FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Flash Mob

gerov
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash Mob

I'm usually a good listener, and I told Ted that I would work on proper exposure before using flash on my hummers

However, last night, I made myself a flash bracket for my Sidekick and was itching to try it out, so I sat out hoping to get some last sunlight with a little help from a flash shots.

Here is what I ended up with I know they're not perfect, but this is how we learn...

Gero

Aug 28, 2015 at 06:41 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash Mob

2, 3 and 4 for me and I feel there a bit dark. The second is the brightest and my pick

Morris

Aug 28, 2015 at 06:58 PM
dorian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash Mob

Hi Gero

This is a nice start. I do not have ton of experience with hummers, but I do know that you are going to need a shutter speed at least 1/2500 for them. Thats 10x faster than in some of these shots. You're already got your ISO pushed up pretty high as well. It just looks like there is very little ambient light for you to work with. If possible, I would focus on dealing with the ambient light problem first. Hopefully you can shoot on a clearer day or at a different time. If you can manage that then you'll be able to improve on this fine start.

Aug 28, 2015 at 06:58 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash Mob

morris wrote:
2, 3 and 4 for me and I feel there a bit dark. The second is the brightest and my pick

Morris

Morris,
Thanks for the feedback. I've brightened the last two up a little bit. I hope this is better

Gero

Aug 28, 2015 at 07:05 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash Mob

This is an improvement. If you can get your exposures correct out of the camera you will save a lot of work in post and avoid artifacts that can happen when you try to correct in post.

I agree with Ted, good flash results start with a good ambient exposure

Aug 28, 2015 at 07:32 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash Mob

Not disagreeing with either of you, but ambient light was fading very quickly, and this was just to see how the flash would work. Clearly not my preference, but you don't know till you try.

Thanks for the follow up comments, Morris.

Gero

Aug 28, 2015 at 07:41 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash Mob

I'm not a fan of flash, but you got better results than I did when I used a flash with hummers, to the point that I decided not to use it anymore. These don't look "flashy" like mine, so I checked the Exif to see your settings. To my surprise I read: "Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode" in all of your images posted. So, I'm wandering if there is something wrong with your flash or with the Exif data because I do see a catchlight in all of these.
Socrate

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:55 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash Mob

Nice set. I do use flash quite often on my hummingbird shots as I too am usually shooting in shade or very fading light. The little guys seem to want to show up late in the day

I have taken some tricks and tips from Morris. I do use a flash extender , either the better beamer or the Harbor Digital extender. I use high speed sync, in i-ttl mode . The flash is mounted on a bracket down the lens barrel .
I also dial in anywhere from -1.7 to -3 flash evaluation.

Birdie

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:04 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash Mob

Socrate,
I did use a flash on a bracket mounted to my Sidekick, with a Canon off camera shoe cord. Although the flash fired, I did not get the flash symbol in the viewfinder like I do when it's mounted in the hotshoe. I wonder if that is a function of the fact that it is an older cord. I can still set up the flash functions on the camera, so I know the camera recognizes the flash. Weird...

Birdie,
I have a flash extender, but haven't used it yet. May try it out this evening. Thanks for the suggestion. I figured that at closer distances, it would blind the birds .

Gero

Aug 29, 2015 at 01:14 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.