FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Another Dawn

stagates
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another Dawn

This photo was taken on August 22nd near Bayport, Hernando County, Florida. I would appreciate any comments favorable or not. Thank you.

f/11, shutter speed 1/8, ISO 200

Aug 28, 2015 at 01:44 PM
slobodan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another Dawn

I do not mean to sound unfavorable, but as I mentioned on your other post, there is a serious green presence in both photos. In this one it is between the blue portion of the sky and the orange one. Also, there is a small patch of green grass on the left, where it meets the tree, that is too bright, too green and too saturated.

Aug 28, 2015 at 01:49 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another Dawn

The greenish sky is fine with me if that's what you were seeing at the time. I know that the sky can be green under some conditions. The cut off trees on the left detract from the composition in my opinion. You might try cropping to 4x5 to get rid of them without losing too much sky. I like the reflections of the Palm trees.

Heron

Aug 28, 2015 at 02:09 PM
stagates
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another Dawn

Thank you for your comments. I don't see the problem and could use your help on this. Wouldn't it be natural for there to be a green tinge where the blue sky fades into the yellow reflected sunlight in the clouds. Blue + yellow = green, I believe. I am shooting in raw with "daylight" white balance and am not changing the saturation or color in post processing. I do shoot with a Lee hard grad to even out the exposure. Do you have any recommendations for how I might get the green out if that is desirable? Thank you for any help.

Aug 28, 2015 at 02:14 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another Dawn

It's weird because there is a very distinct line between the Green and the Blue in the sky.

Just for fun, since you shot it in raw, open it up in camera raw and turn the white balance to auto and see what happens....

Aug 28, 2015 at 02:31 PM
stagates
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another Dawn

Brad Williams wrote:
It's weird because there is a very distinct line between the Green and the Blue in the sky.

Just for fun, since you shot it in raw, open it up in camera raw and turn the white balance to auto and see what happens....

This is very interesting.

Daylight: Temp 5500; Tint +10

Cloudy: Temp 6500; Tint +10 (More yellow less blue)

Auto: Temp 3950; Tint +3 (Much more blue & much less yellow - no green)

What does this mean? I should always use Auto, sometimes use auto or ?

Aug 28, 2015 at 02:57 PM
slobodan
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another Dawn

... What does this mean? I should always use Auto, sometimes use auto or ?

Definitely not always. But certainly worth toggling between several options to see which one suits the scene and what you are trying to achieve the best.

By the way, you say you are not doing much to color in post processing, but the image looks like heavily processed. Have you checked your camera profiles (in your raw converter)? Perhaps you are using a landscape profile, which tends to boost saturation and contrast?

Another thing: it is quite visible that a grad ND filter was used: the lower half of the tree far left is lighter than the upper half.

Aug 28, 2015 at 04:06 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another Dawn

stagates wrote:
Thank you for your comments. I don't see the problem and could use your help on this. Wouldn't it be natural for there to be a green tinge where the blue sky fades into the yellow reflected sunlight in the clouds. Blue + yellow = green, I believe. I am shooting in raw with "daylight" white balance and am not changing the saturation or color in post processing. I do shoot with a Lee hard grad to even out the exposure. Do you have any recommendations for how I might get the green out if that is desirable? Thank you
...Show more

Green in the sky is not natural unless you are shooting an Aurora. If you see green in the sky in a normal landscape image, you know something is wrong.

As for the WB, myself, I always always always shoot in Auto WB. While I know some people who change it, the WB is constantly changing, and even though we define it as "Daylight" etc, there is a reason we can dial in the WB to exactly the right temp. You start changing the WB and next thing you know you forget to change it for the next shoot and you have purple skies, or you are shooting indoors and everyone is yellow,etc.. My advice is to leave it on Auto, especially as it looks like you are still learning and growing with your photography.

In scenes like this where there are objects sticking up into the sky and in between you have open sky, are times you should not be using an ND grad. ND grads are great for times when everything across your horizon is fairly even. So shooting a sunset say at the beach where there is nothing but water along the horizon would be great. A distance shot of mountains a ND grad can work, but a close up shot of mountains where the peaks poke up into the sky you would not use an ND grad. Learn to do layer masking, that is the most powerful way to shoot and blend your images so they look natural. You will not have any revealing ND grad lines in them.

I think that's about it.

Jim

Aug 28, 2015 at 04:33 PM
slobodan
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another Dawn

... I always always always shoot in Auto WB. ...

Correct Jim. I realize after reading your post that what I said above ("definitely not always") could easily be misinterpreted. My bad. I also almost always shoot with Auto WB. What I meant is "definitely not always" use Auto WB in your post-processing, but toggle it to see what works best.

The only time worth switching from Auto WB is when shooting panoramas, where you'd want to end up with the same WB across all the shots.

Aug 28, 2015 at 04:40 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another Dawn

slobodan wrote:
Correct Jim. I realize after reading your post that what I said above ("definitely not always") could easily be misinterpreted. My bad. I also almost always shoot with Auto WB. What I meant is "definitely not always" use Auto WB in your post-processing, but toggle it to see what works best.

The only time worth switching from Auto WB is when shooting panoramas, where you'd want to end up with the same WB across all the shots.

Thanks for clarifying about the WB and good point about shooting Pano's. The WB can change between shots as you move the camera view. But my habit when processing those shots is to pull them all in as a group into ACR to convert, so when I adjust the WB along with the other settings, I will select Synchronize, so then even if the WB had shifted, all the shots in the image will be synced with the same settings including the WB.

Jim

Aug 28, 2015 at 05:04 PM
slobodan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another Dawn

... good point about shooting Pano's. The WB can change between shots as you move the camera view. But my habit when processing those shots is to pull them all in as a group into ACR to convert, so when I adjust the WB along with the other settings, I will select Synchronize, so then even if the WB had shifted, all the shots in the image will be synced with the same settings including the WB.
Jim

Yes, I was doing the same when using ACR or Lightroom. I recently switched to PTGUI Pro, however, and it uses original, unmodified raw files. It does have some advance options to optimize WB if different between shots, but it would still be easier to start with the same WB, I think.

Aug 28, 2015 at 05:16 PM
stagates
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another Dawn

JimFox wrote:
Green in the sky is not natural unless you are shooting an Aurora. If you see green in the sky in a normal landscape image, you know something is wrong.

As for the WB, myself, I always always always shoot in Auto WB. While I know some people who change it, the WB is constantly changing, and even though we define it as "Daylight" etc, there is a reason we can dial in the WB to exactly the right temp. You start changing the WB and next thing you know you forget to change it for the next shoot and you
...Show more

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. You say learn to do layer masking. I wonder if you could suggest where I might learn to do that? Any tutorials or articles?

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:15 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another Dawn

There has been discussion on WB so I will pass over that and it should be an easy fix in pp. The shot itself has some good things going for it. My on suggestion is to crop the tree making your left side. It constrict an otherwise "openness " that this shot otherwise conveys and IMO needs.
The best to all,
Greg

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:40 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Another Dawn

What graduated neutral density filter are you using? I feel the filter might be causing this. Or, if it's within Lightroom or Photoshop, check the settings on the filter.
Brand?

As was stated above, looking at the tree on the left it's a dead giveaway.

Aug 29, 2015 at 08:04 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Another Dawn

I'm with ckcarr. I think it is the GND filter. I notice the green is more pronounced right at the graduation line, especially on the left side where that overly green patch of grass is. There is definitely some cast there. What's throwing me off is the green reflection in the water - that should be in the clear area of the filter and that probably shouldn't be green, IDK. It is likely that the dark area of the GND is at a different WB than the rest of the area, depending on its quality. Very unusual.

And being a few degrees north in Pensacola, Florida, I can't say that I have ever seen green skies at any time, including sun rise or set.

It's a very nice scene, that green just throws it off. Hopefully you can solve the issue.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:35 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Another Dawn

stagates wrote:
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. You say learn to do layer masking. I wonder if you could suggest where I might learn to do that? Any tutorials or articles?

Layer Masking tutorials or guides? Now that is a good question. I haven't had to look up anything on that in years because it has just been second nature for me for many years now, so no tutorials pop into my mind.

Back in the day Luminous Landscape on their website had lot's of great tutorials, and I did learn a thing or two about how I wanted to do Layer Masking from pulling bits and details from their writing. But I just went to their website now to look for you, and I am sure the tutorials are still there, but wow they are buried under a massive list. So the best I can suggest is to go to their website and look around, or go to a local book store and look through some books on Photoshop, there are plenty that are very helpful. And of course you could just use good old Google to look for some tutorials. But sorry, there is nothing that comes to my mind immediately.

Jim

Aug 29, 2015 at 01:04 PM
Brian Woolf
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Another Dawn

By the way, I do like this image a lot, it's the openness and distance that is beautiful. I don't think that the tree on the left does anything for the image, so I would crop it out and feature that great expanse, dotted with trees and palms. The grasses at the bottom work nicely just a little problem on the left with a dark area below the slightly further tuft of grass.

On your green problem, do you notice it or not with your eyes when you are making the photo? I realize that it would be difficult to remember but check it out on further shoots.
Check your camera for any odd settings, like "Film Modes" that could have accidentially been activated, or anything else as they have the kitchen sink in there
What are you processing your images in - LightRoom or Photoshop ACR or something else. I use LR and have sometimes forgotten to change from work import profile and get some odd looking stuff.
My choice is daylight white balance as I get the most neutral and natural looking colors for what I do. Using Nikons.
Brian

Aug 29, 2015 at 04:29 PM
flpicshooter

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Another Dawn

It does look very strange and impossible but in south Florida there have been a few rare times I have seen a sunset with orange and green colors. When I have seen this phenomenon, it was at sunset with cumulus clouds with an intense orange glow which had a green outline . I did take a couple photos once but deleted them because the foreground was of very uninteresting houses in the neighborhood. But the green sky clearly appeared in the picture.
The next time I spot the green sky, I will take another photo and post it.

Aug 29, 2015 at 07:00 PM
rocco61
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Another Dawn

Beautiful Golden lights

Aug 30, 2015 at 04:41 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.