New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 24-105 Front Element REMOVAL

drew.bowser
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 24-105 Front Element REMOVAL

Bought a lens with severe scratches on the front element. Doesn't affect the IQ in normal conditions, but it does cause haze and flair when shooting towards a light source.

Has anyone every removed a 24-105 front element? Is it an easy removal or does it require complete disassembly?

I know Roger is probably the guy to ask But this is out there for anyone? Also, would canon Sell just the part?

Sep 01, 2015 at 11:25 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 24-105 Front Element REMOVAL

search youtube for how-to
search google for schematic diagram or ask Canon directly for the part number - I think they even sell it by itself
then search Ebay for parts
- it might end more expensive than options below

Canon will do it - ask ahead for cost

Your local repair store will do it - maybe for less than Canon

Edited on Sep 01, 2015 at 11:34 AM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2015 at 11:29 AM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 24-105 Front Element REMOVAL

Ive been with CPS in the past, like last year and I don't want to pay more than a hundred bucks or so for the repair as its putting it close to the price I could have paid in decent condition. Ive found a bunch of disassembly videos, but none that I can tell show the front element disassembly. Just the entire lens. And they are also time lapses, lol.

Sep 01, 2015 at 11:31 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 24-105 Front Element REMOVAL

drew.bowser wrote:
I don't want to pay more than a hundred bucks or so for the repair as its putting it close to the price I could have paid in decent condition

yeap

Sep 01, 2015 at 11:45 AM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 24-105 Front Element REMOVAL

Bacalhau wrote:
yeap

What a classy and useless response!

I have no problem buying a part and repairing it myself, to be completely honesty, the lens is functional as is. Just with some limitations with flair.

One of the main reasons I am here is to talk with other people that may have had the same need or experience in repairing a piece of gear. Why send a lens to canon for them to repair it for $300, when I could do it at home for 1/3 the price if its a simple removal of a few screws.

Ive seen whole front element assemblies for the less than $200 on eBay, so I don't think its a stretch to want to get t just the element for less than that.

Any helpful advice is welcomed!

Sep 01, 2015 at 12:06 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 24-105 Front Element REMOVAL

drew.bowser wrote:

I have no problem buying a part and repairing it myself, to be completely honesty, the lens is functional as is. Just with some limitations with flair.

One of the main reasons I am here is to talk with other people that may have had the same need or experience in repairing a piece of gear. Why send a lens to canon for them to repair it for $300, when I could do it at home for 1/3 the price if its a simple removal of a few screws.

Ive seen whole front element assemblies
...Show more

Because Canon and any worthy repair store will replace the front element safely and properly, will do any calibration and any other adjustments if needed, and then check that everything is in order.
At $200 piece, you only shy maybe $100 (maybe more)
Next time, you should do a research in advance about what would be the repair cost upfront
I have been in that "boat" too - yes. it's tempting to buy damaged items that seem easy to repair, but often too many times, as with other things, cheap does come very expensive in the end.

I doubt anyone wants to risk giving you full instruction in how to do it - liabilities?
If you had ask here before buying it, you would have plenty of useful feedback from similar experiences

Yes, was meant to be sarcastic and useless - Google is your friend.

ps: IF you watch the videos closely, you will see that in some cases involves removing a frontal ring to get access to holding screws.
ps2: I have done it in a 17-40mm, but just to remove dust
ps3: I have replaced/swap a front element on a 80-200mm
looking back now, in both cases I would had been better off taking it to the store, or just leave as it is. Both tasks were successful, but very stressful, and took me a long time between research and actually doing it- would not do it again, but that's just me

Good luck in your endeavors...(out)

Sep 01, 2015 at 01:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 24-105 Front Element REMOVAL

drew.bowser wrote:
I don't want to pay more than a hundred bucks or so for the repair as its putting it close to the price I could have paid in decent condition

Bacalhau wrote:
yeap

drew.bowser wrote:

Ive seen whole front element assemblies
...Show more

Maybe you can find a dead 24-105 for scavenging parts. Rarely is a damaged product worth much more than the cost of decent repair. Otherwise the owner would have had it repaired. Of course it sometimes happens.

EBH

Sep 01, 2015 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.