New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

BobnJake
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

Here's my game plan, my niece currently is shooting with an old Canon Rebel, she has a two year old beautiful daughter, she has a great eye for photography and I'm trying to work out a deal for her. She has about $700 to invest and I'm off to the side going to throw in up to an additional $1000, this will be for just the camera body, she will have access to all of my Canon lenses, as I'm hardly shooting that much any more, so she will never want for a lens. Can you guys make some suggestions on which way I might look to go, I was just scanning thru the Buy and Sell, saw some pretty good deals, thinking maybe 5DII, 70D?? It's been some time since I've kept up to the latest and greatest out there. I was fortunate to get the 1Dx when they first came out, love the camera, so I really haven't been keeping up with what's going on. Any comments/suggestion would really be appreciated. Like I said, she has a great eye for photography, trying to get her something that for now might be overkill, but it's always nice to be able to grow into a camera, especially since she will have access to all my lenses
Thanks guys
Bob

Aug 29, 2015 at 05:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

6D.

Aug 29, 2015 at 05:07 PM
UCSB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

I've seen 6D's really low ... and you would have a lot left over for some other items. Also don't forget Canon's loyalty program where you can trade in a camera and get a refurb ... haven't heard much about it lately, but might be worth considering.

Aug 29, 2015 at 05:13 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

Well, you should probably tell us what and how she shoots - is it just her toddler indoors in natural light, or does she like shooting landscapes, wildlife, or whatever? I would also say the 6d is probably a good general purpose body, but she might benefit from something like the 70d or 7d2 if she likes/wants to do video as well.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:18 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

6D unanimously.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:33 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

6D will be perfect.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

Ordinarily I'd suggest a crop body, since lenses cost less and you get more reach for when the kids get into sports, but if she can use all your lenses then I'd agree with the 6D party. Probably the best general-use camera in Canon's lineup.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

Since you have a FF, that would mean you use EF lenses, so stick with a full frame, because she will be using all your lenses. I say 6D or 5DIII, I think the 5DIII may give you more FPS than the 6D, but others can correct me if I am wrong. She will want more FPS for the young 2 year old who will be moving around fast.

I would also seriously consider the 7DII for fast moving young children, who will grow and be active in sports, dance etc. A couple efs lenses, perhaps the 15-85 or the 18-135 STM and one fast prime and then she can use your longer ones.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:51 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

Thanks everyone, looking into the 6D, didn't even know it was there before you guys stating talking about it
Thanks again
Bob

Aug 30, 2015 at 06:27 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

For right now the 6D or 5DIII are the best choices and either quite frankly will continue to be great for many years. However, if down the road her kid gets into sports she will need one with higher FPS.

Matt

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:39 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

schlotz wrote:
For right now the 6D or 5DIII are the best choices and either quite frankly will continue to be great for many years. However, if down the road her kid gets into sports she will need one with higher FPS.

Matt

I don't think you really need a high fps body for shooting your kid's sports. Sure, it's nice, but definitely not necessary. Unlike a professional shooter who needs to have the best shot at getting every important moment in a game, a parent just has to follow one athlete, giving them many, many opportunities to capture good moments.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:49 AM
WestFalcon
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

6D is the best camera for the money in my opinion.....full frame and great high ISO performance as well as built in HDR...a steal at just over $1,000 used

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:55 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
I don't think you really need a high fps body for shooting your kid's sports. Sure, it's nice, but definitely not necessary. Unlike a professional shooter who needs to have the best shot at getting every important moment in a game, a parent just has to follow one athlete, giving them many, many opportunities to capture good moments.

Generally I agree. However, even at u11 level of soccer, the balls can move fast enough that unless you are very good at anticipating correctly a 5 fps body can miss getting the whole ball in the frame right after a strike. My reason in suggesting a higher fps body was to provide longer term obsolescence coverage i.e. for the later years in sports (high school) where the action gets even faster.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:02 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

schlotz wrote:
Generally I agree. However, even at u11 level of soccer, the balls can move fast enough that unless you are very good at anticipating correctly a 5 fps body can miss getting the whole ball in the frame right after a strike. My reason in suggesting a higher fps body was to provide longer term obsolescence coverage i.e. for the later years in sports (high school) where the action gets even faster.

That's true. I've shot some high school sports (football, soccer, rugby, and hockey) with 5fps and you definitely do miss a few moments. It comes down to how much you value capturing every moment - is it worth paying an extra $2000 or whatever to get 50 more keepers of your kid? For some people yes, for others they might only print 5 photos anyway, so the extras don't matter. I found that 5fps, while not ideal, gave me at least 10 solid shots per game. Of course, that was also using an entry-level crop sensor camera with either the very slow to AF 55-300 or the range limited 105mm macro. I imagine that you'd get a few more keepers with a FF body and 300mm f2.8 and extenders. But definitely, a higher fps body would come in handy, and if it's affordable for someone then it's a fine purchase.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:23 PM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

Another vote for the 6D. This camera will work out great for your niece and can be found for a great price now.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:40 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

Thanks again guys for taking the time to comment, looking more and more that it's be the 6D
Thanks again
Bob

Aug 30, 2015 at 01:38 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

BobnJake wrote:
Thanks again guys for taking the time to comment, looking more and more that it's be the 6D
Thanks again
Bob

6D is a really lite camera, perfect for a woman.

Aug 30, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

IndyFab wrote:

My wife thinks the 6D is a beast and hurts her hand! She borrowed my SL1 and I never got it back...

Aug 30, 2015 at 03:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

IndyFab wrote:

Manly yes, but I like it too.

Aug 30, 2015 at 04:24 PM
takowasa
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need some "educated" opinions on Camera for my Niece

6D (my vote) or SL1 (although it might be worth waiting to see if an SL2 doesn't come out very soon). Either way, I recommend small and light lenses (not sure what lenses are in your collection). I would definitely give serious consideration to the 50 / 1.8 STM ($125) whether she gets crop or FF.

Aug 30, 2015 at 09:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.