Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the ...

fdevyatkin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

When you go to process your NEF files from the D750 and you zoom in to 100% you can seen the grain, and the stellar sharpness. When you back off to 67% the image is great..to 50% it is spectacular, and at 33% I don't miss the D800 I traded!
DSC_0235 by fdevyatkin, on Flickr

DSC_0273_pp by fdevyatkin, on Flickr

DSC_0256 by fdevyatkin, on Flickr

DSC_0250 by fdevyatkin, on Flickr
Thanks, Fred

Aug 30, 2015 at 04:59 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

Looks plenty sharp to me. What lenses you using for these?

C

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:19 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

That's great the D750 is all you need. For me, I need the resolution of the D8xx bodies. But that's why Nikon makes more than one camera body since we all have different needs.

Jim

Aug 31, 2015 at 03:49 AM
fdevyatkin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

Chris Court wrote:
Looks plenty sharp to me. What lenses you using for these?
Thanks Chris
I was using the 80-200 2.8, closed down to f4 to keep the whole face in focus when angled.
Fred
C

Aug 31, 2015 at 05:01 AM
fdevyatkin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

JimFox wrote:
That's great the D750 is all you need. For me, I need the resolution of the D8xx bodies. But that's why Nikon makes more than one camera body since we all have different needs.
If $$ were no object I'd have the D810 too. I found it less tolerant of my spontaneous candids. But for anything that allows me to compose and plan, it was stellar.
Thanks for your input. What content are you shooting?
Fred
Jim

Aug 31, 2015 at 05:08 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

Hi Fred. It may not be about content as much as shooting style and printing capabilities. Most photographers try to frame the image in the camera with no/minimal crop in post. Then there are some who see an interesting scene, capture the image wider than necessary and then crop in post. Depending on the aggressiveness of the crop, the D800/D810 provides sufficient resolution should you want to eliminate 60% of the image (for example) and still wind up with an image of decent resolution. Think full body shot cropped to a head shot or a heavy crop of a wildlife shot to "zoom" in.

Certain fashion mags and large ad agencies insist on as much resolution as you can provide. They want the option to go from web-sized to huge wall prints for conventions and shows, etc. In some of those cases you're talking Hasselblad or Phase one 50 to 80 megapixel resolution, 16-bit color, etc.

The D750 and the D800/D810 are outstanding cameras. Do they provide enough resolution? For many publishers, yes and for some, no. My D810 covers the work I take on and yes, I could probably do very well with a D750 as well. I also have a D600 (24MP) and when I grab a camera for a shoot, resolution doesn't really enter my mind. Both have enough.

Hope that provides another perspective on resolution.

Thanks,

Larry

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:58 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

You buy what you can afford, and if you are critical of your own work it's either that you are looking for that "edge" a piece of equipment can provide on top of your skill as a photographer, or it's "good enough." The edge isn't always resolution however, but may be other features/improvements a body offers.

Neither is wrong by the way.

Since I shoot detailed landscapes mainly, with wild ferocious animals the other genre, I prefer as much resolution as possible. The least important criteria for me is ISO capability, since 95% of my images are shot on a tripod within an ISO range (64-2000).

Without going to larger format equipment, the D810 is the best camera for me right now. Until something changes...

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:15 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

When I shot with the D3 I often found that my ability to crop an image was greatly limited by the 12MP files. 24MP provides a 50% gain in resolution and provides more 'head room" for images.

I bought the D750 to get the 24MP file size but dislike the actual camera controls layout which is like that of a D5300 or D7100 camera. I now use it as a backup for the D810.
The D810 in 1.2x mode provides virtually the same image area as the D750 and that of the D7200. I now see the 1.2x as a more viable alternative much of the time, as when using telephoto lenses to crop a scene.

Most people have an exaggerated notion of the image file size needed for a print of any size. They are unaware of the concept of normal viewing distance. A photo on a billboard along the highway will be at 110dpi. A poster at a theater will be at 140dpi. The variable is the actual distance at which the picture will be viewed. The larger the print the greater the viewing distance and this means that the 240dpi needed for an 8x10 inch print is not needed for a 20x30 inch print. This is why so many beautiful gallery quality prints have been made by cameras like the 2.3MP D1h.

Sep 01, 2015 at 03:01 PM
fdevyatkin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

elkhornsun wrote:
When I shot with the D3 I often found that my ability to crop an image was greatly limited by the 12MP files. 24MP provides a 50% gain in resolution and provides more 'head room" for images.

I bought the D750 to get the 24MP file size but dislike the actual camera controls layout which is like that of a D5300 or D7100 camera. I now use it as a backup for the D810.
The D810 in 1.2x mode provides virtually the same image area as the D750 and that of the D7200. I now see the 1.2x as a more
...Show more

I agree about large prints. Two of my baseball images hang on the outside of the stadium,each 3 by 5 meters. I shot them with a D700, but at the distance they are viewed, the density is fine.
I mostly shoot sports with a D7200 now, so I'm not cropping much at all. The D7200 and the D750 have nearly identical controls, so going from one to the other is nearly seamless.

Actually, the D750 is a 100% gain in resolution over the D700
Fred

Sep 01, 2015 at 08:38 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

That's cool and those are some nice shots! 24MP is usually enough for most purposes, but not everything. I shoot a pair of D810 bodies for both print size resolution AND because some magazine demand it.

I had a photo published last year in Lake Superior Magazine as a two page spread. Because of the fold, they wanted to do a little cropping. My 24MP image from my D3x almost missed the cut because it wasn't high enough resolution, but in the end they decided to use it. (and at the time the image was captured it was the highest res cam in 35mm format). So, it all depends on who / what you're shooting for.

Sep 01, 2015 at 09:10 PM
fdevyatkin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does the D750 provide enough resolution? Faces from the crowd with the 80-200 2.8

Steve Perry wrote:
That's cool and those are some nice shots! 24MP is usually enough for most purposes, but not everything. I shoot a pair of D810 bodies for both print size resolution AND because some magazine demand it.

I had a photo published last year in Lake Superior Magazine as a two page spread. Because of the fold, they wanted to do a little cropping. My 24MP image from my D3x almost missed the cut because it wasn't high enough resolution, but in the end they decided to use it. (and at the time the image was captured it was the
...Show more
Good point Steve.
Media guys in front office crop my pics for whatever format they need (program cover, advertisement, calendar, web site, baseball cards) and it still has my name on it. Helps to start out with enough info. Lighting and clarity seem to have the biggest positive impact.
Thanks, Fred

Sep 02, 2015 at 05:10 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.