Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

thanks, Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2015

GoetzPhotoz 2015

GoetzPhotoz 2015

Edited on Sep 03, 2015 at 07:29 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:21 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Well of course the last is my favorite, but its because of the subject and pose. Sorry Scott, hard to give you too much credit when shooting such subjects

As usual for this sort of venue, all I can do is relate the impact the images have on me, treat my comments like a non photographer.

The first, seems like too much shadow on the face. It is my least favorite.

The second is very cute and I like it.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:37 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

+1 to much of what Ben has already said.

1. Looks like it was shot at high noon with the top-down sun.

2. Diggin it! Maybe bring down the hair hotspot and bring up the eyes?

3. Best of the bunch by far. On my crappy work monitor I'm seeing some blues or cyan in the hair. I might look to clean up the eye reflection a bit, but that's personal preference. The kid really has the world in his eyes!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:30 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

More great "Life's moments" shots Scott!

+1 @ the others comments. I didn't notice the funky cyan (almost white) hair streaks in the last image until Jeff mentioned it. Now I can't un-see it.

The head clip in the last image #3 kinda bothers me. Perhaps if you don't have more room at the top you could cut a little more off to make it look intentional?

Out of this set, I like #2 the most due to the interaction and dynamic's. Would have liked the little guys elbow in there but I think it still works the way it is.

I can't see it but I suspect Karen might see and pick-up on any skin tone issues that might be present. She's crazy good on that stuff.

Ben and I will just set on the sideline and enjoy.

Dave

Aug 31, 2015 at 01:14 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

lighthound wrote:
More great "Life's moments" shots Scott!

+1 @ the others comments. I didn't notice the funky cyan (almost white) hair streaks in the last image until Jeff mentioned it. Now I can't un-see it.

The head clip in the last image #3 kinda bothers me. Perhaps if you don't have more room at the top you could cut a little more off to make it look intentional?

Out of this set, I like #2 the most due to the interaction and dynamic's. Would have liked the little guys elbow in there but I think it still works the way it is.

I
...Show more

My guess is going to be that she throws a little more pink/red into the skin, even though I know he's a fair-skinned little dude.

But I anxiously await.

Jeff

Aug 31, 2015 at 01:20 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

All good! All cute! And, all three might have been a little better with more of the subject and context that was cropped in camera from the bottom of the frame. If you included more in the first, he wouldn't have isolated toes. In the second you could see him holding the boat, explaining why his hands were full and he was vulnerable to being "pelican-ed". In the third more chest would give better visual balance so he wouldn't seem to have a disproportionately large head. Small children grow their heads first and their bodies eventually catch up. Cartoonists know to exaggerate this. We have a soft spot for young folks and young critters which is why cartoonists draw cartoon characters with large child-like heads. For some reason when you include more body, the enlarged heads of children are less obvious. I suspect, when you include more body it includes more context that says "child" and the larger head size is more expected and therefore less noticed.

Aug 31, 2015 at 02:18 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

AuntiPode wrote:
All good! All cute! And, all three might have been a little better with more of the subject and context that was cropped in camera from the bottom of the frame. If you included more in the first, he wouldn't have isolated toes. In the second you could see him holding the boat, explaining why his hands were full and he was vulnerable to being "pelican-ed". In the third more chest would give better visual balance so he wouldn't seem to have a disproportionately large head. Small children grow their heads first and their bodies eventually catch up. Cartoonists know
...Show more

I wonder if the shallow DOF enhances this?

How about the skin tones?

Jeff

Aug 31, 2015 at 02:27 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

A shallow depth of field removed distraction and makes aspects such as proportions more obvious.

Yes, the skin tones could use some adjustments, especially the first and third.

Aug 31, 2015 at 02:32 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

AuntiPode wrote:
A shallow depth of field removed distraction and makes aspects such as proportions more obvious.

Yes, the skin tones could use some adjustments, especially the first and third.

Would you care to go into the particulars of said adjustments, please?

<3

Jeff

Aug 31, 2015 at 03:42 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Here's one:

Aug 31, 2015 at 04:29 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Last:

Aug 31, 2015 at 04:47 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

That's what I'm talkin about!

Thanks Karen

Aug 31, 2015 at 04:49 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Although #3 is my fav due to the pose and technical details, but with a little better lighting I would fall for #2 due to its wonderful moment.
Agreed with Karen about cropping a bit the top dark area of #1.

Henry

Sep 01, 2015 at 07:26 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

thx folks and especially Karen for detailed reworks/screenshots of the layers/adjustments.

Outdoor lighting was difficult but the moment wins out. Still I wonder if a bit of fill flash would have helped. And I can see why a planned shoot would include that and a bit of reflector off the side.

The crop issues are all ones I saw. And hoped wouldnt be commented on. Which I would have interpreted as flaws overshadowed by other aspects of the captures.

Finally, here is one more. Played a bit more with post-processing "fill light". For now I have left the dripping water with a greater focus on crop, color balance, lighting for your input.

What about the bright green/yellow background? I usually don't shoot such bright images but kinda like the look. Is the grass too saturated, too hot? Off in color? Does it matter? Would you attempt to neutralize the bluish tint on the lower half of the face? In the teeth?
Thanks.

Scott

Sep 03, 2015 at 07:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Might be possible to fix the blue/cyan cast from the light reflected by the pool if adjusting the raw file, but from the jpeg it's beyond me.

Sep 04, 2015 at 12:57 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

1) I like the dripping water. It helps deliver the message of fun in the pool.
2) The grass does look a bit bright but seems to work well with the bright portrait. Color wise I'm no help on that.
3) I think the blue cast from the pool is ok in this case because you captured just enough of the pool to allow our brains to understand why the blue cast is there. I know for a fact you could see it reflected like that with your eyes so why not leave it in there? I would love to hear what other think about it as well because I might be completely wrong on this.

I think you did a great job on his hair in such harsh light! Nice shot Scott!
Dave

Sep 04, 2015 at 09:40 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Thanks for the additional comments.
Dave, glad to have your thoughts about the reflected cast. Makes sense to me.

Scott

Sep 09, 2015 at 03:32 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Karen,
thanks for all your input, explanations, effort.
Scott

Sep 09, 2015 at 03:33 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Scott if I have anything of value I would regarding the first two images is getting lower may have made more impact. I like all three. I know nothing about people photography.

Ted

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:42 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · more family photo feedback, please! (and one more, SVP)

Ted ellis wrote:
Scott if I have anything of value I would regarding the first two images is getting lower may have made more impact. I like all three. I know nothing about people photography.

Ted

Thanks Ted. Lower might have been better. But then there is getting up afterwards

Personally I feel I am a much stronger, more advanced nature photographer but grandkids......hey, you've got to do "people" too.
I am learning.

Scott

Sep 11, 2015 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.