Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mono Lake Photography

pnewman87

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mono Lake Photography

Here are a few pictures I took while exploring Mono Lake. All pictures were taken on Nikon D810 with 20mm. The night shots were taken at 5000-6400 ISO and F2.0-4.0 at 20 seconds

Any feedback on improvements would be great. I am still trying to explore with best Aperture and ISO combination is for sharp stars with keeping noise as low as possible. Does anyone take two separate shots with night photography? One for the sky and an additional for the foreground then merge them. Still trying to improve my night photography so any suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

Aug 26, 2015 at 06:11 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mono Lake Photography

Preston,
These look really really nice.
I'm not a huge fan of light painting, mostly because it is very difficult to make it look good compared to natural light (twilight). For this I prefer #1 over #2.
In #4 I might try to pull the tufas over to the right so that they are more vertical.
In the last image, my favorite of your night comps because you have a bit more foreground, I'd cool the sky color balance.
Night sky advice, , you've got the night sky photography down already.
very nice, all of them, but I think #3 is the money shot and could be larger in its own thread any day.

I wouldn't bother with multiple exposures unless you are tracking the night sky, or taking a separate foreground image during twilight which provides nice soft shadowless light and less noise. A nice twilight foreground can really compliment your sky. Consider taking the sky shot in front of any obstructions though.

David

Aug 26, 2015 at 06:20 PM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mono Lake Photography

I'll pick the first image as a favorite!

It has more of a 'being there' feeling to me.

Were these with the new 20mm F1.8?

Aug 26, 2015 at 06:40 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mono Lake Photography

Hey Preston,

#1 and 2 are my favorites, perhaps tone down the light painting in #2 a little bit more. I agree with David about cooling the images some. I also think most of them need WA perspective adjustments.

Jim

PS. No need to use the word "Photography" in your title, after all this is a photography forum, so that you are posting photographs goes without saying.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:17 PM
pnewman87

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mono Lake Photography

Thank you very much for all you replies. I will take the feedback and do some adjustments to the editing to improve.

These were all taken on the 20mm 1.8. So far I have really liked the lens.

Aug 27, 2015 at 07:00 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.