New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · IMAC Vs MBP Viewing

mysh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IMAC Vs MBP Viewing

I have a 27" IMac and a 15" MBP Retina. FOr the first few years of doing photography I did my editing on a 17" MBP, but about 1 1/2 years ago decided to get the 27" IMac for my editing. I also sold the 17" and picked up a 15" MBP retina for my laptop needs.
The imac is not retina . Since making the switch to the imac for editing I have noticed something that has been frustrating. I will edit the shots on the imac and they will look very sharp and have nice colors and clarity. I will upload them to flickr and although they lose a little of those qualities on flickr they still look good on the imac.
Once I view flickr on my MBP retina the same photos will look less sharp and clear and the colors lose some of their pop. Viewing my flickr photos on my imac and MBP give me different looks.
Recently did the comparison with some of the nice shots on this forum and I notice it with other peoples photos as well.

I have tried different settings with the MBP display settings and nothing makes a difference. I do have the MBP and imac set the same way.

I really didn't think the MBP retina would look worse than the imac. Do other people have a similar experience?

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:49 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IMAC Vs MBP Viewing

I should add I normally uplod my photos to flickr in tiff mode and do it with the long end set at 3000 with LR5. This is for normal shots that aren't pano etc.
Not sure if this would affect how they display.

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:53 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IMAC Vs MBP Viewing

You could try making the Flickr tiffs jpegs instead, and make them at full resolution, just as an experiment.
I acquired my first Retina MBP 15" recently, and I am not terribly impressed with the overall look of the display. Both color and contrast are only slightly better than my 2009 MBP 13", and the resolution is more than is needed, and makes things seem a touch soft.

Sep 01, 2015 at 02:04 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IMAC Vs MBP Viewing

has anyone else compared a non retina imac to a retina 15" mbp? Have you noticed any difference in color and clarity?

I did think maybe it was how I was saving the files but I notice it with other peoples images as well. I have been disappointed with the MBP retina overall

Sep 01, 2015 at 08:36 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IMAC Vs MBP Viewing

Did you calibrate both displays?

Can't comment on your situation. I use a 17" MBP with a matte screen and an external Dell 27" monitor. The Dell is excellent and has 99% of Adobe RGB, way more than the MBP. Obviously images look better on it but because I calibrate both to the same standards (using a Spyder4 and ColorEyes Display Pro software) even the laptop screen is very, very good.

Sep 02, 2015 at 03:44 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IMAC Vs MBP Viewing

I went from the 15" rMBP to a 27" non-retina iMac for editing. The bigger screen makes a huge difference - even though it's less ppi, it still makes files "pop" a lot more. Photos are meant to be seen big, and the difference is resolution doesn't change this too much.

Sep 02, 2015 at 09:40 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IMAC Vs MBP Viewing

i never calibrated either screen just used apples preset settings. I did try all of them on both screens and never found a match.

I thought calibrating would only affect color anyways and I see a big difference with clarity as well.

Maybe its just the bigger viewing makes the difference

Sep 12, 2015 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.