Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Kardan Remy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Looking to buy a used D600 locally and was just wondering what the fair price is? The one I'm looking at is $800 with 21425 shutter count and just got a new shutter assembly replaced.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:25 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

eBay sold listings search shows that in the last few days, they have been selling between $700-$900 including from people claiming "mint, low shutter count" with all accessories and the higher priced ones having a few extras thrown in. With 24-85 included they have been going closer to $1,000 in the last few days.

Looking at the FM buy & sell over the last 2 weeks, asking prices seem to be between $700 and $800 which is consistent with eBay (especially after the high eBay fees).

I'd say the asking price of $800 is fair, so if you could get it for $700-750 you would be doing good IMHO (assuming excellent condition). Even better, if you can coax some more oil out of that new shutter, Nikon will send you a new D610

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Even better, if you can coax some more oil out of that new shutter, Nikon will send you a new D610
Got a refurb w/da fix and have put 20+K on 'er...
not a freakin' drop of oil (or dust for that matter)
Lightwt backup to my D810/800's...great sensor!

Aug 27, 2015 at 04:16 PM
klb1122
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Just sold mine with 50k on the shutter, about 20k on the new one for $675. Felt like a swift kick to the junk. It's the absolute best deal in photography right now. The sensor is awesome, I'm just lusting after a D810.

Aug 27, 2015 at 04:44 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

I would be interested in one for about $600, so long as you are willing to clean sensors yourself... Nikon really screwed people over with the D600. If they do anything like that again, I am probably going ditch my Nikon gear for another setup...

Aug 27, 2015 at 04:47 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

What you guys think about the AF point clusters on it (largely at the center of the frame)? I think I can afford a D600 but I don't shoot and recompose...considering that you have over 39 AF points. It seems kind of silly to focus and to recompose.....

Aug 27, 2015 at 05:16 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Depends, workin' any action the X-AF sensors rule...especially in low light (11 of 'em)
Never held me back, guess it depends what ya plan on shootin'

Aug 27, 2015 at 05:21 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Yeah, but Da Monkey could get great shots with an old Kodak Brownie!

Aug 27, 2015 at 09:30 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

oguruma wrote:
I would be interested in one for about $600, so long as you are willing to clean sensors yourself... Nikon really screwed people over with the D600. If they do anything like that again, I am probably going ditch my Nikon gear for another setup...

What they did while a little late, was really quite reasonable. Not only will they provide free lifetime sensor cleans and shutter replacements, but if you need more than 1-2 new shutters they send you a brand new D610. That is more than any other company has ever offered to fix an issue. The Canon 1-series still has only offered free cleanings for oil issues, nothing more, and that is a $6000 flagship. No service advisory for their shutter issue either.

TooManyShots wrote:
What you guys think about the AF point clusters on it (largely at the center of the frame)? I think I can afford a D600 but I don't shoot and recompose...considering that you have over 39 AF points. It seems kind of silly to focus and to recompose.....

I had a D810 and D600 at the same time for a while, and honestly there isn't much difference in AF point coverage. The D810 has slightly wider coverage but I did not encounter a single situation in tens of thousands of frames where I couldn't get my shot because of the AF cluster. The difference is almost zero in landscape top/bottom, but in portrait (or side-to-side landscape) there is about 1 extra AF point more coverage:

http://www.digitalreviewcanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Nikon-D600-vs-D800-AF-points2.jpg

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:03 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Yeah, I don't see what they offered as a "solution" as being reasonable at all. For one thing, they refused to acknowledge that they sold be people defective crap. Either they weren't able to discover this widespread problem in their own testing (incompetence? negligence) or they knew, and they released it either (negligence coupled with deceit?). I suspect the latter is the case. I find it very hard to believe that Nikon didn't know about the problem before they released it.

Many professionals use the D600 to make a living. Asking them to not have the tool they need to make their money for several weeks out of the year is ridiculous.

I don't really care what Canon did. If Canon did something even more messed up, then I wouldn't patronize them, either. That argument is akin to saying "hey, this guy screws you pretty hard, but at least he doesn't screw you as hard as the guy across the street".

Either way, Nikon pretty much showed us that they are willing to let us spend $2,000 to beta test their gear for them, and then when we find a defect, they refuse to properly take care of it. Saying "hey, just place your $2,000 + camera out of service for a month every few months so we can keep cleaning it due to our defect, we don't care that you just bought it a couple months ago" is NOT an acceptable solution. YMMV. Either way, I will let the fanboys drink the Kool-Aid for at least the first year to find the defects.

Also, on a somewhat related topic, what's the deal with the widespread problems with the 300 F4 VR? Any solution to the issues with that? Has Nikon decided that the people that purchased that $2,000 piece glass are SOL on that too?

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:51 PM
Kardan Remy

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Thank you for all the information! I plan to go test the camera out tomorrow... Any advice on what should I be looking for? Thanks again for all your helps!

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:27 AM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

I would look for a bunch of dust on the sensor, but I think you can probably rest assured you will find that..

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:31 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

oguruma wrote:
I would look for a bunch of dust on the sensor, but I think you can probably rest assured you will find that..

I'm not sure why you're being so negative. The OP is asking genuine questions about a perfectly good camera.

1) If there is dust/oil (the problem is not universal), there is a lifetime shutter replacement warranty. Dust alone does not mean it's a problem camera, as any sensor can be dusty and even have oil spots. The most common thing to look for is a disproportionate amount of oil spots in the top left of the image. If it has the issue, one option is to offer him less and get a new shutter or free D610 a while later whenever you feel like it.

2) If Nikon has to fix it more than 1-2 times, you get a brand new D610 which has no such issues.

The issue is nipped in the butt almost right away these days for anyone with a problem D600. The worst case scenario is you are without your camera for a few weeks before they either replace the shutter or give you a brand new camera. I know people who have purposely bought high mileage pre-fix D600's just so they could get a D610 a couple weeks later from Nikon - hell of a deal if you ask me.

Aug 28, 2015 at 02:23 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

I bought one for 800 in June, sounds like a fair price. Great camera.

Mine did have oil on the sensor. Couldn't see it on the sensor itself, only in the photos. Nikon cleaned and put a new shutter assembly in it, looks great now. To be honest I'm hoping it sprays again so they'll turn it into a 610.

Aug 28, 2015 at 08:25 AM
jbonzo1
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

CanadaMark wrote:
I'm not sure why you're being so negative. The OP is asking genuine questions about a perfectly good camera.

1) If there is dust/oil (the problem is not universal), there is a lifetime shutter replacement warranty. Dust alone does not mean it's a problem camera, as any sensor can be dusty and even have oil spots. The most common thing to look for is a disproportionate amount of oil spots in the top left of the image. If it has the issue, one option is to offer him less and get a new shutter or free D610 a while later whenever
...Show more

^^^
This should be the first response for any "Should I buy a D600?" thread.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Question, I bought my D600 used from a local camera store. It needs a cleaning as there is a spot in images, but I haven't looked too closely at the actual body to see what it is. Will Nikon clean it for free? Or do you have to be the original purchaser of the camera?

Aug 28, 2015 at 02:44 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Got a refurb w/da fix and have put 20+K on 'er...
not a freakin' drop of oil (or dust for that matter)
Lightwt backup to my D810/800's...great sensor!

Nikon put a new shutter in mine - 3k clicks later it was worse than after 10k clicks before. Going back for another fix or whatever they will do. My guess is that the fix is a hit or miss, or they didn't fix mine at all, just cleaned it and sent it back hoping I wouldn't return it a second time.

Aug 28, 2015 at 03:27 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

myboostedgst wrote:
Question, I bought my D600 used from a local camera store. It needs a cleaning as there is a spot in images, but I haven't looked too closely at the actual body to see what it is. Will Nikon clean it for free? Or do you have to be the original purchaser of the camera?

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hs309y82/Updated-Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D600-Digital-SLR-Camera.html

Aug 28, 2015 at 03:29 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

pburke wrote:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hs309y82/Updated-Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D600-Digital-SLR-Camera.html

The link says "all users, even if it is out of warranty". That does leave it slight ambiguous, meaning that even if the body is out of warranty but you purchased it new they will cover it. But it does sound as if they will clean it as long as you currently own it, regardless of original purchaser or not.

Aug 28, 2015 at 03:52 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What is a fair price for a used D600?

Doesn't sound ambiguous to me. They will fix it no matter who sent it in, forever. Or I guess until they run out of parts

My experience, they put in a new shutter and did a full check on the camera. They also calibrated it and cleaned the outside, it looked like it had just come out of the box new.

Aug 28, 2015 at 04:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.