New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Trapped in a Bubble

georgetd
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trapped in a Bubble

I've been sitting on these photos for a while, procrastinating because I can't decide which of these I like better and because I'm not sure I'm happy with the technical aspects of the shots. The idea of the images I think is pretty cool, but focusing through plastic on moving targets turns out to be hard.

The boy in the shots wasn't as active as some of the other kids, but that made focusing easier, and he has some great expressions.

The girl, I'm not sure if I missed focus or if the plastic is blurring the shots. There's also the issue of the man standing behind the bubble. I have a sequence of these as the bubble is filled with air.

Lights at upper right have been cloned in

Don't look at that garbage bag on the left

I really want this one to work, but I think I've missed focus on the girls face

Aug 29, 2015 at 08:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trapped in a Bubble

A kid in a bubble is the subject here. Not much chance of getting a sharp image when shooting through thick plastic. I think you captured the essence.

I like the last one best. Maybe some contrast and lightening of the girl will help. You just want her to be more prominent, not necessarily critically sharp. I think I would only work on the head and upper body where you have enough light to work on.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trapped in a Bubble

Like this? A quick work on it. I brightened up the area around the girl using curves. I then used the spot healing tool to eliminate a lot of the white spots, then I sharpened it around the same area.

Aug 30, 2015 at 02:02 PM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trapped in a Bubble

ben egbert wrote:
Like this? A quick work on it. I brightened up the area around the girl using curves. I then used the spot healing tool to eliminate a lot of the white spots, then I sharpened it around the same area.

Thanks Ben, I went back and worked a bit more on brightening up the girl in the bubble. I was quite a lot more aggressive with spot removal, and with brightening. Then had to go back and darken the eyes a bit. Maybe I've gone too far.

Aug 30, 2015 at 03:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trapped in a Bubble

That's what I had in mind. Probably a lot easier on the raw.

Aug 30, 2015 at 05:01 PM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trapped in a Bubble

I just can't get past that the focus in #3 isn't as good as the others. Instead, I've done several of the same basic changes to #2 for submission instead. The boy is actually pretty well focused, I'm not sure how that happened.

Aug 31, 2015 at 08:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.