New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

lukeiam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

Could use some guidance from better strobists than myself. I have an AB1600, vagabond, the works, and I have a 22" BD I use sometimes at home, but I don't want to lug that outside for a shoot. I also have a Softlighter, but that thing is a pain the butt to put on a AB (I didn't get the monolight diffuser originally). The softlighter is great for speedlights, though. So what's a good, collapsible, modifier that's like 40-50"? Hoping for something I could carry easily to a location, packs up. I'm ok with non-softboxes if the light is soft (like the Softlighter) -- I see Westcott makes a few excellently-reviewed diffusers, but I'm not sure how soft the light is (I'll attach a pics below of products I'm considering). There are just so many out there it's daunting for a lighting newb! Thanks!

Aug 27, 2015 at 01:17 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

If you want good light quality, ease of use, and ease of travel, a good white shoot through umbrella can't be beat. Get a good one though if you want it to last. These images were shot with a Quadra and 33' Elinchrom Pro, but I also love the new Profoto Deep umbrellas The quality is wonderful.

Aug 27, 2015 at 05:52 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

I agree with Greg. Both Elinchrom and Profoto make some great light modifiers. You can't really go wrong with either choice for quality and durability.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:32 PM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm hoping to spend no more than $1-150. No love on the Westcott umbrellas, assuming I'm using sandbags?

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

what I normally use on mine is a softbox umbrella, you can buy them on amazon, will fit strobes & speed lights, which is why I got them since it will fit any light I own. I am trying to remember the seller name, maybe cowboy studio....

Aug 28, 2015 at 08:20 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

In the $30 range pretty much any umbrella is the same thing. The Softlighter is a good choice but given the parameters you state I would buy a Profoto 33" White Umbrella Deep Translucent. You can add the black backing later and turn it into a Softbox. You can do lot with this combination and it will last for years.

Aug 28, 2015 at 08:46 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

How windy will it be where you shoot ?
Do you like round or square modifiers ?

I've bought a bunch of umbrellas, beauty dishes, softlighter, buff foldable boxes, PLM , etc and used them all outside. I'm still trying to find the "perfect" mix, but it depends on how much space I've got, how much wind there is , and how quickly I'll need to move.

Aug 29, 2015 at 09:55 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

I have a variety of soft boxes for indoor use, but for a more portable solution, I have ended up using shallow 8 sided soft boxes in the medium size range. My choice was Photoflex Octoboxes in the 3 foot size, which was cost effective and adaptable to my Profoto strobes. For you since you have an Alien Bee flash, I would recommend you check out their foldable Octabox in the Medium size, which is about a 3 foot unit. It is made to go right on to any Paul Buff flash, and can serve for indoor or outdoor use. I like the round shape to the catch lights you will get from an 8 sided soft box.

The size is a bit tricky if any wind comes up, but the shallow style is easier to control than a full depth soft box. With wind as an issue, always be careful for the safety of your model by securing your light stands and strobe properly, and also stopping the shoot if the wind starts picking up.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM
lukeiam
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

Thanks for all The help and discussion here. I'm almost wondering if I should just use my beauty dish for outdoor use since the wind won't be a problem and it's certainly heavy. I'd consider the softlighter more, but it's really designed more for speedlite, though I can hook it to the AB by pushing the reflector into the sleeve. Do you all like 22-inch BDs for outdoor use? Setup time is my constraint. Sometimes I used AB bare for action (HSS) stuff - with just the reflector, that is.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:54 AM
mpstan

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

why not a pcb 47" Octa? Easy as an umbrella to take down and set up; ALMOST in your price range; beautiful soft light....... although I'm just commenting from images I've seen with its use; I've not actually gotten mine gong yet....... good luck

Aug 30, 2015 at 04:45 PM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

crashwins wrote:
Thanks for all The help and discussion here. I'm almost wondering if I should just use my beauty dish for outdoor use since the wind won't be a problem and it's certainly heavy. I'd consider the softlighter more, but it's really designed more for speedlite, though I can hook it to the AB by pushing the reflector into the sleeve. Do you all like 22-inch BDs for outdoor use? Setup time is my constraint. Sometimes I used AB bare for action (HSS) stuff - with just the reflector, that is.

I would use a bd over my soft box if I hade one. Get or make a front diffuser and now you have a soft box look with round catch lights and less wind prone. Win win. The problem with bd is their price, but once you have one use it for sure!

Aug 30, 2015 at 08:29 PM
PhilF
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Good Softbox for AB1600?

EZ pro octabox ... cheap and very easy to assemble.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:27 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.