night, If you're there I'll shoot at night with you.

Sep 08, 2015 at 05:07 PM
Vcize
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yellowstone questions

Doc4659 wrote:
I'll be there the 26th and have shot several times at night, If you're there I'll shoot at night with you.

Appreciate the offer! However it's this weekend that I'll be there (Sat/Sun night the 12th/13th). Let me know if you're going to be around.

Sep 08, 2015 at 05:13 PM
Doc4659
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yellowstone questions

Wish I was, I'll be pulling in sometime late on the 25th and will be there thru the 30th.
Let me know how your trip goes.

Sep 09, 2015 at 06:47 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yellowstone questions

Doc4659 wrote:

FYI, Sept 27 is the start of the PSA convention in Yellowstone.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Doc4659
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yellowstone questions

I was unaware of the convention.
I'm sure there'll be more a lot more photographers than normal.

Sep 10, 2015 at 06:49 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yellowstone questions

Back side of Grand Prismatic Spring has many signs designating it as a bear area. Be careful.

Sep 10, 2015 at 06:58 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yellowstone questions

Doc4659 wrote:
I was unaware of the convention.
I'm sure there'll be more a lot more photographers than normal.

With the bus tours, the photogs will get bunched up in certain areas. I'm going on the ones to Oxbow bend and Mammoth Hot Springs.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Doc4659
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yellowstone questions

Walt,
Enjoy your trip, Oxbow is beautiful.
It's almost always crowded and people line up along the edge of the parking lot.
Make sure you go down to the waters edge as there's several spots to shoot from down there.
When are you going down?

Sep 19, 2015 at 05:05 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yellowstone questions

I'll be there the week of the 27th. My Oxbow bend and Mammoth hot springs tours are on the 27th and 28th, respectively. The tours are being repeated several times during the week. Other buses are going to Yellowstone Canon and Old Faithful. Detailed schedule is on the PSA website:

https://www.psa-photo.org/index.php?2015-psa-conference

Sep 19, 2015 at 06:00 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yellowstone questions

Definitely recommend against going alone in the dark. Have you read about the bear attacks on humans in Yellowstone in the past couple of years? The most recent one was a park seasonal employee who hiked alone off trail in broad daylight this summer. He was killed near Lake Village and his body was partially consumed.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.