Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

reggieb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

I wanted to share my recent (positive) experience with Nikon service. I've heard a lot of negative things about dealing with Nikon USA, so I wanted to share my tale that went well. It might have helped that I was paying for the repair, there was never a question of this being a warranty repair. It was absolutely impact damage to a lens that was well outside its warranty window. Still, the amount of work done, how fast it was finished, for the price paid was more than fair.

My story begins with my 14-24, mounted on my D3s, it rolled to my truck door one day and fell to the ground when I opened it. The zoom action got rough, but it seemed fine otherwise. I used it for quite a while like that. Nikon quoted something crazy for the repair, like $800. Matt Granger has a video where he describes the same problem after his took a fall. His repair cost even more (they had to replace the lens barrel if I recall). After it started to get worse, I found someone that would do the repair for $100. The barrel was deformed, and he fixed it. All was good. The lens performed as new.

Well around a week after getting it back, my girlfriend threw my camera bag over her shoulder. Unfortunately, the bag was open, and the 14-24 took flying lessons. At this point, the lens was stuck at 15mm, but the image was fine. I sent it back to the first guy, paid another $100, and he repaired the aperture blades, apparently the culprit this time. Again, it zoomed, but there was an issue with image quality. When I got a D800 the problem was glaring. It zoomed, but wide open the edges of the frame were just mush. It was terrible. It actually wreaked havoc on a whole vacation's worth of photos.

Well, I decided I had to bite the bullet and send it to Nikon. They quoted me $420 now for the repair. Much less than previously, but I definitely feared that, given the prior repairs, they would open it up and come back with a higher price. Well, it arrived home today after being gone a week, and it's working perfectly. Along with the lens came a slip describing the repair. My $420 basically got me a new 14-24.

The following parts were replaced:
Lens unit
Bayonet mount
Cam ring
Main tube
Lens barrel unit
Front element lens
SWM

Repaired impact damage
Adjusted auto focus operation
Checked optical alignment
Checked resolution
Check communication

And they cleaned it.

Not going to lie, that's a pretty good price for all of that. And it really is working like new again. I've also heard that they are sometimes cryptic on their description of what they actually did to repair a camera or lens. This must have changed, because this was a pretty detailed description of what they did. The repair was well worth what I paid. This lens is getting babied now.

Aug 27, 2015 at 08:19 PM
jbonzo1
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

That's a lot of work and parts for $420.
Just keep it away from your truck and girlfriend!

Aug 27, 2015 at 09:40 PM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

No Nikon complaint so thread may not get much attention which is to bad. Nikon does a lot of things well.

Aug 28, 2015 at 08:11 AM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

Which repair center did you use?

Eltano

Aug 28, 2015 at 08:34 AM
reggieb
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

jbonzo1 wrote:
That's a lot of work and parts for $420.
Just keep it away from your truck and girlfriend!

Haha, I should add - then girlfriend, now fiancee, soon to be boss. I can keep it from the truck, but she works as my very talented second. And like I said, she'll be the boss soon. I might not be able to. I learned my lesson: never leave the camera bag unzipped. I might know that it is, but the people around me might assume that it's not and pick it up quickly as she did - she felt terrible when it happened. But as I told her at the time, that was really my fault.

---------------------------------------------

barisaxer wrote:
No Nikon complaint so thread may not get much attention which is to bad. Nikon does a lot of things well.

Yeah, but I've heard rumblings that they've been improving things. I suspect they've learned some important lessons after some PR problems recently, and thus they're improving sercice. That deserves to be noted. If the market is to work like it's supposed to, bad treatment by companies should be pointed out, but so should the good. That incentivizes good treatment of customers.

---------------------------------------------

eltano wrote:
Which repair center did you use?

Eltano

It went to Melville, NY. UPS tracking indicated that the lens came back from "NIKON/CAMTECH SVCS" so it was Camtech that performed the actual repair. But I just used what Nikon told me to when I entered the lens information in the service section on their web site.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:06 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

Sorry, positive experiences with Nikon USA service are not allowed here. Only negative rants.

Thread has been reported, and should be removed soon.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:31 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

Wrong title for this thread, fixed it for you:

"Girlfriend USA experience - It was bad!"

Aug 30, 2015 at 03:38 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

I've personally sent several items to Nikon for repair - both cameras and lenses - and most of it under warranty. They have always been quick with no BS. I like to think that most people's experience is like that, but it's still unfortunate when people have a legitimate problem and Nikon gives them grief over it.

Aug 30, 2015 at 08:19 AM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

Good for you! I had a similar experience with a TC-14E. The mount was looking a little ragged so I sent it in. I paid $147 and they put new lens elements in as well as the new mount. Except for the barrel scuffs it looked like new.

Aug 30, 2015 at 08:23 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon USA service experience - It was good!

Apparently that 14-24mm is not heavy enough if your girlfriend can launch it from your camera bag.

Aug 30, 2015 at 08:55 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.