p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · An interesting article to consider

Saw this today and found it interesting:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2015/08/the-future-of-photography.html

Aug 28, 2015 at 06:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · An interesting article to consider

Reading an article like this always makes me wonder why I still do photography. Of course he shows that there is nothing really new here, just that more people are doing it and that the technology Democratizes it. IE, makes it available to all.

But give any two people the same technology and one will probably use it better. Or as with landscape or nature photography, the gear is peripheral to the time and effort and cost to get and stay at the most likely places to get the shot. You need to have naturalists skills and means. But picture Ansal Adams toting an 8x10 camera into the wilderness and nothing here has changed either. It just got easier, but by no means easy.

For those who manipulate the image, or who seek odd ball subject matter, a different skill set is required. What separates the masters from the rest is degree and is made possible by natural skills and personal drive.

If you judge your own work against the best out there, it will be very disheartening. It has to be a personal journey and I find it best to avoid letting anything I do become a competition.

Aug 29, 2015 at 09:06 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · An interesting article to consider

Well damn! I guess I should have read this BEFORE I just ordered my shiny new 100-400II.

NOT!!!

Those types of articles are always kinda depressing to me but in the end it does actually bold down to what Ben mentioned. And yep, some folks can get lucky with their Iphone6 and snap a nice shot but unless they spend the time to learn photography and time in the field that's all the image will ever be, a snap shot.

Technology will always be changing in every aspect of our world but true photography will always require the extra effort to learn and capture impressive images. Sorta like stock car racing. Everybody drives a car everyday but they sure as hell can't win any races when they're up against the pros.

Dave

Aug 29, 2015 at 03:23 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.