New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Day Camp // documentary

zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Day Camp // documentary

Hey all,

I spent some time this summer documenting my local summer camp. My kids were there for the summer (my wife and I went as kids as well), so I did a bit of bartering.

I've never really had the experience of truly documenting something freely, and it was quite interesting. It was also my first time in a few years shooting digitally and that was a change for me. I'm really not used to post-processing and I think the images show that.

I'd love some C&C as well!

(I moved from wordpress so have no easy way to embed the photos here, there's much more posted on my site: http://zalmyb.com/camp-days )

Edited on Sep 01, 2015 at 10:24 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2015 at 07:55 PM
benee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Day Camp // documentary

I already saw this on Facebook, but I'll say it again. Great stuff. Was the entire set digital

Aug 31, 2015 at 08:26 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Day Camp // documentary

benee wrote:
I already saw this on Facebook, but I'll say it again. Great stuff. Was the entire set digital

Thanks man!! Yup all digital. They wanted the photos pretty quickly and I would have had to run through serious hoops to have gotten my film developed and scanned so quickly.

Sep 01, 2015 at 12:46 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Day Camp // documentary

Link doesn't work? Domain for sale?

Sep 01, 2015 at 01:40 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Day Camp // documentary

Zalmy typoed - try - http://zalmyb.com/camp-days/ it's worth it.

Wonderful to see a post from you. This was my favorite set from you yet - better than the apple orchard. I love how you get right in there with the action. You always have some unique compositions that just work as well.

I would have never guessed these were digital, I would have bet money this was your normal film work. I think the post work is great, I'd love to hear what secret formula you used in post.

If that kid charges $100 to be quiet, I wonder what he charges to be awesome?

--David

Sep 01, 2015 at 06:31 AM
jodo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Day Camp // documentary

Inspiring work, Zalmy. Agree with neighnor dave re post work. The image with arrow is my fave. Followed by tug of war. But all are good - need more time to view.
Good Stuff

Sep 01, 2015 at 07:52 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Day Camp // documentary

stevez32 wrote:
Link doesn't work? Domain for sale?

D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out, it's fixed. Though I kind of want to buy that zalmy.com site...

Sep 01, 2015 at 01:28 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Day Camp // documentary

neighbourboy wrote:
Zalmy typoed - try - http://zalmyb.com/camp-days/ it's worth it.

Wonderful to see a post from you. This was my favorite set from you yet - better than the apple orchard. I love how you get right in there with the action. You always have some unique compositions that just work as well.

I would have never guessed these were digital, I would have bet money this was your normal film work. I think the post work is great, I'd love to hear what secret formula you used in post.

If that kid charges $100 to be quiet, I wonder what he charges to
...Show more

Thank you David!! I do like getting in very close, but I tend to get myopic and forget how to shoot any other lens (this was all with a 28 and a few with an iPhone) or any other way...
I just slapped a VSCO (Gold alt+, from the free pack) on these with some very slight adjustments (brought back a tiny bit of shadow detail and tweaked the blues a bit (they were too Aqua). I really struggled with the colors indoors though (mixed fluorescent lighting), with film that was never an issue for me.

This was by far my favorite "session" or whatever it's called.

Thanks Jodo!

Sep 01, 2015 at 01:32 PM
loosh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Day Camp // documentary

I knew from the first photo that this was your stuff, and I would have guessed that they were film. Maybe a bit too punchy on 5, but they certainly have your style. They're awesome.

Sep 01, 2015 at 02:29 PM
zalmyb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Day Camp // documentary

loosh wrote:
I knew from the first photo that this was your stuff, and I would have guessed that they were film. Maybe a bit too punchy on 5, but they certainly have your style. They're awesome.

thanks!!

Yeah, I was having issues with that image, trying to get it where I wanted without looking that punchy/grungy. I need more practice with this whole pp thing.

Sep 04, 2015 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.