New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mamiya 7 / 7 II Repairs?

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mamiya 7 / 7 II Repairs?

A friend of mine recently picked up a Mamiya 7 II which needs some work. The leaf shutter will cock in "Multi" mode but not in Single Shot mode. She's done some test shots with it by switching back and forth between modes (actuate the winding knob in Single Shot to advance the film, then actuate the winding knob in Multi to cock the shutter) but obviously that's not realistic.

I don't know when she bought it or under what circumstances so I don't know if she'll be able to return it (which would be my recommendation), so can anyone recommend a good repair technician for these cameras?

Sep 01, 2015 at 01:50 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mamiya 7 / 7 II Repairs?

They need to contact Bob Watkins over at Precision Camera Works. My 7 is just about to leave there, in fact. Their current CLA charge is $360.

http://precisioncameraworks.com

He's more than just a good one-- he may be the only one. If not, he's certainly the best. Working on 6s and 7s are a major part of his business.

The winder is the most vulnerable and frequently broken part of the 7. A common problem in other words, and most likely fixable.

Sep 01, 2015 at 08:22 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mamiya 7 / 7 II Repairs?

http://www.stevecamera.com

Sep 01, 2015 at 11:01 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mamiya 7 / 7 II Repairs?

MAC used to be the go-to place for Mamiya but mamiya recently pulled back from them (removed their distributorship) and are doing their own repairs... in Japan? Hard to guess. Good to know of these alternative vendors.

Sep 04, 2015 at 11:14 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mamiya 7 / 7 II Repairs?

PCW (of Illinois, as there are others) isn't so much an alternative as the main option now if you have a Mamiya 6 or 7. They bought up all of MAC's parts for Mamyia 6s, and Bob does a great job on the 7s as well. I just got my 7 back today. Hadn't remembered what a crystal clear viewfinder looked like.

When my 7 originally broke in 2012, I was going to send it off to MAC in New York, but their quoted price was over $700. I think it may have come close to $800, though I can't remember now. Bob repaired mine for around $380. He was kind enough this time around to give me a bit of a discount for having worked on my camera before.

Sep 05, 2015 at 04:02 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.