Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

Earlier this year I acquired a LN- Nikon 70-200 2.8g VRII, complete with hood, caps, case, etc. Perfect in every way. Great lens. Only thing is, I find I don't use it.

I got it after a trip to our zoo, realizing I had nothing longer than the Zeiss 100mp. Well, I don't go to the zoo that often! And it is a big deal to get that lens in a kit and work with it. Lovely photos, to be sure.

So I am going to sell/trade it, but what for? I am thinking either the Zeiss 135, or a DF. The problem with the former is that it is also a fl I will rarely use, big, and has no VR. The DF is probably dumb, as I already have a D800, and camera bodies do not retain value like lenses.

It just bothers me to have so much tied up in a lens sitting in a box...

Aug 30, 2015 at 09:58 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

Sell it and put the money to use paying of any debt (including mortgage/car loans) or invest it in a Roth IRA, 401k, or something else simple if you have no debt. If you've no debt and you've maxed out your investments, take a vacation or go somewhere nice for dinner a few times.

Or buy the Zeiss 135mm, because it's absolutely beautiful. But if you find it too big and useless, return to the advice above.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:04 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

I just recently sold my pristine copy of the vr1 to a coworker at a great price. I too, wasn't using it

This is gear so keep it in the cycle of gear

I'd say lens first. That zeiss I've had my eye on for so long lol.

If not get a df or dare I say fund it towards an a7rii

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:21 PM
swifty168
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

Its really versatile as a portrait lens, both outdoor handheld and the zoom's really handy for tripod use.
But I don't shoot nearly as often as I used to so I'm also finding it hard to find room in my bag for it, especially now that I own a 40-150/2.8 for my m43 kit that's doing travel duties.

I think if you haven't used it for 6-12months, there's no point keeping it.
Sell it and buy second hand again so you can 'sample' other great lenses, like the Zeiss 135.

Personally I'd probably sell mine and start a 200mm f2 fund.

Aug 31, 2015 at 01:43 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

Sell it and unless and keep the cash. Don't buy gear for the sake of buying gear.

Aug 31, 2015 at 04:58 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

designdog wrote:
Earlier this year I acquired a LN- Nikon 70-200 2.8g VRII, complete with hood, caps, case, etc. Perfect in every way. Great lens. Only thing is, I find I don't use it.

I got it after a trip to our zoo, realizing I had nothing longer than the Zeiss 100mp. Well, I don't go to the zoo that often! And it is a big deal to get that lens in a kit and work with it. Lovely photos, to be sure.

So I am going to sell/trade it, but what for? I am thinking either the Zeiss 135, or a DF. The
...Show more

David, you ought to have an "Upload and Sell" subscription and sell it on here. Not only is it better than selling it on the bay, but it also helps to maintain this site. Then take Marks advice and wait until you think you REALLY have a need for a specific lens.

Aug 31, 2015 at 05:02 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

I have a lot of gear I don't use that often. And the more gear I acquire, the less each individual piece is used. Can't say my 70-200mm is my most used piece, but when I want it, I'm glad it's there.

You may decide to just hang on to it also when you see how much less you'll get for it versus what you paid, if minor details like that bother you.

Aug 31, 2015 at 05:07 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

If you need the length but don,t want the bulk, the 70-200mm f4 is very nice.

Kent in SD

Aug 31, 2015 at 07:35 AM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

Check your EXIF data and see what FL you used when you shot it.
I bought an old AF 180mm 2.8D and loved it for the first shoot I did.

Aug 31, 2015 at 08:06 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

Send it to me ... I will use it for you.

The logical thing to do is sell it.

Aug 31, 2015 at 08:13 AM
designdog
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

Great advice, all.

Actually, I have found Lightroom to be the best way to see an overview of my shooting habits. There is a Lens selection in the Metadata section, which gives you the breakdown by lens. Very handy.

I think I am going to go online here and offer to trade (with cash) this lens for the Zeiss 135...

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2015 at 08:22 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

Two23 wrote:
If you need the length but don,t want the bulk, the 70-200mm f4 is very nice.

Kent in SD

+ 1

I had a 70-200 2.8 and that range is very seldom used for me. So I sold it and purchased the much smaller 70-200 F4. It's fantastically sharp and much easier to justify in my bag.

Oh, and like Craig says, you never know when you'll end up needing it.

Aug 31, 2015 at 08:30 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

It is not likely to increase in resale value over time so I would sell it as soon as you can and pocket the money. I echo the sentiment that the best place to sell the lens is on fredmiranda's buy sell forum. I have bought and sold items using this forum and been 100% satisfied with the results.

I too have this lens and since buying the 80-400mm VR II lens I find that I use the 70-200mm very little and only for landscape photography. I don't know if I can justify holding onto the lens but then again it does have its uses even if this is not as frequent as in the past.

Sep 01, 2015 at 03:06 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

elkhornsun wrote:
I too have this lens and since buying the 80-400mm VR II lens I find that I use the 70-200mm very little and only for landscape photography. I don't know if I can justify holding onto the lens but then again it does have its uses even if this is not as frequent as in the past.

I'm finding the same thing. I have both. I find the 70-200mm f2.8 heavy and too short for most outdoor subjects. Anymore, I only use it for weddings/portraits. When going out for an outing, the 80-400mm AFS is so versatile that's what I take. It is big though. I borrowed a 70-200mm f4 last month, and would buy that if I didn't need f2.8.

Kent in SD

Sep 01, 2015 at 09:42 PM
coibeo2610
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What to do with my 70-200mm 2.8g VRII ?

I've acquired loads of lens and also sold lots of them since then. The reason of selling and keeping the lenses basically depends on my needs and wants. I used to shoot professional and spend a lot of time of using and learning photography hence the feeling was great when I got all of equipments that I need. Later on, I sold most of my lenses and only keep the ones I use the most which are the Sigma 35 ART and the 85.

You might want to sell it to get some cash because cash is still the most valuable thing in the end. Buying and renting equipments are pretty easy nowadays.

Sep 05, 2015 at 11:31 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.