Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

PDBreske
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

I'd like some recommendations for an online lab for printing large black and white prints on some kind of photo paper, not canvas wraps or metal.

My usual lab—Mpix.com—only prints as large as 20" x 30". I'd like to find a place where I can get as large as 24" x 36" or maybe bigger. I also love their True B&W Paper and I'd like to find someplace else that has a similar option.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:53 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

check these guys out...........

http://digitalsilverimaging.com/printing

Aug 29, 2015 at 05:45 PM
PDBreske
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

howardm4 wrote:
check these guys out...........

http://digitalsilverimaging.com/printing

Impressive. Have you used this service? If so, how was your experience? For $156 (24" x 36" RC print), I expect great reviews.

Aug 29, 2015 at 05:53 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

Have you tried B&W K7 Piezography MPS printing? It provides a bit more latitude and selection of papers with both glossy and matte fine art papers.

My 9900 prints excellent B&W prints on a variety of fine art papers, but try as I might, my 9890 K7 B&W Piezography printer is always just a bit better.

Ken
www.carmelfineartprinting.com

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:16 PM
PDBreske
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

kdphotography wrote:
Have you tried B&W K7 Piezography MPS printing? It provides a bit more latitude and selection of papers with both glossy and matte fine art papers.

My 9900 prints excellent B&W prints on a variety of fine art papers, but try as I might, my 9890 K7 B&W Piezography printer is always just a bit better.

Ken

Since I don't feel the need to spend $3000 on a new printer for a handful of prints, this isn't a solution for me.

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:20 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

You missed the link, Phillip!

I've been a fine art printer for photographers and artists for years. My fine art printing website is www.carmelfineartprinting.com for most orders, and I'm one of the few fine art printers that do provide K7 B&W Piezography printing.

I'm more than happy to help you with some test prints.

ken

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:27 PM
PDBreske
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

kdphotography wrote:
You missed the link, Phillip!

I've been a fine art printer for photographers and artists for years. My fine art printing website is www.carmelfineartprinting.com for most orders, and I'm one of the few fine art printers that do provide K7 B&W Piezography printing.

I'm more than happy to help you with some test prints.

ken

Ah! Okay, I get it. I'll check it out.

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:46 PM
PDBreske
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

Ken,

I've kind of fallen in love with the look and feel of my Ilford Gallerie Silk paper. Are you familiar with it? If so, what do you have in stock that resembles this paper?

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:54 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

Hi Phillip,

I think you'll find that Canson Baryta Photographique to be a twin to the Ilford Gallerie Gold Fiber Silk, with minor differences, if any, being attributed to the old and continued IGFS. I tend to favor Canson as they shy away from OBAs in their fine art paper offerings. Paper selection is largely subjective and I found that I liked Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag Baryta better, and Canson Platine Fiber Rag a step up and better yet. Again, there is a degree of personal taste involved here, especially when selecting the best paper for a particular subject matter.

I don't normally stock IGFS, but it is also a popular enough or rather similar enough paper to others that it is not a problem for me to stock if you have your heart set on IGFS. There are many fine art papers that I have in stock and are available but are not listed on my website mostly to keep things simple. These types of papers are general offerings on my 9900 printer and they are excellent.

For K7 B&W Piezography, I find myself gravitating towards Cone 5 for MPS gloss, as this paper most reminds me of a B&W fiber print. For K7 B&W matte, I favor either Cone 2 or Canson Rag Photographique. Here the feel of the paper is part of the experience as well.

PM sent.

Ken

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:54 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

PDBreske wrote:
Impressive. Have you used this service? If so, how was your experience? For $156 (24" x 36" RC print), I expect great reviews.

No personal experience (ie. I print my own) but I've seen their work on 2 different occasions and thought it was very good. YMMV

Aug 30, 2015 at 08:20 AM
PDBreske
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best online lab for large B&W prints?

Ken, I got your PM. Reply pending.

howardm4 wrote:
No personal experience (ie. I print my own) but I've seen their work on 2 different occasions and thought it was very good. YMMV

Okay, thanks for the info.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.