Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

Really interested in the new element; it looks very promising. (Especially as canon Never innovates - according to some ....).

Aug 29, 2015 at 05:56 AM
nntnam
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

Just a dumb question. I saw this image from petapixel

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2015/08/brdescription.jpg

Does that mean this lens can fix LoCA? If so can we call it an APO lens?

Aug 29, 2015 at 06:08 AM
whumber
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

nntnam wrote:

That seems to be the idea. If you look at the sample images we have so far, there seems to be a complete lack of fringing wide open; but we'll have to wait to see how well it really works.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:19 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

nntnam wrote:

I have not seen Canon labelled any of its lens as APO, but I think there are plenty of Canon lenses can fit in this category.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:52 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

chez wrote:
Only if you can see the difference in your final result.

I could see a difference between 70-200 2.8 IS and non-IS at 200mm center frame. The
non-IS definitely had more micro-contrast and it also had a lot less purple fringing. The IS II is supposed to be even better than the 2.8 non-IS (even more so at the edges where the non-iS became fairly weak on FF (if still superb on APS-C).

Difference didn't matter as much for sports action though as for other stuff.

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:38 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

GC5 wrote:
Really interested in the new element; it looks very promising. (Especially as canon Never innovates - according to some ....).

According to some who? All those getting on them for video/body features and sensors had given and still do give plenty of praise to the lenses. Imagine if the other half of the company did what the lens half is doing....

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:39 PM
nntnam
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

hiepphotog wrote:
I have not seen Canon labelled any of its lens as APO, but I think there are plenty of Canon lenses can fit in this category.

Hmm... Can you list some name? I haven't seen any like that. Most of canon's large aperture lenses suffer from LoCA although they have excellent Lateral CA control.

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:48 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

nntnam wrote:
Hmm... Can you list some name? I haven't seen any like that. Most of canon's large aperture lenses suffer from LoCA although they have excellent Lateral CA control.

Before I list a few here, I would like to put the APO designation in context. With the exception of the Otii, APO has been used mostly for relatively fast telephoto lenses in the past. It's said that APO design doesn't work well on WA/UWA so it's a wasted effort; I don't understand optical design well enough to know why. You have some SuperAchromat (better corrected than APO) 50ish 135-format lenses but they're all slow. Only recently, that you see Zeiss and Leica would label their fast 50 as APO (or even 85). With that, I would consider lenses like the Canon 200/2 (or even the 1.8), 300/2.8 and longer top L lenses to be APO. Some of the Zeiss and Leica lenses were labelled as APO (say 200/2 APO-Sonnar or the APO Cron) is not as "APO" as you would think by today standards. Heck Tamron and Sigma used to label indiscriminately many of their lenses as APO.

Aug 29, 2015 at 01:05 PM
nntnam
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

hiepphotog wrote:
Before I list a few here, I would like to put the APO designation in context. With the exception of the Otii, APO has been used mostly for relatively fast telephoto lenses in the past. It's said that APO design doesn't work well on WA/UWA so it's a wasted effort; I don't understand optical design well enough to know why. You have some SuperAchromat (better corrected than APO) 50ish 135-format lenses but they're all slow. Only recently, that you see Zeiss and Leica would label their fast 50 as APO (or even 85). With that, I would consider lenses like
...Show more

You are right. Totally forgot about those canon's beasts you just mentioned. Thanks for the info

Aug 29, 2015 at 01:27 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

Canon could put an APO mark on it, but they chose to turn it into marketing terms. BR optic is abnormal dispersion glass in industry.

Sep 08, 2015 at 02:50 AM
yauyi
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

based on the MTF chart alone, looks like the 35L2 is the sharpest 35mm on earth, worthy of US$5K price tag, fortunately it is heavily discounted at only $1799 now.

Sep 10, 2015 at 05:25 PM
dantewaters
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

leftcoastlefty wrote:
Meh. I'm perfectly happy with my Sigma Art.

So am I if they update the 135mm maybe I'd be inclined to check it out.

Sep 17, 2015 at 02:58 PM
darbo
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

phuang3 wrote:
Canon could put an APO mark on it, but they chose to turn it into marketing terms. BR optic is abnormal dispersion glass in industry.

APO is a marketing term too, but BR works better because it's less familiar. It gives the illusion that Canon is innovating.

Nonetheless, it looks amazing and I would love to have it in my bag regardless of how it is marketed.

Sep 17, 2015 at 03:01 PM
dantewaters
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

APO what's that?

Sep 17, 2015 at 03:27 PM
darbo
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

dantewaters wrote:
APO what's that?

Apochromatic

Sep 17, 2015 at 03:36 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

darbo wrote:
APO is a marketing term too, but BR works better because it's less familiar. It gives the illusion that Canon is innovating.

Nonetheless, it looks amazing and I would love to have it in my bag regardless of how it is marketed.

I don't think it's an illusion at all since I have not seen such technique done any where else. Glass and additives are inorganic in nature, so this whole organic element sandwiching between two glass element is quite innovative (well glue and coatings for these elements are organic though).

In the end, the result is what counts. The new 35 seems to have very low CA (all types) and monochromatic aberration while maintaining very smooth bokeh. The new Milvus 50 employs ASPH and APD element to get low aberration as well (in fact not as low as this lens), and its bokeh is already not as smooth. The Art 35 is also a prime example of using "normal" exotic elements for aberration correction that would mess up the bokeh.

Sep 17, 2015 at 07:28 PM
Dietrich

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

Slrgear has tested the EF 35/1.4L II - very impressive.

Nov 23, 2015 at 03:39 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

Just got mine last week, and it's very nice and sharp.

Nov 23, 2015 at 04:19 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

Where is the 24MM?

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM
zlatko
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II announced ($1,799)

darbo wrote:

When a lens is this good, I don't care what they call it. Canon is doing what matters.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.