FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · 4K video cards

15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 4K video cards

Just running a few numbers through Newegg i price a new PC at around $850 in components. That includes the SSD you want to buy anyway, a new case and power supply, but assumes you will reuse your DVD drive and hard disks. It doesn't include an OS.

If thats a bit pricey, you could knock off 50-80 bucks by going with a slightly slower CPU ( i spec'd a top end model ).

Aug 30, 2015 at 01:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 4K video cards

Well I don't build my own so that price would be higher even if I had one built. An HP with SSD is around $1300. The Dell is less but has no SSD unless maybe you go to the business section or go to the refurbished section. I have bought a couple there in the past.

Aug 30, 2015 at 01:48 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 4K video cards

If you are happy installing HDD's, SSD's and graphics cards, it isn't a long hop to building your own.

Aug 30, 2015 at 01:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 4K video cards

15Bit wrote:
If you are happy installing HDD's, SSD's and graphics cards, it isn't a long hop to building your own.

It has always been the BIOS that stops me. I used to design electronic hardware, but as a mechanical guy, We had a saying, the electronics is F-ing magic.

The real problem is the matching of components, bus type, form factor, connection types, PS size, is the component I choose nearly obsolete? This thread shows me why I have always avoided it.

And I am not really happy installing SSD, HDD, at least not when they are the system drive.

Aug 30, 2015 at 02:09 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 4K video cards

I can see the problem. The nice thing is that nowadays almost everything is integrated on the motherboard, which makes it all a lot easier. Still, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself then you should find someone to do it for you. Got any geeky grandkids?

Aug 30, 2015 at 02:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 4K video cards

15Bit wrote:
I can see the problem. The nice thing is that nowadays almost everything is integrated on the motherboard, which makes it all a lot easier. Still, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself then you should find someone to do it for you. Got any geeky grandkids?

Nope, I can outgeek any of them until you come to superhero movies.

I just saw an HP for $1099 at B&H with everything but the SSD. Maybe by the time I am ready SSD will be more popular as the system drive.

Aug 30, 2015 at 02:21 PM
travelair
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 4K video cards

Newbie around here, but have the following running in our new HP work machine, with a stock 300w power supply, driving a new HP Z27s monitor, at 4k and 60Hz refresh, over a Display Port cable. There should be no need to update your power supply, with this card.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3IDO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

FWIW, the HP monitor came with three cables, an HDMI, and mini-DP to DP, and a DP to DP. Both DP cables should have been able to support 4k@60Hz, but only the full-size DP cable worked. There isn't much data out there on that HP monitor, but it was my only choice if I wanted to go 4k at work, because it is a large institution, and to buy anything other than HP requires jumping through justification hoops. Profiled fine, but haven't paid much attention to the details.

Sep 04, 2015 at 09:21 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.