New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR6 exports not correct

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR6 exports not correct

I've been struggling trying to figure out what is happening to my LR6 exports for some time now and I need help to get this corrected.

It seems like it has something to do with any images that I have applied a lot of noise reduction in. I'm not sure if that's what is causing it but my exports do not look the same as my edited DNG raw files inside of lightroom.

Below is the most recent example of this and it's driving me crazy!
In my edited raw file I have reduced the noise seen in the swirls but in my exported JPEG files it's as if I never made/used the adjustment.

Someone suggested maybe it was my Proof setting was messed up but from what I can see there is no change when I check on the Proof or even the Soft Proof. I'm capturing in and exporting as sRGB.

I don't know if this helps but I have noticed that the amount of edit work that is missing is almost the same as the last amount of the image rendering as LR6 loads the file. You know the little circle thing in the bottom right hand side indicating that it still loading. Basically my exports look just like the rendered image just before it finishes loading the file in Lightroom which only takes a few seconds. The exports have most of my edit work but it seems as though the noise reduction is being lost some how.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why some of my adjustments are being lost or discarded when I export my files to JPEG or even TIFF files?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Aug 31, 2015 at 09:46 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR6 exports not correct

One thing I could think is what is your export sharpening set to? The issue I have with LR exports is I set my export sharpening to screen and high that it sharpens the entire image on export and brings back funky sharpening orange peel affect in the OOF areas especially that while in LR I mask off during sharpening. This export sharpening may be re-sharpening your NR areas too much and making them look not as smooth or have funny texture as mine do. I mostly noticed this when printing large prints but do notice it with uploads to FM and Flickr.

Sep 01, 2015 at 08:14 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR6 exports not correct

Last night I tried to figure this out or at least isolate what is happening and I noticed that if I leave the develop module and view (compare) the edited raw file next to the exported jpeg file in the library module, they look the same. Both have lost all NR editing and sharpening that I applied. But if I go back into the develop side the raw file clearly shows my edit work again.

I then research this and read many many threads out there from people having the same issue all the way back to LR 4.4 I think. From what I was gathering, it sounds like a LR bug/glitch but I never found a solution to this.

What the hell good is an editing software if it doesn't give you the results that it shows you as you are editing the image?

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Dave

Sep 01, 2015 at 08:21 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR6 exports not correct

arbitrage wrote:
One thing I could think is what is your export sharpening set to? The issue I have with LR exports is I set my export sharpening to screen and high that it sharpens the entire image on export and brings back funky sharpening orange peel affect in the OOF areas especially that while in LR I mask off during sharpening. This export sharpening may be re-sharpening your NR areas too much and making them look not as smooth or have funny texture as mine do. I mostly noticed this when printing large prints but do notice it with uploads to
...Show more

Thank you! I'm not using any export sharpening (never have) and have verified this just to make sure. What I might try is to make a few exports with various settings to see if I notice any change.

Whatever is happening appears to have ALWAYS been happening all along, however unless I have pushed things to more extreme, this goes un-noticed to my eyes. When I have to push NR or sharpening (basically any pixel manipulation) LR is not retaining this information on export or even as viewed in the library module.

This is just stupid crazy and it's driving me nuts. I really like Lightroom but what good is it like this. I might have to switch to a different program I guess.

Dave

Sep 01, 2015 at 08:31 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR6 exports not correct

Just one of many many thread discussions I've found and read about this Lightroom issue. I don't know how a corrupt monitor color profile could possibly cause this issue but I'm desperate and I'll try anything I guess.

But in the end it doesn't look like there was a clear solution in this discussion.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/6242501

Sep 01, 2015 at 09:57 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR6 exports not correct

Is there some kind of a top secret Lightroom society run by the mafia or something?

Is it one of those (You ask about this Lightroom "bug" and you come up missing never to be heard from again) kinda thing?

Are people simply afraid to talk about this bug or is it that nobody here has ever had this issue?

I thought I was getting close reading this one because folks were coming out point blank and describing it as it truly is (a bug) but in the end there was still no solution.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/966991?start=40&tstart=0

I'm about ready to pull my hair out with this and I don't have much hair left to spare.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a different editing software where you can actually SEE the end result while you are editing the image BEFORE you print or export as a jpeg?

Dave

Sep 02, 2015 at 01:33 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR6 exports not correct

Dave,

Having used LR since ver 1.0, I've never run across this issue. Never the less it appears you are certainly experiencing something real. Why don't you make available the original (not the DNG) .cr2 and the corresponding .xmp in a dropbox link so others can experiment first on their own with just the .cr2 and then try it with your adjustments using the .xmp.

BTW: have you experimented without going through the DNG conversion to rule out anything?

Matt

Sep 03, 2015 at 08:26 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR6 exports not correct

Thank you Matt! The DNG conversion is something I had not considered.

Unfortunately all of my cr2 files are long gone for any previous work where I've had this problem but I think I still have the original cr2 files for the above image. I'll look into this and see if it happens with my cr2 and report back.

Thank you for giving me some hope! God I hope this is it!

Dave

Sep 03, 2015 at 01:35 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR6 exports not correct

I have a few uncompleted thoughts on this.

Can you put the RAW file, Cr2 or DNG with your adjustments and the jpg on drop box?

I will upload these on my system and see if the issue remains.

Sam

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:28 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR6 exports not correct

I came across a blog post from Jeffery Freidl about the problem with Lr to jpeg export. See link:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

I've been using his plugin for a while now and use nothing else. He does a pretty good job explaining what the export process entails. I hope this link helps but, I'm thinking(with nothing to support my claim) that exporting to jpeg from a somewhat compressed file format as DNG might be the cause of what your experiencing.

Sep 03, 2015 at 05:49 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LR6 exports not correct

I've never used dropbox before so I hope this works. I've included the cr2 file and xmp and also stuck the dng file in there also.

I started over from scratch with the cr2 file to see if it would happen and it seemed a little better so I slammed the clarity up to 100 to make the issue more pronounced. But after doing so, I think the DNG export looks slightly better than the cr2.
I made my adjustments to the cr2 file then sync'd them over to the DNG file after doing a reset to get it back to square one.

*** Please note that these files have been pushed (clarity) to the extreme to make the issue more pronounced.
Deleted link

I have spent yet another night trying different things to see if I could figure this out. I have discovered that the files viewed in the Library side look exactly like my exports but when viewed in the develop side they look like I intended with much less noise.

When I view the images at 1:1 I see no difference between the develop image or the Library (export) image. But at 1:1 it kind of defeats the purpose because you can't see how the over-all image is looking until you zoom back out.

Below are screen captures that clearly show the differences between them.

How the images look in the develop module is on the left and the Library or export is on the right.

Thank you all for any advice you can share.

Dave

CR2 - Develop on left Library on right

DNG - Develop on left Library on right

CR2 jpeg export quality 100 Res 300

Edited on Sep 08, 2015 at 12:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2015 at 09:03 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LR6 exports not correct

OK, I downloaded the images and played with them for much longer than I should have.

When pixel peeping I can see lots of little stuff, noise, hot pixels, etc.

That said I can't really see anything that disturbed me between a RAW or jpg. files in LR, PS or my MAC preview app.

Sam

Sep 04, 2015 at 11:41 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LR6 exports not correct

Thank you Sam for taking the time to look at it.

So when you view the image in the library side of lightroom at full size, you do not see the same as what I show above?

Dave

Sep 04, 2015 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.